“Tops in Tucson!”

Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa
Ranked #25 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed October 9, 2009

This resort exceeded our expectations ! The recently renovated rooms are spacious, clean, upscale with travertine tile baths, heavenly beds, large plasma tvs, and leather sofas in the living areas of the suites. The furnishings and cleanliness are top notch! My husband was happy because he got on the internet really quickly in our room.

The resort location is on 80 lush desert acres with panoramic mountain views in north Tucson near the Catalina Mountain range. This is no chain hotel, but rather a true Tucson resort experience, from hiking trails to horseback riding, wildlife watching, and scenery galore from balconies or patios. The wildlife viewing is astounding! Within the first few minutes sitting on my patio, I saw hummingbirds, a phainopepla (black cardinal), a painted redstart bird (rare), cardinals, and much more. Doves, cardinals, quail, cactus wrens, thrashers, finches, bunnies, a herd of 18 javalina ( wild pig like mammals), are just some of the wildlife residents that inhabit the property. The vegetation is pristine, with trees, cactus, bushes, right next to the patios of the rooms. I didn't see the javalinas, but I saw everything else that I just mentioned. A patio chair was knocked over in the morning, which only a javalina could have done.

The restaurants at the resort serve deliciously prepared and presented entrees. We were very pleased with everything we ordered for breakfast and lunch served on the patio, with views of the mountains behind us, and views of the city in the distance south of us. The servers were great and the food was delicious. The Gold Room is renowed for its food and has a patio with views of the city lights at night.

Westward Look has a new super equipped fitness center, lap pool and tennis courts north of the rooms (short walk), again with the spectacular Catalina Mountains looming over the resort. There is a spa, which we didn't have a chance to use. The resort staff was very helpful and friendly, willing to answer questions, and stopping to say hi and offer advice. This resort is above and beyond many other resorts in the area. We will be back! We got a great deal from Orbitz online, which beat out the Embassy Suites by over $50 per night. There is a $12 additional resort fee not included in the pricing. Next time we'll go horsback riding, and the staff assured us that the horses are gentle, with a scenic ride on the trails on the Westward Look property. What a relaxing, beautiful place!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dianesocialworker
Write a ReviewReviews (2,930)

Reviewed October 9, 2009

This resort was gorgeous! Sitting at the foothills of the Catalina Mountain Range..breathtaking! They had hiking trails, great food, very nice rooms and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I have been planning this trip for months: my first trip back to Tucson since 1976. I am so glad I trusted the TripAdvisor ratings. Our seven days at the Westward Look were perfect. The room was enormous. The included breakfast was excellent. You must try the Sonoran Eggs Benedict. I had them three times. Also recommend the Peanut Butter Crunch French Toast. NOT something you want every day, but a guilty pleasure once.
Three pools, great views of the city and it sits at the foot of the magnificent Rincon mountain range. Watching the lightning approach during the afternoon Monsoons was more dramatic than I ever remembered. Horseback riding was a bargain, but an hour an a half was perhaps too much of a good thing. An hour would have been enough.
And the Staff! They were attentive but never pushy. Certainly never rude. Always delightful and helpful. Plus, they have a snake wrangler. If you spot a poor snake who has gotten lost [as we did twice], he will gently return the critter to the wild. Although surrounded by homes, this is still the desert, remember!
If you are concerned that the Westward Look is not posh enough for you, and if you are considering the Arizona Inn, consider this: we went to the Arizona Inn for dinner one evening and left with fleas! Yes, fleas! The Arizona Inn costs much more, has no views, only one public pool, but does have several incredible public rooms. Yet I won't set foot there again!
The renovations that some earlier reviewers complained about are virtually complete. The building next to ours was still under construction, but we never heard the slightest sound. Be aware that most of the rooms are located in a series of identical structures, each holding seven rooms. With 80 acres, you can end up a long way from the main pool, lobby and restaurants. If you want to be close to a pool, or the restaurants, specify that. There is a lot of parking available close to all the rooms, but if you are there on a busy weekend and you come in late, you may end up having to park far from your room. But one night's small inconvenience did not spoil this trip at all. Westward Look gets my highest rating and my thanks for a wonderful week.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TommyTurtleNYC
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Beautiful grounds and layout. The service was excellent from check-in, to the poolside service and room service. Room was all highend from the luxurious bed , the bathroom decor with travertine tile and the top of the line appliances. Great and spacious for entertaining guests and friends. The food was consistently good from the two restaurants. The pool and the grounds are very well kept and a nice poolside bar. Plenty to do on the grounds and very convenient to the best ot Tucson. The landscape is magnificent and we can't wait to return. Our best trip yet in 20+ years.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I chose the Westward Look after reading a locale resident's review that it was the best value in the area. I traveled to Tucson for business, and the Westward Look was exactly what I needed to relax. The staff was very accommodating in mapquesting my route to a business destination.

Although we had to drive to the lobby/breakfast area, we had a newly renovated, spacious room with a large flat screen tv and bathroom in a secluded area near a pool and hummingbird garden.

We enjoyed walking the nature trails with a wide variety of cacti, as well as visiting the small nature museum above the gift shop. Unfortunately, the night walk along the nature trail was cancelled.

The sumptous breakfast, at our option, was served outdoors overlooking a second pool. The wide range of breakfast choices was included in our Summer Sizzling package.

I enjoyed swimming in yet a third pool, which was exclusively for lap swimming. The fitness center was bright with new equipment such as a stair stepper with a television screen.

My only criticisms are that the staff could only recommend one restaurant for dinner (Wildflower, which was excellent), and the appetizers served at the grill restaurant (not the restaurant where we had breakfast) were mediocre.

I look forward to returning to Westward Look someday, when I plan to go horseback riding.

Kathleen Flynn
Atlanta, GA

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I was travelling to Dallas, TX from Los Angeles and spent the night at this resort after an 8 hour drive. It was exactly what I needed after the tiring drive. The room was huge, the bathrooms incrediable, the Cable TV amazing and the bed a dream. I had the compliamentary breakfast it was delicious and the staff friendly.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 3, 2009

We had a wonderful time at the Westward. It was quiet, clean and extremely relaxing. The rooms are fabulous, the pool is perfect and the grounds are landscaped beautifully. Breakfast was included which was very, very good and the service all around was very good. If we are in tucson again, we will definitely stay at the Westward.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family