“Nice people, great spot; frustrations”

Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa
Ranked #28 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Central Pa
“Nice people, great spot; frustrations”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Comfortable room and very pleasant grounds; most of the staff were really nice but not all were remarkably competent (except for housekeeping staff - they were fantastic). I did love the location: it feels out in the desert but stores and restaurants are very close. I did have some frustrations, though.

Some things things felt cheap and sneaky: Extra $20/day resort fee that is not optional but is not quoted in original price (so while $99/night sounds great, it will be closer to $130 with taxes and resort fee). Wireless didn't work and I had to call 3 times to get it fixed; it was excruciatingly low bandwidth even when "working" such that it was hard to accomplish daily work tasks. There were prompts to upgrade the wireless, without telling you what it would cost you. "Fresh seasonal berry salad" at the grill with exactly 5 little berries on it. No classes offered at the spa, despite advertising. Etc.

Other general lack of quality issues: Locked out twice for door key cards that demagnetized once, then were not extended when I extended my stay. Can't turn on shower without getting yourself and floor soaked. Every step in room above mine clearly audible. Main pool closed for problems with water chemistry. At checkout, front desk clerk asked how my stay was and I said it was okay but I had some problems, her reply was "oh, that's nice" (she wasn't being snarky, just wasn't listening at all)...

I know that's a lot of little complaints, but they added up and left me annoyed, especially given the extra "resort fee" I was paying, that implied I was getting bonus services. It wasn't bad, just not as nice as it advertised/could be. It seemed a good deal for midsummer, but you get what you pay for. Major plus for them: We left an expensive watch in the room, they located it for us and (after several phone calls) shipped it back. That doesn't always happen at hotels and we're grateful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank MeganB353
DYamada, General Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear MeganB353
Thank you for taking your time to share your experience at the Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort & Spa. Each post is helpful to us in our ongoing journey of continuous improvements, so we’ll certainly have an internal review of all of your feedback. Please accept my sincerest apology, as what you have described is certainly not representative of our normal guest experiences. Again thank you for taking the time to share and we would certainly love to have you back so you can personally experience the improvements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
El Paso
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Enjoyed our stay. Hot water was out but was quickly addressed by staff. Tom, their tennis pro is a great coach and I strongly advise everyone to have at least one lesson with him. Parking is an issue and maybe assigned spaces may be a good idea. We will be back.

Dear ElPasoFP
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us. It is a pleasure to receive such high marks and hear nice things about our staff. Thank you for noticing our tennis facilities, of which we are very proud. On a side note our Junior Tennis Team (12 & under) are the proud champions of the 2012 Regional Championships…certainly with much support and training of our tennis Program Director Tom and his staff of professionals. Again, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and we’ll look forward to your next visit!
Troy
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I was very pleased overall. I was only disappointed to see one of the two pools was not cleaned. It did not seem to bother others. I guess when its hot people don't care. But the bottom of the pool was very dirty and had not been cleaned during our stay. It was during the 4th of July and I thought that it would have been pristine for the occasion. The service was amazing. The friendliness of the staff was great. I wish I would have gotten the $99 deal, but was not offered that deal at the time. Overall it was nice.

Dear Brenda T
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort & Spa. I do apologize for the pool not being up to standards and this is certainly not the norm. I have shared your comments with our maintenance team to prevent future occurrences. While the $99 rate was unavailable then, we will be running specials until September 7 (based on availability) as part of our Tropical Escapes promotion. I am pleased that overall your stay with us was great. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I hope we see you again.
Anthony
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Awesome resort. Fab lap pool. Excellent food. Comfy rooms. Great service. Hotel used to have massage chairs but gone now. Bummer as they were the main reason we went back to this resort. Internet in room very unstable. Frustrating to say the least as I needed it for biz. Otherwise, highly recommend. The portabela sandwich is a must as are the eggs Benedict.

Dear Art M
Thank you got taking the time to share your experience and observations with us. Though we no longer have the massage chairs, may I suggest taking the time to visit our Sonoran Spa on property? I think you will find it even more relaxing. I do apologize for the internet in your room not working properly. We are currently in the process of enhancing our WiFi coverage in all areas of the resort. I’m certain it will work as expected on your next visit. It is a pleasure to receive high marks and hear such nice things about our resort from you. Thanks for sharing and we’ll look forward to seeing you again soon!