“A vacation that provides wildlife viewing right outside your door!”

Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa
Ranked #27 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Westward Look is a wonderful place to stay if you are looking for a resort in the middle of a natural setting. The rooms are spacious, nicely appointed and comfortable. The staff are exceptionally helpful, cheerful and accommodating. However, for a large group of turtle biologists and herpetologists, the true joy was being able to see wildlife while on property or when walking trails adjacent to the property. We saw a variety of snakes, lizards, spiders, birds and even a bobcat! The variety of cacti is amazing. Horseback riding is offered on nearby trails.The only "bump" would be with the food service as they appeared to be understaffed at times and be prepared to BYOB as $9.34 for a bottle of beer is pretty steep.

Room Tip: Nearly all spots on location provided excellent views of Tucson or the mountains.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank EmmaRosen
DYamada, General Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear EmmaRosen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments and experience with us and other Trip Advisor readers.

I am so pleased to hear you had a great time with us! I know that our staff thoroughly enjoyed having you and your group with us as well. I do apologize for the “bump” you mentioned. We have reviewed this with our F&B team, with notes of how best to address this, as we look forward to you and your groups return.

I would certainly appreciate your reaching out to me directly, so I may get more details on that bottle of beer you mentioned. It is truly concerning because I know of the many great beer options we offer, a $9.34 bottle is not one of those on our menu.

Thanks again for your comments! Hope to speak with you soon!

All the Best and Safe Travels…

David A. Yamada
Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort & Spa

There are newer reviews for Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Westward Look has always been the goto spot for a staycation with my wife. This year, they went corporate with the Wyndham Resort partnership, and I was hoping it wouldn't affect our stay, but it did.

- rooms are now booked through Wyndham, and customer support or booking calls are through a 1-800 number, and you're definitely not talking to resort staff or even a Tucsonan. We called to try and extend our stay, and the customer rep was unhelpful and somewhat rude. That's Wyndham for you (or India, who knows?).

- because of the booking change, the bed type you reserve is no longer considered a reservation, but instead just a "request". We reserved (months in advance) a king suite and none were available when we arrived, so we had to spend our anniversary in separate beds. The couple who were in line behind us at the front desk had the same issue. Clearly there is a miscommunication issue between Wyndham Booking and the resort.

- the food prices at the Lookout Cafe have gone up significantly. Burgers and sandwiches are $13-14, and most entrees are more than $15. This is disappointing because it used to be that the Gold Restaurant was the expensive option but you could get a reasonably priced meal at the Lookout Cafe. There are plenty of quality restaurants nearby that are much cheaper, so c'est la vie.

- this is very minor, but the complimentary soaps and shampoos used to be locally branded products by the Sonoran Spa, and now they're just some generic brand. They aren't low quality, but it's just another area where the Westward Look has lost its charm.

• Stayed: August 2012
6  Thank ATucsonan
DYamada, General Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Dear ATucsonan,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and feelings with us.
Arriving here in February as we converted the Resort’s Management to Wyndham, our intentions were and are not to lose the charm of Westward Look, but rather enhance it. We actually have some things in the works for completion by year end in efforts to do just that.

Nevertheless, hearing that we have missed this mark at this time is somewhat disheartening for me to hear as well and I would love the opportunity to discuss matters with you directly.

Due to the anonymity of the postings, please feel free to reach out to me so we might do so.

Looking forward to our discussion ... All the best!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I've been to Westward Look twice for a "girl's getaway" with my sister, daughter and nieces. (ages 25 - 60). I never felt so pampered and relaxed. The rooms are spacious and nice, the restaurants are great, the spa is fabulous, the grounds are beautiful and the staff is wonderful. Couldn't ask for more! We're planning our next trip back.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Dear Cathy J,

It’s wonderful to hear that you and “the Girls” have been enjoying your time with us! Thank you so much for taking the time to post and share such glowing remarks! As I have mentioned before, our staff is always thrilled to hear that our guests have a great experience, because this is a daily priority goal for all of us.

We will certainly look forward to your next visit! Feel free to give us a “heads up” on when that might be!

All the best and safe travels!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Traveled to Tucson for both business and pleasure and had a wonderful time at this resort! All hotel employees at the restaurants and front desk were VERY helpful and went out of their way to make sure the stay was pleasurable. They happily answered all questions we had. We were on the bottom floor of our building, so I was concerned about stomping from above but that was not an issue. The stay was quiet and relaxing. The bed was amazingly comfortable, although I found the heavy down comforter far too warm for the July Arizona heat! There were two nice flat-screen TVS in our room and the shower was tiled and very comfortable. (My one complaint is that there weren't nearly enough towel racks! Only room to hang one bath towel, no place to hang hand towels or additional bath towels.) The pools were both gorgeous and comfortable and the pool chairs were padded and comfy as well. It was easy to order drinks and lunch to have it brought down even to the lower pool, which was nice. The bar has happy hour, so be sure to catch that. The food was a bit overpriced, but that's something to expect from resorts. We enjoyed the meals we did eat here, though! I didn't find that the resort fee was "hidden" as another reviewer wrote. It was noted several times in the booking and they notified us again at check-in. I feel it was definitely worth the extra $20 a night. The setting was beautiful and it's not far from town...will certainly stay here again if I ever need to travel to Tucson again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank calliejoanna

Dear calliejoanna,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at our Resort! Our staff clearly makes the difference and it’s always nice to hear reinforcing statements from our guests. Your comment on the places to hang towels has been noted and we’ll certainly look to find a way to rectify that point.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments with us and other Trip Advisor readers. We also appreciate the high marks you’ve awarded us as we strive to continuously improve.

We definitely look forward to your next visit to Tucson!

Wishing you all best and safe travels!

David

Reviewed August 14, 2012

For the past three years I have stayed at the Westward Look for my birthday in July. Everytime has been amazing! Luckily my birthday is in the summer when the they have great "staycation" deals and I can get a great room for a great price (sometimes without the resort fees!). The resort is located near lots of restaurants, shopping but once you get on the property you feel like your in a quiet, secluded resort. I love that! They rooms are sooo relaxing and comfy-we probably could have stayed all day in bed if only it wasn't 4th of July and we had to meet up with friends. The spa is tranquil, the restaurants are great, I like that there were tennis courts that we used last year and they provided the equipment. They always have little get-togethers by the pool for families and put on outdoor movies to enjoy. Love the history of the resort too. I would recommend the Westward Look to anyone wanting a relaxing and enjoyable stay-you really can't beat it there!

Room Tip: Stay during the summer months (Memorial Day thru Labor Day) for awesome deals!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Loochies627

Dear brandaloochies,

Happy Belated Birthday! What an honor having you spend your special day with us each year …Thank you so much! Most of all, I am so pleased to hear you have a great time with us!

Also, thank you for awarding us such high marks! These and your comments go along way with our staff when they hear how much our guests enjoy their time with us!

Hopefully, we’ll have the opportunity to see you again before next year! Until then, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and others and we wish you all of the very best and safe travels!

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I've stayed here three times now when visiting my daughter, who is a University of Arizona student. I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere, the desert landscaping and the lap pool that's away from the main pool where kids can romp and play. In the summer, it's very quiet here, though if you can avoid rooms close to the entrance road it will be a bit quieter. The rooms are huge! Also, I found the staff members to be very friendly, and the service at the Sonoran Spa was terrific.

A couple of minor points:
-- a housekeeping aide actually left my room door open one day. That was a bit concerting, but the front office staff was very apologetic when I alerted them.
-- The birds (see photo) are really aggressive in trying to get to food if you sit outside for breakfast at the Gold restaurant. I strongly recommend that the servers ask people to not feed the birds, and that they post more signs asking people not to do that.
-- The interior decor does need a bit of upgrading. It's looking kind of tired.
-- The bathroom is huge, but the shower door does not block water very well, so it's really easy to get the bathroom floor wet.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank GaryKarr

Dear GaryKarr,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and comments! It is great to hear that you enjoy your time here. I have already shared your feedback with staff to address the points you’ve mentioned and how best we can remedy each item.

The high marks are also truly appreciated. These and your comments are very helpful in our ongoing efforts of continuous improvement!

Wishing you the very best and safe travels!

Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is very confusing, the room has a funny smell and the whole place has seen better days. The front desk gave me a map of the property and told me to look for building C. There is no building C, just room numbers. To find the room you need to drive past the loading dock and trash bins. It looks like you are heading into a maintenance area. Nothing is clearly labeled and in-room information was nearly non existant. If you are security minded this is not the place for you. The room door has only one lock and no safety or deadbolt. Anyone with a key card could walk in at any minute. Pick someplace else, I don't think you could do much worse.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Empire1guy
ckinney1, Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Greetings,

Thank you for taking a moment to post your comments. We are sad to hear that your stay was not enjoyable. We do have 80 acres on the resort grounds and provide detailed maps upon checkin to help guide our guests to their rooms/buildings. Going foreward, we will instruct our guest agents to make an extra effort ensure that guests take the property map with them as oposed to leaving them at the desk.
As this is the first comment that we have recieved that has had this issue to this extent, we thank you for bringing it to our attention. We will use your comments as a tool to better service our future guests.
We hope that you will make the choice to stay with us again the next time you travel brings you to Tucson.

Be Well.