“I loved it.”

Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa
Ranked #27 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed February 1, 2012

I spent a week at the Westward Look for my vacation in August 2011. I loved it. It was convenient for my sightseeing excursions. The spa staff was friendly, professional and talented. The food was great, the room was comfortable, spacious and clean and the grounds were lovely. I admit that I got a great deal through Jetsetter which probably helped my impression, but I would go back there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa

Reviewed February 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Westward Look Resort and were very pleased with the room, the location (right off the pool!), the breakfast, and the helpfulness of the staff. The only less-than-perfect detail is the lack of public transportation to and from the resort. Rather than pay the exorbitant price of a taxi to and from the resort (30 minutes or more), we rented a car. The resort is really well located (if you have transport!) for exploring the various mountain ranges and hiking trails found nearby. We also enjoyed visiting the Arizona-Sonoma Desert Museum while there.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

Excellent resort/hotel. The food in the restaurant Gold was excellent, but pricey for dinner. There is no breakfast buffet, no tub in the room, and the showerhead has only 1 setting. Otherwise everything was super. You can also go horseback riding for $50 or $60 dollars, depending on time of day & length of tour. This is an exceptional opportunity to experience the desert and its exotic plants.

Room Tip: You might want to request a room near one of the hot tubs.
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I would stay far away from this hotel. We tried to cancel a reservation well in advance -- 4 night stay we could not make becuase of illness. No refund, no nothing. I can understand a one night penalty but they are keeping $800 with absloutely no desire to refund despite a hospitalization. Obviously they are struggling and the other reviews confrim the same.

Almost borders on unethical....

Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
9  Thank Tim F
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Let’s start with what works. It’s a beautiful resort on a gorgeous desert plateau. Watching the sun rise over the city of Tucson is exceptionally gorgeous ( so get up early and do that!) . And a 24-hour pool and hot tub, which actually stays hot, is unusual. I don’t remember the last time I stayed in a hotel where it was okay to go tubbing at 2 in the morning and I liked it.

I also do not remember ever having stayed in a hotel (and I’ve stayed in plenty of lesser hotels in my life) where one could hear the guest next door urinating in their bathroom. I kid you not.

But let’s start with arrival – because I also don’t remember the last time I showed up at a hotel – any hotel, but certainly not a four-star hotel – and there was no one at the Front Desk. But, that’s how I arrived at the Westward Look. I showed up at 5pm after a long day of travel. The resort is, as you probably know from looking at the website – a true resort, not a hotel. So the resort is sprawling and made up of probably twenty small single-story buildings each of which houses cabin-type rooms. It’s lovely, and sprawling.

I walked into the main lobby and dragged my weary feet to the main reception desk where was not a single person working. There were three guests waiting, but no front desk person in sight. This was unsettling, but I assumed someone would return imminently. They did not.

After ten minutes, I approached the other guests and asked “is there anyone working here?” and was told, yes there had been, and that she went somewhere. I was frustrated and walked into the bar nearby, where I asked one of the waitstaff if there’s any way she could find someone to help us. She was gracious, picked up the phone, and made a call. By the time I returned the front desk was manned.

The service at the desk was fine, he took my credit card for incidentals (I had pre-paid this hotel through a third party agency) and he directed me to Building D, which was a short drive from the lobby.

I got back in my car and drove toward Building D. There are many signs for buildings at Westward Look , but you’re only in luck if you have a building named for a number. If you are unlucky enough to be housed at a building named for a letter, I don’t think you’re going to find a sign. I sure didn’t. And so, after driving across the entire campus, I finally found a staffmember walking and asked him for help. He was incredibly helpful, stopped what he was doing, and offered to go get his golfcart to escort me to the room. It turns out I was quite close. But the signage was deplorable. All things told, I think it took 40 minutes from the time I arrived at the property until the time I got into my room. I find that really unacceptable.

The room was beautiful, and the bed terrific. The lighting is a bit of a problem, as there are no ceiling lights – rather, only a few lamps – so the room is a bit dark. Still, all was well. Or so I thought.

I logged onto the wifi and the system asked me for an access code. Not having been given an access code at check-in, I looked on the phone and decided – hmm… who might be able to help to me? I called the Front Desk. No answer. I called the Operator. No answer. (This is about 5:30pm now, not the middle of the night.) I called Guest Services and they answered – and when I inquired about the access code, I was told I didn’t need an access code.

“I’m looking at my wifi and it says please enter your access code,” I proclaim. The befuddled guest services rep suggests that maybe the front desk can help me and he puts me through to them and alas, this time they answer. “You don’t need an access code,” they say. Yes I do I tell them, Well, it turns out that my room is one of the “Posada” rooms where sometimes the wifi is connected to the conference facility’s network and yes I do need an access code -- which she provided me. So now I was online.

In truth, so far all was forgivable, if a bit annoying and slightly sub-par for an upscale resort. Things only got real bad when I was relaxing on my bed and the neighbor got in the shower. And I know this because it kind of sounded like I was next to a subway.

I could have decided to ask for a room change, but I was tired – and decided to just power through it all. I figured it couldn’t get worse. But at 5am, I was awoken in my bed to the sound of my neighbor urinating. At first I couldn’t believe it – it was highly audible – but I thought, “I must be mistaken!” But no, then the toilet flushed. Unbelievable.

At 7am I checked out. I said to the front desk clerk – in a quiet and professional manner – that I was greatly disappointed with my stay and that I would really like to talk to a manager about it. As I suspected, there was not yet a manager on duty, but it would be fair to say that I was greeted to with a high amount of surly disinterest. The front desk clerk did not even ask me what the problem was. So I volunteered: “Are you aware that you can hear the guest next door urinating from your bed?” And she replied, “No, I’ve never heard that before.” And rather than offering to have someone call me to attend to my concerns, she provided me with a generic business card of the hotel – with no one’s name on it – and told me I could email my concerns in. She then offered to not charge me the $15 Resort Fee. I asked what was the $15 Resort Fee? She said it’s a fee for all the additional expenses such as the wifi (which on the wifi login was allegedly free). Because I was exasperated I just said thanks – when in truth, since I had pre-paid for the room and my credit card was kept “just for incidentals,” I would not have expected to have had to pay that fee anyway.

Is it a terrible hotel? No, of course not. But it’s a somewhat tired, and certainly understaffed hotel which – had I paid full-price for – would have greatly distressed me.

Room Tip: One that has no adjoining door, and probably it would be wise to say "Not a Posada room, please...
12  Thank GimmeExtra
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I recently stayed at the Westward look and really enjoyed myself. The rooms are spacious, the views are lovely, and the beds are incredibly comfortable. The food from room service and in the restaurant was very good as well.

They had a nice selection of spa treatments which I was not able to try out on this trip. I liked the property as well and found it lovely to walk around.

Room Tip: I stayed in the D section of the hotel. This section was single story and not surrounded by other ro...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank eliote
ckinney1, Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on some of the details of your stay at Westward Look Resort. We really enjoy hearing comments about our grounds and services. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Tucson, Arizona!

Reviewed January 13, 2012

It was "off" season so we got a great deal on the rooms. Huge rooms, comfy beds, great views of sunset. very clean swimming pool, love the walking trails and visiting the gardens. The labyrinth rocks weren't that impressive. love all the different types of cactus, hummingbirds, geckos, etc. Downside is that you have to carry your suitcases up a few steps to get to the room; when it rains (which it poured the whole night we were there), a huge puddle formed in front of the door, so to get in and out, you get pretty wet!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family