“An Oasis in the Desert”

Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa
Ranked #27 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed April 5, 2011

I booked this resort through Hotwide.com since I had a few extra days after my conference. This is a beautiful resort set in the foothills of Tucson. My room was very large and elegant, as well as comfortable! There were lots of extras including free internet, free parking, and free coffee/tea/water in the room. The views are either of the desert walking trails that surround the resort or the pool courtyards. There are three pools and spas at various places around the resort property, so you are never far away from relaxation! The desk staff were accommodating with my late check-out without any extra fees. The food and room service was great. I'm not sure what the actual price per night is since I was able to get a very good rate on Hotwire.com. There was a $15/night resort fee, which probably covers the parking and internet. However, it was well worth it considering the extras like the pools/spas, walking trails, beautiful grounds, tennis courts, etc. All rooms have equally good views, so the only deciding factor is the size of room you want. The standard rooms are much larger than standard, so your only consideration would be if you wanted a separate sleeping area. I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for quiet relaxation and a place to get away from it all.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are huge!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa

Reviewed March 28, 2011

I reserved the Star Gazer Room, from March 25 - 27th. I was celebrating my husbands birthday, and asked my brother and sister-in-law to join us. First impressions are very important to me. I was Wowwed with the room. 2 separte living quarters, 2 bathrooms, the wonderful massage chair the outside jacuzzi, and not to mention the bed, soooo comfortable. The weather was perfect, room perfect and perfect company, what more can a girl ask for. We went to Albertson's a bought a few things for the evening, and returned to our room. When we opened the door, we noticed a Silver Ice bucket, and a food tray, the resort placed a VIP tray in our room from the General Manager, Mr. Klein.
It was a Fruit & Nut tray with 4 Voss waters. I was touched by the personal note, wishing my husband "Happy Birthday" and welcoming him to the Resort.
That sealed the deal, that I know I made the right chose to stay at this Resort. The grounds are beautifuls, and love the Chef's Garden.
Thank you Mr. Klein and Staff for a Wonderful Weekend at your Resort...can't wait to return.

Mr. & Mrs. Nevills

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lathea007
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I stayed here two nights in March 2011 with my 70-year-old mother. We had a 2 bed posada room. Our room was roomy and sparklingly clean. The beds were incredibly comfortable. Extra pillows (non-feather, thank you) and blankets were provided in the closet. Bathroom was spacious, huge tiled shower was great. (No tub, but we didn't need one.) 2 large screen TVs, one in sitting area, one in bed area.
Parking is ample (and free!) and there is free wireless interenet in the rooms. We also were not charged any sort of resort fee.
This place can be a little hard to find- if you're coming from the freeway, you first drive through miles of what looks to be strip mall after strip mall. But once you turn off the highway and drive up the base of the hill to the resort, that all fades away. The lobby is beautiful- almost serene. Staff were wonderfully friendly.
We at at Gold for both dinner and breakfast- breakfast is great (if pricey). Dinner was disappointing, they seemed to be trying too hard to impress with the look of the food over the taste.
There are 3 swimming pools with hot tubs nearby. All are sparkling and cool. Although there were large groups (including a wedding) staying there, the place never got noisy. My mom and I slept really REALLY well here- you could see stars at night, and a beautiful desert view by day. (Check out the view from the deck of the restaurant.)
We also had massages at their spa. Again, pricey- but OMG was it worth it. Both of our therapists did and EXCELLENT job.
This is a beautiful, quiet, non-glitzy, classy place to stay. It was a worthwhile splurge for relaxation.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank BonzoGal
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I have just returned from two nights at Westward Look. I am a top tier member of a frequent traveler club for a national chain and my job requires me to travel frequently. This trip was for pleasure and I almost booked a room at that national chain in order to get the points. I am so glad I did not do so. The event I attended was at Westward Look so, although I knew nothing of it, I booked my room there.
I was so glad I did!!! The front desk clerk, Audrey, started to call me by name the second time I went to the desk. The room was absolutely wonderful - the comforter was warm but it was as light as a feather and the pillows were among the most comfortable ever. [Management, what type of pillows do you use?]
The food was delicious - try something with a prickly pear sauce, or the prickly pear lemonade. I'm from the east coast and was not familiar with prickly pear, but it is an unusual taste of a mix between watermelon and lemon.
We took a nature walk with Raymundo and this was a highlight of our stay. He is a treasure with more information about all the landscaping around the hotel than you think would be possible with one individual. However, make no mistake, he is not going to tell you about tulips and roses and what many regard as mainstays of landscaping. No, he is going to tell you about the low-water plants and how the acreage around the hotel is filled with native plants. He will point out the wildlife around the hotel and will impress upon you the important connection between plants in an area and the wildlife, bees, and butterflies it attracts.
Finally, if you have time, go to the exercise room, hang out in the lobby, explore the gift shop and just walk around the grounds. You will have the most memorable time with your only thought upon leaving being how quickly you will be able to return.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank kate16
WWLmarketing, General Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2011

I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! The Secrets of the Desert Nature Walk is terrific, isn’t it? Raymundo really knows his stuff!

You inquired about our wonderfully comfortable pillows… we use pillows from Pacific Coast Feather Co., item # 57897.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I hope you’ll stay with us again soon!

Alan Klein, General Manager, Westward Look Resort

Reviewed February 23, 2011

After spending two nights at the Westward Look resort, we agree with the Feb 11th review describing this as a casual, comfortable option in Tucson. We too have stayed at the more modern JW Marriot with its “wow” factor, outdoor fireplaces and amenities. The Westward provides a different experience with a more relaxed and quiet feeling on the property. Just what we needed to unwind and relax.
We bid online for a Tucson resort so did not have a choice of properties. While our room was a basic one bedroom in one of the older buildings, it was nicely furnished, had a very comfortable bed, and great location close to the pool and lobby. We enjoyed our wine and cheese on the small patio outside our room taking in the beautifully landscaped dessert grounds. Room service was very prompt.
Staff, including Pat at the front desk, was very helpful in providing information on the area and details on restaurants. There are free computers in the comfortable lobby as well as a small coffee shop.
A few items to improve our visit include a little more attention to details such as towels and water by the pool that ran out and were not checked. Also, the curtains in our room often became caught in the door when you closed it. A simple plastic bracket on the wall would hold the curtain from going out the door.
Drive down to the Whole Foods store on the corner where they will make a great sandwich for a hike in Sabino Canyon, a short 20 minutes from the resort. Once there you can take the tram, hike the lower trails or if adventurous, take the phone line trail. Also enjoyed a great meal at a high end Mexican restaurant, Café Poca Casa located downtown Tucson.
The Westward Look resort is a great choice for couples wanting to relax in a great dessert setting.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EaganTraveler
WWLmarketing, General Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2011

Things can get so hectic these days that it can be really hard to find the right time—or the right place, for that matter—to just relax and unwind, can’t it? That’s why I’m glad that we could provide an easy-going, comfortable, relaxing getaway for you and your spouse. I’m pleased that you found the service helpful and prompt. That’s what I like to hear! Thank you for your feedback about some details needing attention, as well. I’ll work with my team to ensure the pool towels and water stay well-stocked at all times. I’m also addressing the issue with the curtains, which, you’re right, is easily remedied.

I’m delighted that you were able to explore the surrounding area during your stay. Sabino Canyon is another pleasant and relaxing escape, and it’s particularly enjoyable this time of year with this gorgeous weather. Next time you’re looking to relax and unwind, I hope you’ll return to Westward Look for a soothing desert getaway.

Alan Klein, General Manager

Reviewed February 11, 2011

I officially LOVE the Westward Look! I travel to Tucson frequently and have stayed at several of the other "major" resorts in the area, and the Westward Look beats the others hands down--I will definitely be a repeat customer.

I should say up front that Westward Look has a totally different ambiance than other area resorts. There is a casual, welcoming atmosphere that seems much less uptight than some of the other upscale places in Tucson, which is exactly what makes it special. This starts from the very first moment at check-in, where we were greeted by some of the most friendly, helpful staff members I have ever encountered. Even though we had purchased highly reduced rooms on Priceline, we were offered upgrades to junior suites for just $15 extra per night (yes, please!). They even offered to let us view the room choices first to see whether we wanted to upgrade, but we decided to just go for it--and what a treat! The rooms were enormous, tastsfully furnished, with large balconies overlooking a beautiful desert landscape. The check-in clerk suggested that we could watch the sunset from our balconies in the evening, so we took her advice--and it was stunning! I should make special mention of the sheets, which were pure indulgence--they must have been something like 20,000 thread count!

The whole vibe of the hotel is like spending time with friends. Even the lobby is cozy and inviting, and we actually pulled chairs up to the fireplace after dinner to enjoy some after-dinner drinks. The bar and patio area are very well laid-out, and the bar staff were again incredibly friendly and accommodating. We also LOVED our dinner at the restaurant-- for the casual elegance of the decor, the magnificent view, the exceptional food, and the friendly (I know I'm repeating myself) service. The jazz duo in the restaurant was a nice touch. (Uh...they were friendly too!)

Some may prefer the more "sophisticated" environment of some of the other resorts, but I have to recommend the Westward Look if your goal is to just relax and enjoy yourself, without necessarily having to dress to impress (and deal with snooty staff members).

• Stayed: January 2011
5  Thank wbpld
WWLmarketing, General Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

We LOVE when our guests LOVE us and can’t wait to come back! That’s our goal at Westward Look. I’m so glad to hear our wonderful, friendly staff made an impression, as well as our comfortable rooms and delicious cuisine. While we can’t take credit for the stunning Tucson sunset, I’m glad you were able to enjoy it from the comfort of your balcony. We’re very proud of our gorgeous desert views! Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your pleasant experience. Feedback like yours lets me know we’re meeting the high standards we set for ourselves at Westward Look to ensure the comfort of each and every guest who walks through our doors. I hope to see you back here very soon!
-Alan Klein, General Manager

Reviewed February 3, 2011

This is a wonderful place! I would recommend this to anyone!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with this place. It has a hot tub outside some of the rooms. The other rooms are spacious and very nice. Food is excellent and the pool and hot tub are wonderful. We stayed here with 3 friends and no complaints only wanted to go back a second night and we did!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Pattidh
WWLmarketing, General Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2011

I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at Westward Look Resort and would recommend us. It sounds like you and your friends were able to experience our Stargazer Spa Suites featuring outdoor freshwater hot tubs! That’s one of the great things about visiting us in Tucson in the winter—you can comfortably enjoy swimming during the day and hot tubbing at night! I’m glad you also found our suites nice and spacious and the food to your liking. Please come visit us again soon. And by all means, stay warm back in New York!

Alan Klein, General Manager