“An amazing week at the Tanque Verde Ranch”
Review of Tanque Verde Ranch

Tanque Verde Ranch
Ranked #28 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed August 15, 2014

We just spent a week enjoying the breathtaking beauty of the desert, while kicking back in the luxury of the Tanque Verde Ranch. The food was fabulous, the service was amazing, and the wranglers were able to teach us tenderfoots how to actually ride a horse! Everyone couldn't have been nicer, which made the time there even more perfect. We rode horses every day, took riding lessons, went on trail rides, relaxed in the afternoons with yoga, and enjoyed the delicious meals throughout the week.

I cannot recommend Tanque Verde Ranch enough! Go and enjoy!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 67 which was a nice walk to all the activities. If you are not up for walking, th...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Laurie D

Reviewed August 12, 2014

We have just spent 4 nights at tanque verde and cannot praise the place enough. It is located on the edge on the saguaro desert so location is out of this world. We stayed in room 44 which has just been renovated to an extremely high standard. 2 large queen beds with beautiful fireplace and leather chairs in one corner, walk through dressing room into the bathroom and large terrace outside. Staff were so friendly and helpful for the entire stay and encouraged everyone to get involved in all the activities. Every day you could do an early morning 7am walking or loping ride, then an hour and a half lesson and more riding in the afternoon. Just sign up the day before. The wranglers were just fantastic, especially Mike and David, very patient and encouraging, and a wicked sense of humour! Kids are entertained from 7am until 3pm but can do as much or as little as they want. Mostly riding- lessons and trails, but also swim time, arts and crafts etc. both indoor and outdoor pools spotless and stunning location.
All meals are included and were simply superb - 5 star quality. Breakfast was a buffet and you could also order hot food, lunch was buffet style. Dinner was 3 courses with lots of choice, all superbly cooked and presented, and you could choose to have your own table or sit at the community table where you can socialise, a great way to meet people.
Other activities were nature talks and hikes, and mountain biking. Early starts meant everyone pretty much went to bed by 9/10pm, but this suited us. 105 degree heat is very tiring! Lots of wildlife to spot in the desert and on ranch, jack rabbits, deer, rattle snakes, etc. Try the prickly pear margharitas from dog saloon after 4 pm - delicious! The early breakfast ride was fab, also the cowboy cookout, such a great atmosphere under the stars. This takes place Saturdays and Wednesdays.
We had the most amazing time here and could easily have stayed another few days. It's a place you will always remember and we would very much like to return.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank bethandguy
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We had a huge room and a lovely patio with great views over the national park. The staff were friendly and informative. The saloon bar was great for a beer or cocktail and the restaurant served great food. You can sit at your own table or join the communal table which was a great way to meet new people and share the days experiences. The cookout and ride to breakfast were also great fun. The pool was a good way to relax after riding or mountain biking. I also did a water colour class and the nature centre was good and I got some great photos of hummingbirds. We also saw javalinas, road runners, skunks and owls. This is a great place to stay and relax. Can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lesley T
Reviewed June 24, 2014

What can I say..... Tanque Verde Ranch offers a fabulous experience. The rooms/casitas are great. A good size, private, good tolietries, a nice sized fridge.... really comfortable and cosy. All the staff I met were super friendly, genuine and passionate about life at the ranch. One of the staff showed us how to make Smores at the Cowboy Cookout. The food was divine too; really good quality with plenty of healthy options. In a surprise result, the tofu was one of the best things I ate on my trip, and the blood orange mousse bomb was out of this world. The facilities were great; i went horse riding three times, it was fun and the wranglers did a good job (especially the females, their instructions were super clear). I also did yoga, even though I was the only one who turned up, it was great. I went for a nature talk which was informative and intercative (though I couldn't bring myself to hold a snake!). There's lots of wildlife you can see. The pools are lovely, they do get a few critters in but are cleaned regularly. Great that they're open 24hrs too. I really love Tanque Verde, I hope to be back someday.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank CherryDaiquiri
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We went for the location, rather than the activities. We loved our beautiful room, and my brother's room was one of the large, more modern ones up the hill, where they had spectacular views of a thunderstorm miles away. Staff was attentive and helpful. We were aware of other guest families but our room was quiet. Took ourselves on a nice pre-breakfast hike around the trails (saw the folks on the breakfast ride). The only "complaint" was the Saturday night BBQ, which was pretty basic but very expensive for those of us not on a package plan. We'll go back, though, and make reservations in town for Saturday!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Staff was warm and helpful. Rooms were spacious and clean. Grounds were well kept. But let's face it, we weren't there for the facilities, we were there for the activities which were thoughtful, well-managed affairs. Here are the things we loved about Tanque Verde Ranch:

Breakfast Ride - My niece and I drove up from Phoenix for a weekend away. The highlight of our trip was the Breakfast Ride. This two-hour long walking ride gave us a nice taste of rhw beautiful desert countryside. The Ranch sits just shy of the entrance to Saguaro National Park, so the scenery was National Park spectacular - especially by the golden light of dawn. (I'm told that several loping rides lead you straight into the Nat'l Park). And the breakfast... oh wow! Eggs and sausages and bacon and juice - very satisfying - even more so when you toss in a pancake or two. Those pancakes were nothing short of aMAAAAAzing! Try and make the breakfast ride if you can. You won't regret it.

Cowboy Cookout - Another fun event. The Cottonwood Grove is decked out country style - complete with live country music. The food, most of which was either cooked in large iron pots or on the grill, was hearty and delicious. I'm a big fish fan, and they had fresh fish, skin on, waiting for me grill-side. Also on the menu were carnitas, steaks, and the best macaroni and cheese in the world. For dessert - brownies and cobbler simmering in cast iron pots. After the meal, there were games and line dancing classes. So fun!

Riding Classes - I took one year of riding classes in my teens and barely got to lope. My niece and I found ourselves loping by class 2. Class 2! The instructors were firm, informative and tailored our lessons to our ability level. Tanque Verde has an excellent riding program. Well worth it.

For those who aren't really into the horse thing, there were hikes, fishing, yoga, nature walks, tennis courts, pool, spa, gym and a fun activity room with ping pong, air hockey, etc. And if none of those are your thing either, then you're stuck with the giant picture window views in your room as there are no tv's in the rooms. Trust me, the views aren't too shabby. I spent an hour just watching the sunrise over the Saguaros - better than any episode of the Today Show.

Room Tip: Room 45 - casita with great views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank coconutflk
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Having stayed and been delighted at another ranch in Tucson a couple of years ago, I was very much looking forward to my stay at Tanque Verde Ranch, but I came away disappointed.

Let's begin with the room: although spacious and comfortable enough, the bathroom is not what's expected at any facility, yet alone one charging what TVR charges. Have a look at my photos - it looks as though someone took a hammer to the tile in the shower. And there's no excuse for the discoloration around the drain in the sink. Sure, it's a ranch and not a four-star hotel, but please.

As for the horseback riding, I found some of the wranglers to be a bit rough with some guests. They need to understand that some guests are from countries where English is their second language and the wranglers need to be more patient and give better instructions. As an American, I was embarrassed at the way some guests from Europe were spoken to (e.g., "Why aren't you people doing what I tell you to do?"). Come on... not only have they never been on a horse before, but they don't speak English on a regular basis. Some of the wranglers were just fine, but if everyone at the ranch isn't a "people-person" then they shouldn't be working with the public.

What's to like at TVR? Well, the "Cowboy Cookout" provided not only great food and service (nice going Juan!), but the singer providing the entertainment was really pretty good. The food overall was plentiful and tasty (I'd like to meet the pastry chef).

Also the ranch is in a beautiful setting with some great trails. But unfortunately, it has a way to go before I'd call it Tucson's best ranch.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple