WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #25 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
London
“Heaven on the ranch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

What can I say..... Tanque Verde Ranch offers a fabulous experience. The rooms/casitas are great. A good size, private, good tolietries, a nice sized fridge.... really comfortable and cosy. All the staff I met were super friendly, genuine and passionate about life at the ranch. One of the staff showed us how to make Smores at the Cowboy Cookout. The food was divine too; really good quality with plenty of healthy options. In a surprise result, the tofu was one of the best things I ate on my trip, and the blood orange mousse bomb was out of this world. The facilities were great; i went horse riding three times, it was fun and the wranglers did a good job (especially the females, their instructions were super clear). I also did yoga, even though I was the only one who turned up, it was great. I went for a nature talk which was informative and intercative (though I couldn't bring myself to hold a snake!). There's lots of wildlife you can see. The pools are lovely, they do get a few critters in but are cleaned regularly. Great that they're open 24hrs too. I really love Tanque Verde, I hope to be back someday.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank CherryDaiquiri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Florida, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

We went for the location, rather than the activities. We loved our beautiful room, and my brother's room was one of the large, more modern ones up the hill, where they had spectacular views of a thunderstorm miles away. Staff was attentive and helpful. We were aware of other guest families but our room was quiet. Took ourselves on a nice pre-breakfast hike around the trails (saw the folks on the breakfast ride). The only "complaint" was the Saturday night BBQ, which was pretty basic but very expensive for those of us not on a package plan. We'll go back, though, and make reservations in town for Saturday!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Staff was warm and helpful. Rooms were spacious and clean. Grounds were well kept. But let's face it, we weren't there for the facilities, we were there for the activities which were thoughtful, well-managed affairs. Here are the things we loved about Tanque Verde Ranch:

Breakfast Ride - My niece and I drove up from Phoenix for a weekend away. The highlight of our trip was the Breakfast Ride. This two-hour long walking ride gave us a nice taste of rhw beautiful desert countryside. The Ranch sits just shy of the entrance to Saguaro National Park, so the scenery was National Park spectacular - especially by the golden light of dawn. (I'm told that several loping rides lead you straight into the Nat'l Park). And the breakfast... oh wow! Eggs and sausages and bacon and juice - very satisfying - even more so when you toss in a pancake or two. Those pancakes were nothing short of aMAAAAAzing! Try and make the breakfast ride if you can. You won't regret it.

Cowboy Cookout - Another fun event. The Cottonwood Grove is decked out country style - complete with live country music. The food, most of which was either cooked in large iron pots or on the grill, was hearty and delicious. I'm a big fish fan, and they had fresh fish, skin on, waiting for me grill-side. Also on the menu were carnitas, steaks, and the best macaroni and cheese in the world. For dessert - brownies and cobbler simmering in cast iron pots. After the meal, there were games and line dancing classes. So fun!

Riding Classes - I took one year of riding classes in my teens and barely got to lope. My niece and I found ourselves loping by class 2. Class 2! The instructors were firm, informative and tailored our lessons to our ability level. Tanque Verde has an excellent riding program. Well worth it.

For those who aren't really into the horse thing, there were hikes, fishing, yoga, nature walks, tennis courts, pool, spa, gym and a fun activity room with ping pong, air hockey, etc. And if none of those are your thing either, then you're stuck with the giant picture window views in your room as there are no tv's in the rooms. Trust me, the views aren't too shabby. I spent an hour just watching the sunrise over the Saguaros - better than any episode of the Today Show.

Room Tip: Room 45 - casita with great views.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank coconutflk
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Having stayed and been delighted at another ranch in Tucson a couple of years ago, I was very much looking forward to my stay at Tanque Verde Ranch, but I came away disappointed.

Let's begin with the room: although spacious and comfortable enough, the bathroom is not what's expected at any facility, yet alone one charging what TVR charges. Have a look at my photos - it looks as though someone took a hammer to the tile in the shower. And there's no excuse for the discoloration around the drain in the sink. Sure, it's a ranch and not a four-star hotel, but please.

As for the horseback riding, I found some of the wranglers to be a bit rough with some guests. They need to understand that some guests are from countries where English is their second language and the wranglers need to be more patient and give better instructions. As an American, I was embarrassed at the way some guests from Europe were spoken to (e.g., "Why aren't you people doing what I tell you to do?"). Come on... not only have they never been on a horse before, but they don't speak English on a regular basis. Some of the wranglers were just fine, but if everyone at the ranch isn't a "people-person" then they shouldn't be working with the public.

What's to like at TVR? Well, the "Cowboy Cookout" provided not only great food and service (nice going Juan!), but the singer providing the entertainment was really pretty good. The food overall was plentiful and tasty (I'd like to meet the pastry chef).

Also the ranch is in a beautiful setting with some great trails. But unfortunately, it has a way to go before I'd call it Tucson's best ranch.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Skelt440
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

I have been to the ranch twice and will be going again next February. Every time i go, i always get outstanding service and i normally am there during winter break in February. Accidents happen, you're around horses, you have to know that you're taking a risk riding. I was on a loping ride and the horse that my friend was on tripped and flipped over. no one was hurt and the wranglers did a great job handling what had happened.The Tennis courts are kept in perfect condition, and the instruction is great for any level player. I personally love some of the nature hikes/walks and do at least 2 every time. The pools are also kept in great condition, i always see them being cleaned. The food is amazing, and the chefs are willing to cook something special for you if you're allergic to something. There is an excellent breakfast buffet and they have snacks throughout the day for those who need a little extra. The room service is awesome too. If you ever need anything at all, they will be there in under 5 minutes and have exactly what you needed. The staff in general really knows their job and are all very kind. One day while i was there, it was snowing (i know, Snowing in Arizona? but yes)and i had to walk quite a way to go eat, one of the service men offered me a ride in their truck to take me up to eat. The overall quality of the ranch is amazing and i hope to keep continuing coming.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jo p
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

My husband and I just returned from Tanque Verde Ranch last weekend with our 2 children and had a fabulous time. The kids had so much fun in the kids club that they didn't want to come back with us. The kids club is not a daycare center---the kids ware able to horseback ride all morning, fish, swim, etc. The counselors do a great job teaching them to ride, keeping them safe while having fun. My husband and I loved the riding also----my favorite was the Breakfast trail ride where they served delicious eggs with cheese and green chilies, infamous blueberry pancakes, bacon/sausage, biscuits. The food is excellent (focusing on quality not quantity). And the accommodations were updated, clean, comfortable…perfect in every way. One of the highlights was spending time in the saloon with Shane and Lisa. They were so much fun to chat with and offered the most memorable ginger margarita (still dreaming about it). We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Keith, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

I only had a brief 1 night visit but will defiantly go back for more. The room was clean and pleasant the breakfast was great. The pool looked great, the views over the Sonoran desert were breath taking. The Doghouse Saloon had a great atmosphere and great Cocktails.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends