“Dude Ranch Tanque Verde”
Review of Tanque Verde Ranch

Tanque Verde Ranch
Ranked #31 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Birmingham
“Dude Ranch Tanque Verde”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Our first Dude Ranch. What a fantastic place, people, horses and the experience. To compliment if you are not a rider fantastic hikes with Rick, Marcia & Vagina.....well done to them. The Wranglers were equally brilliant. If you have done this type of holiday before and love horses and walking then this is the holiday for you. To top it all the accommodation is great and wonderful food. The dining room staff are very hard working, along with the reception staff and everyone else connected to Tanque Verde.
There are eats outs with breakfasts and evening meals, proper western style. The nature centre is a must, and we saw rattle snakes in their natural environment.

Everyone is polite and reception staff will go out of their way to make your holiday one to remember. Whether you are a novice or experienced Tanque Verde is a must.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Central Point, Oregon
Reviewed April 25, 2013

From the moment we arrived at Tanque Verde Ranch we felt like part of the family. The place is on the edge of Saguaro National Park and has the same topography as the park, stunning. We took our grandsons ages 9 and 11 for their spring break vacation. They joined into the "Outlaws" program for kids their age right away and loved every minute of the activities. Each youngster was assigned his own horse for lessons and trail rides. We enjoyed the imaginative, varied food selections. All of the food was very high quality. Our room was somewhat dated, but clean and comfortable. Pools were just right for this grandmother who likes to swim. On Wednesday night they had an outdoor BBQ complete with excellent cowboy singer to entertain us. Thursday morning's breakfast ride was a great success! We would like to return with our whole family!!

2 Thank ArizonaBonnie
Hingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We spent a week in April at Tanque Verde ranch, and while we did have a nice time, I would have to say I think next April we will look for another ranch to try.

First off- The Good-

Check in was courteous and quick, we felt like we knew all about the place before we even had our bags unpacked. Don't listen to anyone who complains on tripadvisor about distances, all rooms and venues are a pleasant, easy walk, with well lit pathways. (I love the care they take to minimize light pollution, the stars were amazing)

The food really was above and beyond what we were expecting. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners were all very, very good. The pancakes at breakfast ride were truly the best I have ever had in my life, and the biscuits every morning at breakfast were a little too good. The menus were well thought out and varied, all in all close to a fine dining experience, with a little ranch-charm thrown in. The kitchen and dining room staff were friendly and very accommodating, special shout out to Bruce in the kitchen, who was so friendly!

The doghouse saloon was another high point, Lisa was marvelous, and I am still dreaming about the hellfire margaritas. The afternoon popcorn was a big hit as well!

The pool and the grounds are very well kept, we maybe could have used a few more sun loungers, but that seems true of most any resort during vacation weeks.

The evening talks, especially the rattlesnake show, were a big hit!

OK, so The Bad-

We realize this is a ranch, and were not at all expecting 4 Seasons style accommodation, but we paid for the best rooms at the ranch, the Hacienda, and found the room to be spacious, but that was about it. Tired, stained carpet, crumbling bathroom with a tiny, cracked tub, and the mattresses were very cheap and uncomfortable. I requested an extra pad, and they did put one on, which helped a little, but I left the ranch with sore shoulders after a week. Rather than the murphy beds advertised, we had 2 pull out sofas that were adequate for children, but would have been an absolute torture for anyone older than 13 or so. the mattress was about 4 inches thick and I would guess has been in the rooms since the mid 80's.... The view from the room was gorgeous, however, and Housekeeping did do a great job keeping the room in order. And we loved not having TV's in the room!

We came to the ranch for 2 reasons, for riding and for the kids to have a great week at a kids club. So now we come to

The Bad-

Kid's club- very disorganized, with very, very little to do besides what has to be the world's most boring riding lesson, or a trail ride. Most of the kid counselors looked like they would rather be anywhere than where they were. There are is a TV playing at all times in the Kid's room, and most kids were slack-jawed watching old movies whenever we picked up our two. One day I ran into 2 children who had just arrived and were lost and unsure where the kids were. I walked them to the kid's room, and brought them the counselor at the door. Now these kids were brand new, and they were not greeted at all, no "hi, welcome, what is your name?" just, "yeah, you sign up here, this is where we keep the clipboard". I left angry. My two seemed happy enough, as they enjoy riding, but I was curious why they always wanted to eat in the kid's dining room, and I soon figured it out. They also constantly play movies in there. Kids sit silently eating and watching old movies, while the counselors sit in a sullen huddle and talk amongst themselves. No interaction whatsoever. In fact, I twice went in there and found they were talking in graphic detail about the Boston bombings with 8 year olds sitting nearby. All in all I was not impressed.

And now to the riding, which was sort of all over the place... the good- the horses are very well schooled and very well behaved, which is testament to the skill of the wranglers. It is a big job to keep a herd of that size from becoming nose-to-tail drones, and I found the horses all to be pretty responsive, which was a pleasant surprise. I also like the idea of having a lope test, it is nice to go out on rides with people who can also ride. It takes the fun away when you are worried about some terrified beginner flying off the horse in front of you... So the lope rides really were great, long, sandy lopes through beautiful scenery. The only thing I will say is if you are there for more than 3-4 days the rides do get repetitive, but we were there for riding and ride we did, 3 times a day, which was a great value.

Now to the negative. I have been to other ranches, and I have never had wranglers that were that unfriendly. Our very first lope ride of the trip was led by a wrangler who was complaining to another wrangler that she had to take us out as we were leaving! It felt like 'welcome to the ranch, I really wish I didn't have to take you people out" Not a good way to start a week's vacation. It was busy, and they do have a lot to get done, but for crying out loud, do they have to just bring a horse over, point to a person, and say, climb up? Most of the people were absolute newbies and were nervous, and they were treated like an annoyance. Would it kill them to at least let them know what the NAME of the horse they are climbing on to was? A simple "this is Roscoe, he's a real sweetie and will take good care of you" would have made a huge difference. There were exceptions, of course, Maddie was very friendly, and also Katelyn. But many times I saw scared new riders asking tentative questions about their horses being met with sarcasm and derision. We were at the ranch for 6 days. We rode one walking and 15 loping trail rides. Not ONCE did a wrangler ask our name. Not ONCE did a wrangler start any kind of a conversation with us. Now, they generally would chat a bit if you tried, but the general feeling was they really didn't care. Towards the end of the trip we were asked for a horse preference, which was nice, but compared with all the other places we have ridden we just felt unwelcome. Also- if you have EVER ridden English in your life do not tell them. I did for about a year as a child, but have ridden Western my entire adult life and still got grief from wranglers..... It is entirely possible to do that job with a smile and a friendly attitude. I've seen it many other places, I just didn't get much of it there.

It's a shame, as most of what we found lacking in this vacation doesn't cost a penny to fix. I work in the service industry, and to me it is such a shame to see such a lovely place not live up to it's potential due to staff that really don't seem to even like their job.....

So we are moving on to a new ranch next April.

10 Thank jinnie22
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I came here for 2 nights with my parents who are now in their 70s. The ranch is certainly a lovely place set in a beautiful environment. We are all fairly competent riders but we were not sure what level of experience was needed so we started with a walking ride. We rode through a stunning desert trail with a lovely guide, Joe. The horses of course were supremely well trained. The riding itself didn't demand much skill but the trek was lovely nevertheless. We enjoyed talks about the desert animals and reptiles, had a nice evening in the Dog saloon, enjoyed the evening cook out and slept well in well appointed rooms. I personally found the experience a sanitised idea of what staying on a dude ranch would be, and I would have preferred a more rough and ready experience where rides are a bit more personalised. I realise this is hard to do when running such a big outfit. However, I would say that there was a slight holiday camp vibe to the ranch- and everything cost money. You even had to pay for a lope test before going on a more advanced ride. I would have liked to have gone out on a horse with one or two others and a wrangler and rode a bit more freestyle. It was great for my parents though who enjoyed the setting greatly. I think this is a great ranch for families and older people, but probably not exciting enough for the more adventurous!

Johns Creek, Georgia
Reviewed April 24, 2013

From our warm welcome to heartfelt goodbyes we had a fantastic time at TVR. The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. You can tell the staff really wants you to have a great time.

Our room was very basic and dated-but we were not there for the room. The main draw is the horses. Our teenage daughter is our equestrian and had a great time riding and just being with all of the horses. We participated in the team penning which was a blast even for a novice. The wranglers work hard to try and satisfy everyone but we felt they were rather gruff. We did not feel they were mean, but we could not say they were nice either.

Tim does a really great job with the mountain bike program. Darryl is super with the tennis. The pool and hot tub were very nice but they could use some more lounge chairs at peak times.

Breakfast and lunch are buffet style. The selection is very good. I would call the food above average and on occassion some items were short until the staff was notified. Dinner was certainly several notches higher as one orders from a limited menu so each order is freshly made.
We were fortunate to be there for both a BBQ dinner and breakfast ride. They were fun events and enhanced the ranch experience but the food was not that great. For the breakfast the eggs were runny and cold but the pancakes fresh and hot. For the BBQ dinner, the food was also cold. Certainly there are some logistical issues eating remotely, but they do this twice a week so I expected a little more from that aspect.
With such a great time behind us, I do need to mention there was a time I didn't know if we would ever get to stay at TVR. When I first called to make a reservation I was told the reservationist was at a doctor appointment and could I please call back in an hour. I did so and was advised she still had not returned and it was unclear when she would be back. I called again 2 hours later. She still was not in. I asked if I could leave my name and number (they did not ask me). I waited a day and never got a call back. I called again. The reservationist was still not available. I asked if there was anyone else I could speak with. (Is there only one person who makes reservations?) Fortunately, Andrew (I think the COO) was able to expertly handle my call and things were fantastic from then on. I had the pleasure of meeting Andrew while we were there and he really wants to make things perfect for every guest and they get pretty close.
Overall really great place-my daughter cannot wait to go back.

Weston, Connecticut
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This a wonderful ranch experience for the novice or lightly experienced rider. It is not ideal for an experienced equestrian young or old. The horses are hacks, understandably screened for docility to avoid them running off with a frightened guest. There are indeed a few spirited and beautiful steeds, but they are reserved for the wranglers.

That said. the kids program is exceptional as long as your child is under 11 and not too experienced a rider. Make sure that their riding ability is properly assessed on the first day and that they are matched with an appropriate mount.The majority of guests are families with children.

The rooms and Casitas are satisfactory but could use some updating. The food is excellent and the staff is welcoming and competent.

Los Angeles
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This ranch is a quality experience, with a warm, attentive staff and great food. Excellent value for the money. I particularly commend Stringbean, who realized I had no particular way with horses but graciously provided a serene and scenic ride through the national park there. My young cousins joined me the last day and were treated kindly to a mother/daughter cowgirl day. Their children's program is awesome. It took great resolve to stay the course homeward, returning through Arizona from my road trip which began at Tanque Verde, as I was so tempted to add a few final days there. I would be pleased to return someday. Thanks again.

Room Tip: Ask them to mail a map of the premises before you arrive, as I was finally oriented just as it was...