“5 Stars for Tanque Verde Ranch”
Review of Tanque Verde Ranch

Tanque Verde Ranch
Ranked #28 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Upshot: Having just finished my first vacation at the Tanque Verde Ranch, I am trying to figure out when and how I can get to go back again – that’s how good it was! During my week long vacation, the ranch exceeded all my expectations and deserves 5 stars across the board.

For those who like details: The staff at the Tanque Verde Ranch are a wonderful group who are fully committed to great customer service and providing a great vacation experience. They ALL (office staff, kitchen staff, wranglers, etc.) went above and beyond to help make my visit, celebrating my 50th birthday, a fantastic one. One example of this great service was the amazing chef, Ben, and his talented kitchen staff who custom created meals for me at each mealtime due to my severe and wide ranging food allergies. Their incredible creativity and wonderful presentation skills gave me some of the best and most memorable meals I have ever had ANYWHERE! I would never have expected that on a ranch vacation; it was a TOTAL BONUS!

The wranglers were another example of the high standard of customer service offered at the ranch. They were ALL so much fun, so helpful, and so willing to share their horsemanship know how, that I thoroughly enjoyed my week of riding and felt that I grew as a rider during my visit. In addition to the brilliant trail riding and loping rides, I particularly enjoyed the opportunity to participate in team penning, ride an obstacle course, and compete in the Funkana, which even gave me the chance to check barrel racing off of my bucket list! The wranglers know their horses well and couldn’t have given me better horses to ride during the week. They were especially kind in helping to select smooth horses for me, since I was returning to riding after a month lay-off due to a back injury. Even as an experienced rider, I felt one of the things that really helped me to get the best out of my riding time at the ranch was that I took the intermediate lesson that is offered prior to taking the lope check. I found it well worth the time to familiarize myself with Western riding technique, and also to learn about the way the ranch horses are trained, and the cues to which they respond (which is invaluable information)!

Other things of note: the ranch itself is beautiful. The terrain is stunning and quintessentially Western, and the location next to the Saguaro National Park East cannot be beaten, as it affords endless beautiful riding and hiking opportunities. The casita I stayed in was clean, nicely decorated, and generously proportioned with a stunning view. Although I did not personally participate in the biking, tennis or hiking activities offered, I heard them spoken of most highly by other guests. The gift shop at the ranch has a nice selection at fairly reasonable prices and the evening entertainments and nature center offerings were most enjoyable. The courtesy shuttle pick-up and drop-off at the airport was also much appreciated.

Based on my experience at the ranch, I could recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Andrew_F_TVGR, Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thanks for visiting the ranch! We're glad you made memories for a lifetime during your birthday vacation, and we appreciate your compliments to everyone here. Chef Ben and his team are phenomenal, and they take pride on everyone enjoying their creations every day. We're also pleased you took time to enjoy the amazing natural beauty of the Sonoran Desert here at the ranch, and while you were so busy riding, we hope you took a little time to relax as well! Next time, maybe you'll try the biking too! We hope to see you again at Tanque Verde. Thanks!!

There are newer reviews for Tanque Verde Ranch

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We just got home from 5 days at Tanque Verde Guest Ranch. This place is wonderful. They have an amazing set up. The accommodations are first rate Southwestern charm with a very comfortable mattress and good linens, that you will appreciate after a busy day. The activities are well suited for anyone from experts to novice willing to give horseback riding, mountain biking, or hiking a try. The quality or the food was a delicious surprise, pack your fat clothes for late in your trip. The staff is incredible so very friendly, knowledgable, quick to serve, and work so well together that it is truly inspiring. Tanque Verde hit every high mark in one of the most beautiful settings that the southwest has to offer.

Room Tip: The casita suite has plenty of room to stretch out with beefy leather chairs and hearty furniture al...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew_F_TVGR, Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thanks you so much for visiting us at the ranch! We're very pleased that you found us perfect, and that you enjoyed the array of activities here at Tanque Verde. We believe we've done our job very well when you're tired and comfortable after a day of riding and fun, but not before enjoying the food and desserts in the dining room! Your comments about our ranch team are much appreciated, and will definitely be seen by everyone here. We hope you'll come back and see us again! Thanks!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We booked on our first activity holiday at this wonderful resort. Initially, we were worried that we might not participate fully in the available activities, but we soon found out that there was plenty of room to try out the horse riding and mountain biking sessions. In fact, we were often the only ones signed up and enjoyed our private lessons immensely. This made the affordable holiday a bargain. We were kept so busy, we did not manage to hang out at the heated outdoor pool. The food is of a very high standard, and we explored the superb hiking at the adjacent Saguaro Park daily to keep our weight in check. Bonus encounters with local wildlife Havelina pigs, road runners, jackrabbits and one owl were special treats.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jan L
Andrew_F_TVGR, Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thank you for visiting us at the ranch! We're glad you had such a good time, and glad that you got the chance to try so many activities. We try hard to plan the schedule in a way to allow for more than just horseback riding, and it seems as though you got to try much of what we have to offer. Glad you were so busy, but sorry you didn't get to relax at the heated outdoor waterfall pool! Chef Ben and the team are glad you enjoyed their creations in the dining room! Saguaro National Park is adjacent to the ranch, and we're glad you got to try some of its many hiking trails. We hope you get the chance to visit us again and experience even more! Thanks!!

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Tanque Verde Ranch is a true oasis from modern urban living. We had a great time, riding horses through the saguaro cacti, relaxing in the hot tub, playing tennis from morn 'til night, shooting pool in the evening, eating pancake and egg breakfast high up in the hills, barrel-racing in the Funkana, to say nothing of the team penning, which was hilarious! For our family, there's something for everybody, we can all find as much activity or not, as we want! The sunset views are magnificent, and the vibe is relaxed and easy. Interesting guests, too, from all over the world. Easy to get to and very hospitable when you arrive, we'll be back, for sure.

Room Tip: The rooms with high ceilings and fireplaces with 2 murphy beds are well worth it; sleeping by fireli...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for visiting us at Tanque Verde Ranch! We're especially glad you go tthe sense of an oasis, stepping out of reality into a simpler time, as that is exactly what we strive for. It sounds like you got to try almost everything we have to offer, and found more than a little for everyone in your family. Team Penning is one of the most popular activities, and you got right into the spirit! We hpoe you get the chance to come back and see some more of our sunsets! Thanks!!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

My stay brought more headaches then I could have imagined. I will not be recommending this place anytime soon due to the lack of communication between management and guests when there are serious problems that need urgent attention and care.
Not only was this a problem, but Casa West's porch (where the general manager lives on the resort) was trashed when we passed it on a walk ride. What kind of a manager doesn't care to respect the place that he works at? I was greatly disappointed.
But there is still hope for the future. The ranch needs to invest in updates in the room ASAP, and fire a lot of their management staff.
On a positive note the riding was fantastic (Zack Mike and Mark are the best!), the dinners were great once the ranch emptied out, Rick, who drove us to the airport was lovely, and Juan, was the only person in the entire office (including the management staff) that was able to bring a smile to our faces. He is a gem. Also Lisa at the bar is a great bartender who cares about her job , and Brenna (food&bev. manager) is phenomenal. Outside of that though the place needs a serious upgrade.

• Stayed: January 2013
8  Thank Imeanwell

Thank you for your visit to the ranch, and tha nk you for your comments. We know you mean well, and always want to listen to our guests to make sure we can always improve. We especially appreciate your compliments to the individual staff members. We'd like to be able to discuss any disappointment with you personally, and you are welcome to call me at the ranch, at 520-296-6275.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have been going to Tanque Verde Ranch for over 20 years. It has only improved over time.

First and foremost the service is unbeleivable. Whatever you ask for the staff try to accomodate.

When I started going I was single and would go to ride. Later, I conviced my law partners to do a firm retreat there. It was the best retreat we ever had. This year I took my 8 year old twins.

I was delighted to find that there is now a fantastic kids program. My kids typically don't like kids' programs and on the first day they announced they would not be participating in it. By lunch time they were asking to have lunch in the kids only dining room and by day 2 they were doing riding lessons, trail rides, tennis etc. in the kids program. The staff were fantastic.

The rooms are very nice, the food is great and the activities are really fun. Although I didn't try it this time, I saw team penning which is basically a bunch of adults on horses in a corral trying to get a bunch of cows into a pen. What a hoot! City Slickers all the way.

My son also got a private mountain biking lesson (his first time) and said it was the hightlight of his life.

I can't say enough about this wonderful place. I highly recommend this ranch for singles, couples, families and corporate groups.

Most people are repeat guests. Some have gone every year for up to 30 years. There were a lot of large family reunion or anniversary type trips.

It is a very relaxed, fun ranch in the middle of the beautiful Arizona dessert.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank LorettaMerritt

Thanks for visiting us again at the ranch. We're always glad to see folks return, and thank you so much for your fantastic comments. While there are some folks who've been here as long as you've been coming out, you make us newer folks feel great by saying we only get better. We're always glad when kids (and adults!) enjoy the kids programs and the kids counselors love getting the letters and emails from the kids after they head home. Next time, you've got to try the team penning - it's one of the most popular activities! We're espeically glad your son got a lifelong memory with the biking lesson - and we love being able to take care of individual requests like that. Thanks again for visiting us, and we can't wait to see you and your family next time.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed with our small children over the holidays last month. The kids program has riding twice a day, which is really great, but otherwise their activities were lacking, it was more about killing time between rides to be honest, so we took them out early and would go to one of the pools (also lovely). It meant that for us, we weren't really able to take part in the adult only activities (riding, biking, hiking etc) because our kids are under 12 and excluded from joining in (which is wise, but not the best). But we'd rather spend time with our children than apart from them. Santa visited on Xmas eve and that was superb. He was hilarious and the children all got gifts and told Xmas related jokes (some of which were indeed, funny).
Overall, we loved the atmosphere. Everyone working there was super helpful and friendly and down to earth. The food is actually amazing, all the time - including the Wednesday night cook-out food, which was super tasty. That night there was live entertainment, a talented Western singer / guitarist and the whole event was a delight - bonfires dotted around between family tables and still people to help clean up after you.
Check out was a muddle and we were accidentally overcharged $1000 - but it was corrected. I would say that for city people used to slick hotels, this is a different experience, but a great one. We will definitely return, but perhaps when our children are a little older due to the separation issues inherent in the program.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely, private and with views. Some are much closer to the dining room / activiti...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank M E

Thanks for visiting us at the ranch! We're glad your family had fun over the holiday! We're glad you felt what we hope our guests always feel - that staying at the ranch is stepping a bit out of reality. We're pleased you enjoyed the food and the Cowboy BBQ Cookout with live music, and all the activities you were able to take part in. The kids program is a hugely popular part of the ranch experience, and we appreciate your comments so that we can keep finding ways for making it, and the ranch, better in all ways. We hope you come back out to visit us at the ranch. Thanks!