“Skip the buffet” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Dublin, Texas
“Skip the buffet”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

We drove through Saguaro National Park and then went to the ranch as my local relatives had heard rave reviews of the buffet. We were all disappointed. The food was okay but just your basic buffet food. Nothing special at all. In fact, my husband even passed on eating as the buffet options did not appeal to him. Someone else in the party picked up the tab but I see in another review that the cost was $18. I feel bad now because it certainly was not worthy of $18. We were never even offered a refil of our drinks. I was floored at the conditions that the horses were kept in at the coral. I find it hard to believe that animal control officials allow that. We are from horse country in Texas and you would never find so many horses in such a confined space. I did notice on the way to the main dining room that there was a Kids Only dining room. I thought that was a great touch if you were staying there with kids. I also saw some employees with kids outside and the kids seemed to be having a blast. If you are a city dweller and want the dude ranch experience for your kids this would probably be a good choice. For somone local wanting a nice fancy buffet for a special experience, it is not worth the drive.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mcook59
Andrew_F_TVGR, Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for visiting with us along the edge of the Saguaro National Park. We love it when folks come up for a visit, after either driving through, or doing some hiking nearby at the Douglas Springs Trailhead. I'm sorry, however that you were disappointed in your lunch. If you find yourself in Tucson, I hope you'll let me know personally, as we'd love for you to visit with us again. You're right - the dude ranch experience for guests is amazing, and the kids program is one of the family highlights, but there's just as much for adults, with mountain biking, hiking, fishing, and all the riding. Thanks for visiting!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

My wife and 3 year old daughter stayed in November for three nights. It was, in all respects, one of the best and most memorable short vacations we have taken. Starting from our arrival on Wednesday, checking into the wonderful spacious and western-themed room, and then heading to the magical and tasty barbecue in cottonwood grove, complete with three huge bonfires and live western music. The view from our room was sublime desert and mountain scenery. All of the staff were wonderful and polite. My daughter loved the horses and the staff were very accommodating in letting her around the animals in a safe and fun way, even though she was too young for the official kids club program. The variety of activities was very impressive, the restaurant food was great, and the saloon was throwback in time. We will definitely be back soon!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank sloopjrb
Thanks for making the trip to visit us at the ranch. We're pleased you had a memorable family vacation, and it won't be long before your daughter can be an official buckaroo in the kid's program. We're glad you got a good feel for the ranch, and took in as many activities as you did, enjoying the cowboy BBQ at the Cottonwoods, complete with live music, and the fantastic food. I'm sure Lisa was a hoot for you in the Doghouse Saloon! Thanks for visiting, and we lood forward to seeing you next time!
Benson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I have never stayed at this ranch but have eaten there several times for their daily buffet...It's a wonderful place to take friends. We just had our red hat Christmas party there..My only complaint is the main entrees...The buffet is $18.00 which includes tax and gritutity...The salads and rolls, breads are wonderful, but the entrees need work, they are not appealing nor very tasty. You can fill up on the salads and desserts...The entrees were vegetable lasagna which was gooey, pork tenderloin not very good, chicken okay, fish okay, squash cut in large chunks not cooked enough...The atmosphere of the ranch is very appealing and we enjoy going there for our once a year party.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments, and we love seeing your Red Hat group out at the ranch for lunch or Sunday Brunch. It's a great spot for a get-together, feeling like an outing, just on the edge of Tucson. We appreciate your comments, and plan to use them to make sure that all our ranch guests have a terrific meal, every time. We can't wait to see you again!
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

My grandmother started a tradition where we would go just to eat lunch. It was always the same: great service and with a smile, wonderful food and my dad getting full from all the desserts! I highly recommend it for something different, fun and to feel as though you've traveled far, far away. Oh yeah, and for the desserts!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your comments! Ben and his culinary team work hard to make sure you have a terrific meal, and we're glad you've got a tradition of dining with us. It's also a different environment than the rest of Tucson, so while it's just on the east side of the city, it's like taking a vacation right here! We look forward to your next visit, and if you ever have family coming into town, we'd love to host them too! Thanks!
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

We went as a group of girls in our early 30’s. Two experienced riders, two immediate and one person had never been on a horse. (3 Brits and 2 Americas) – the ranch caters for everyone
I was picked up from the airport – the driver told me everything I had to know and was very informative – this was very late at night, and being a girl on my own I felt completely staff.
The first morning we went on the breakfast rise, this was lovely and the pancakes were cooked by the owner – we sat with the sales director – who was lovely and was passionate about every ones experience.
Everyone has to pass a Loop test to ensure your safe, I fully respect this, and think it’s a great idea – A for safety and B for non riders not affecting experienced riders
The horses were in great nick – The Wranglers were great. I have seen some feedback on here – and feel it’s unfair as the Wranglers are working with animals and work hard – and have to have great temper dealing with the public and horses ! We also did Horse harmony with Lisa – what a lovely person. We had our fav Wranglers
The rooms were lovely and plenty of space – far better than I thought they would be
The food was great – and waitress staff again helpful – the BBQ was great
The girl who does the bookings is a star – she is a credit to the organisation
Even the man who helped us fish was fab
There was a wedding on whilst we stayed, this did not affect our stay – it enhanced it – my friend saved the day as the mothers bride had spilt water on her dress – and we lent her our room – this was how friendly everyone was!
The only negative I could say was reception – they didn’t pick one of the group up from the airport, asked us to sign forms that we had already signed, and the bill was wrong – this was easily changed and did not affect our stay
I had a fantastic spa treatment – a member of our group did have her treatment cancelled as the therapist was sick
Everything was far better than I accepted
I would highly recommend the place and the prickly pear cocktail!

Room Tip: Our room was close to reception, wouldn't want to wlak to the top of the hill, after a hard days...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank liz013
Thanks to you and your friends for making the trip out to Tanque Verde for the Harmony with Horses program. We all had a blast with your party, with everything you did during your vacation, and no matter when or where I saw you, Lisa was with you, with a big smile on her face. Melissa, the programs manager who helped you with bookings, is awesome, as she tries to make sure that everyone gets to do everything they want, every day. It seems that you all got do everything, and we'll remember your group for a long, long time, and hope you'll remember us the same. Thanks again, and we hope to see you again!
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

People wonder why my family keeps going back to the same place each March break (8 years so far!). I've just come back from a trip with six of my lady friends where we did the Harmony with Horses program and we are already planning next years visit! This place is incredible - the scenary is unique, the horses well taken care of and lovely, and the staff are always willing to do what ever needs to be done to make your holiday perfect. You can't replicate blueberry pancakes hot off the grill on the breakfast ride, or that prickly pear margarita pool side or the view that you get when you are up high on a trail looking back down towards the ranch. It's a slice of heaven.

Room Tip: MiCasa Su Casa is a great place for a large extended family, the suites are great for a family with...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for visiting (again)! Lisa had a blast with your party and the Harmony with Horses program, and it was a pleasure for everyone to have so much fun with you riding, dining, at the Cottonwoods for the BBQ, and in the Doghouse! We look forward to seeing you next time, and thanks for the chance to show you and your friends such a good time!
West Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Our second year visiting TVR lived up to the fantastic experience from 2011. My wife and two daughters (15, 12) and I all agreed it is our favorite vacation. We stayed in a Hacienda-level room (#66). There was plenty of space for the four of us and we enjoyed the sunset from the back patio (thanks LeighAnn for recommending this room!). We slept well and were pleased with the cleanliness and appointments.

All of us enjoy horseback riding and the ranch excels with the best program I've experienced. The wranglers underpin all the activities with friendly, professional guidance. The wide array of horses (from "King" to "Pinkie") and the variety of activities (lessons to lope rides) leave lasting impressions (both in my memories and on my backside -grin!).

The variety of activities meant that we could separate and regroup throughout the day. Though I enjoyed mountain biking with the guide and other guests, I'll always treasure "Team Penning" with my family! Likewise, my wife enjoyed peaceful afternoons by the pool while me & the girls engaged more active programs.

In spite of all the calorie-burning activities I did (mountain-biking, tennis, riding...etc) I had no problem taking IN more calories thanks to Ben and the fantastic kitchen. The quality and variety of the meals was top-notch, culminating with a Thanksgiving dinner that was amazing. Waitstaff like Lisa and Peggy took care of us and added nice touches to every meal.

The girls (and parents) enjoyed the 'walled garden' of the ranch - they were 'free' to roam in a protected 'cocoon', participating in rides, fishing, bingo, and just general goofing off with other kids.

We'll be back again next year!

Room Tip: Some rooms are considerably further from the main area than others. Ask when booking if you don'...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Calif0rniaTripper
Thanks for coming back for year 2! We hope we see you every year for a long time to come! We know your family will fully enjoy the ranch every time you visit! The different hacienda styles are all great, huge and with great views. It seems like sunset is awesome every single night. We're glad you enjoyed so much riding and the other activities, and team penning is one of our guests' absolute favorite event! Ben and his crew also say thanks for your super comments about the food - they truly do a wonderful job, and believe that your enjoyment in the dining room is just as important as your enjoyment on horseback. Thanks again, and we'll see you for year 3!