“We have been to Tanque Verde 6 TImes Wonderful Place to go”
Review of Tanque Verde Ranch

Tanque Verde Ranch
Ranked #28 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed November 16, 2007

Some of the reviews are very misleading. I have never been to the tanque verde in the past 15 years that the horses did not recieve the best hay (alfalfa) and care available to such a large herd. I have owned horses all my life and a bale of hay is 10.00 a bale now and shoes all the way around are 60.00 a horse every 4 to 6 weeks. The wranglers have always put the horses that were injured or had issues seperate to be treated and I have seen the vet out there serveral times on my trips. The horses are well cared for and are not dead heads. They are incrediable. The wranglers are very knowledgable and very cautious with the guest. I have ridden the lope rides and i have ridden the walk rides. I enjoy them both. The test to pass the lope rides are fair and the comment about the test being to hard to pass in not true.
My late husbands last dream before passing with cancer was to take all of our children back to the ranch one more time and we did 2 months before he left. They were really good to us and worked hard to accomodate our special needs. The wranglers made sure he was safe and that the children went home with some memories they would never forget. As far as the tv goes we asked for one on our first trip and never turned it on. You stay so busy and are so ready for bed that you don't even miss it. It is a great place to go and just enjoy quality time with your family doing something that anyone can enjoy. If I could afford it I would go every year.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank janry

Reviewed September 4, 2007

Nice facility but due to the heat could only enjoy activities from 7 a.m. to about 10. Don't go in August. Also, no TV. So don't go if you expect to watch college or pro football on the weekend while unwinding during the heat of the day this fall. Food is OK, served during very limited times. If you get hungry for a mid day snack, forget it. Horses are good, nice 7 a.m. rides with decent wranglers to help. Afternoon, only thing to do is sleep or sit at the pool.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Alicia31625
Reviewed July 22, 2007

Just back from this full board guest ranch in Tuscon. As a family of 4 we had a great experience! My 11yr old joined the children's program, while the 13yr old joined the adults. We came after only having a few short English style lessons at home, but my husband sooned grasped the western style and was allowed to go on loping rides after the first day. Also many people came with no experience at all and still did well. July is a much quieter time of year to come. Only about 20 or 30 people were there. We had great attention therefore, for the trail rides and the lessons! We had the option to be on horses three times a day. All the wranglers were helpful and friendly and lots of lovely horses to choose from. My daughter particularily enjoyed her time with the children's program. Nancy & Kat taught her a lot. She is keen to continue horse riding now that we are home.
Mealtimes are sociable affairs, with large tables to seat different guests together. The buffet is excellent and all food and homemade soft drinks included. Short evening entertainment is provided 2 or 3 times a week and with the early mornings, you usually want to get to bed early. There is a separate saloon bar for those with more stamina! There are other activities like tennis, basketball, swimming, both indoor and outdoor pools, guided hiking and nature trails. Transport to and from Tuscon airport is provided free, but would advise that this is confirmed with the ranch in advance. Overall we would definitely like to go back again!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank dyners
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Tanque Verde, though nice, is packed with people. The posted pictures do a bit of a disservice, as you see no shots of the mammoth parking lot, nor all the noisy service vehicles zipping around, etc. Walk into the main lobby and be prepared to wait . . . it's "mall"-ish. The pool area and waterfall is breathtaking, but once again, expect lots of folks to be sharing it with you. Tanque does what it does so well that it's become a victim of its own success. Again, it's nice, but if you want a small ranch-style feel to your vacation, don't stay here. I chose not to stay here but only to visit, based on the lack of peacefulness about the place. But if you like rodeo-sized crowds, this will be your cup of tea. I was staying very close by and could have just checked it out on the internet but I wanted to get a feel for the place on foot. Wouldn't you, if you were only a mile or so away? I had no idea how many people would be everywhere you turned. It just doesn't look that way, even in the candid shots. Lastly, the miles-long road leading to the establishment is lined with peaceful ranches, houses, a giant cactus farm, and great hiking trails . . . I know my review is not on the same level as someone who has stayed here, but if you are crowd-shy, Tucson has lots of other options available to you.

Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank Forgottensage
Reviewed June 25, 2007

Tanque Verde Ranch has provided many wonderful trips for me and my friends. Every room is cozy and like a real ranch, with the luxurious like a mini-fridge and XM Satellite Radio. The horses there are terrific and a joy to ride. All the staff, from the wranglers, to cooks, to maids, are friendly and very welcoming. It also is a great experience to meet people from around the world that come and stay at Tanque Verde. I have been to TVR about 17 times within the last year and a half (I just live in Chandler) and it never gets old! You will definatley enjoy your stay there!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank taitenoel
Reviewed May 23, 2007

We stayed for 3 nights having driven down from scottsdale

we where upgraded to a suite which was very spacious with coffee maker , ,large bathroom and comfy bed, nice patio outside with plenty of loungers and a lovely view of mountains.
There are no tvs in the rooms but there is a communial tv room we didnt bother .

All the riding is included in the price there are rides for beginners and another for more advanced you have to pass a loping test to go on these my husband has been riding in england for years but falled the lope test as western riding is totally different to english hacking.

But the beginners rides are great they last about an hour and it is great scenery on the way.

They are nature walks, tennis courts, and a large lake where you can go fishing.

The food is wonderful for breakfast and evening meal it is waitress service but lunch is buffett and all the selections are great, try the stawberries dipped in chocolate they are delicious.

There is a kids club although we didnt have kids with us all the parents were raving about it they give the kids riding lessons take them on nature trails etc.

We had a bbq one evening with cowboy songs which was good im not keen on bbq food , Paranoid about food poisoning, but all my family ate it and they where ok.

the staff are all really friendly , and they is a bar where you can have a drink in the evenings.

It can get a little boring during the day if you are fed up with horse riding but the scenery is great and you can go for walks.There is also a small swimming pool

The whole ranch is very clean and the gardens areas are lovely .

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank louderry
Reviewed April 17, 2007

I can highly recommend Tanque Verde for a family vacation. We were there the last week of March 2007. What really struck us was how many "return" guests we met. As first timers, we were definitely in the minority.

As for things to do, my family enjoys horse back riding so we took advantage of the lessons and rides that are included in the price. The place was at full capacity while we there, but we had no problem doing what we wanted to do and found the classes and rides to still be personal enough as they had a lot of wranglers on hand. AND the wranglers were really great.

The management also seems to be flexible in changing around activities each day to meet the interests of the guests so no one felt shortchanged. However, it was impossible to ask for a specific horse which was disappointing, so if this is really important to you, then don't go during spring break. I personally always seemed to get the horses that required more encouragement to get into a trot or canter and would have liked ones more eager to go fast. (I also think it may have helped to have on hard heeled shoes since I think these horses may respond better to this.)

This is primarily a family place with all the conveniences...so I would suggest going somewhere else if you want the intimate romantic getaway or really want to rough it. One day they did have a "dudeo" where you can try your hand at herding some cows if you had passed the loping test. Otherwise, it's really geared to trail or loping rides rather than cowboy or rodeo type activities. There is also a lot to do even if you aren't a rider, including the pool, hot tub, tennis (I think price includes group lessons by a pro), nature walks, and mountain biking. Most of the rooms have a fireplace so it was enjoyable to just build a fire and curl up with a good book. There were also evening lectures and entertainment...I really didn't get to attend all the ones I wanted to because I also wanted some down time.

There is a kid's club for younger kids which seemed to be well attended and enjoyed. Our 14-year old son easily found some other teens with whom to play basketball, watch the communal TV and hang out at the hot tub...they started their own teen table at dinner time within a few days.

The room was very roomy (I think we had a Deluxe 2) and well maintained and the included meals were also okay. The food seemed fresh and provided enough variety to meet different tastes.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family