“Well-appointed suite, ideal for a couple.”

Starr Pass Golf Suites
Ranked #66 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed here while attending a 5-day conference at the nearby Marriott Starr Pass Resort (24 hour free shuttle). For half the cost of a hotel room at the Marriott, the Starr Pass Golf Suites offers a one-bedroom suite, nicely decorated in Southwest-native American style, with a full kitchen (gas stove, microwave, dishwasher, full size fridge, coffee maker, blender, cookware and dishes), washer & dryer, fireplace and balcony, king bed. Hotel rooms also available - get the suite.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jeff J
Rachel G, Front Office Manager at Starr Pass Golf Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Jeff J,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our resort with everyone. It's wonderful to know that you enjoyed your time with us while attending the JW Marriott conference. The one bedrooms really are lovely rooms, I hope you were able to enjoy the space while you were not attending the conference.

We hope that if you make a trip to Tucson in the future to be of service to you.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

The staff was awesome! Even the back of the house staff driving down the street said hi. The front desk folks were excellent. Great food. The golf course Roadrunner and Rattler were in great shape! We are SVC members so we opted for a studio. It was OK. Not much different than a hotel room. The beds were the expensive memory foam. They were to hard for us and hot. But we don't prefer those types of beds. Not a Starr Pass problem... Our own issue.
The TV was really small and the bathroom was dated but clean. Fix those two and you have a four star winner! The pool was nice and the hot tub was clean... and for once no kids in it. No really, no kids! Nice job folks!!!
We will be back!!
Oh yes try the brisket!!!!

GS

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank garystarkjr

garystarkjr,

What a response! Thank you for sharing your special experience with us and the worldwide web. I shared this with our staff who were very happy to know that you enjoyed your time with us and acknowledged how friendly everyone is on property.

We are going to be updating our bathrooms in the next two years so I hope that you will find them to your liking during your next stay with us.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

We recently stayed at Starr Pass Golf Suites (SPGS) while attending the Tucson Gem Show. We rented two rooms for ourselves and employees through Hotels.com for four nights. After it was learned that our employees could not come, we tried to cancel one of our rooms. SPGS said that we could not do that without canceling both rooms. So we did not. Instead, one of our relatives said that he was going to Tucson during the same time, so we let them have the room. The cost per room including tax was $180 per night.

On the positive side, the reception area is beautiful and nicely appointed. There it ends.

The room (hardly a suite) is poorly lit: one dim light at the entry way and one lamp. It has a small round table and two hard chairs--no comfortable sitting area to relax and watch TV in the off hours. The room was furnished with two full size (not queen) beds equipped with a hard, uncomfortable mattress. There is no Wi-Fi service in the room.

Because this was a business trip, we spent little time in the room and were worn out by the end of the day. We typically would start the day with a cup of coffee in the room, and leave our used cups in the room. After we spent our first night, we were surprised when we returned to the room to see that beds had not been made (they never made the beds during our stay) and that towels were not replaced. Nonetheless, the itty bitty trash can was emptied. When we called the front desk to report the towel situation, they informed us that the hotel was "green" and that we would have to request new towels if we wanted them. We complied, asked for additional towels and they were given to us. The coffee cups were not cleaned, however, a fact we did not notice until the following morning. We later learned that guests have to request new coffee cups to exchange, as they do not provide dishwashing soap or a sink to wash dishes.

The toilet is exceptionally low, and when the guest uses it, expect to dip your hand in toilet water.

Our relatives were so uncomfortable that they ended their stay after two nights. We notified the front desk that they were so dissatisfied with their stay that they were leaving early. They experienced noise in the next room, which like our room is separated by a paper thin door, lack of comfort seating, and hard mattresses. They had to put the extra pillows on the floor to keep the light from the adjoining room out from their room at night. They left their key cards in the room and left the next morning. Despite informing the front desk the night before their departure, they denied receiving this information when we asked for a refund of the the two nights for that room.

It is highly recommended that a guest be prepared to do battle with the management over any issues, since the attitude is not service or guest oriented. When we asked for our money back for the two nights that our relatives did not stay (we did not ask for an adjustment for OUR continued stay) we dealt with the SPGS' "customer service" manager. She denied that they had notice that our relatives had left the facility or that we had given them notice that they were going to cut their stay short. Any response to our requests or complaints were snotty. I responded in turn. They offered nothing to show that they were genuinely concerned. I suggested that someone from management experience the room first hand, and she responded that they were not allowed to do that.

In short, be prepared to pay a lot of money for a fancy reception area, DOCUMENT all of your communications with the management by sending them emails or text messages or notes of which you should keep copies. Do not expect your bed to be made up, your coffee cups or other utensils cleaned, or a comfortable place to lounge in your "suite." You are expected to request everything, as service is not included in your stay. I cannot even say that it is a glorified hotel room, because it isn't.

All in all, it made for a very unpleasant stay. One last note: when I was exasperated that the customer service manager would not offer any sort of recompense, I told her that I would write an appropriate review in TripAdvisor. She told me that she took that as a "threat."

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank RioCebolla
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I was traveling on business and when I arrived I learned that there is no wifi available so that was the first problem. They also needed me to change rooms after the first night which was annoying but no big deal.

The rooms are dated and not particularly well lit. My boss had called to request that my room have a view of the city but rather I looked at an electrical station. If you are traveling without a car you need to call for transportation because the rooms are really far from the lobby. They pick you up in a golf cart which would be fine if I was dressed to golf but as I said previously, this was business. Also the only restaurant on the property closes early so I was outta luck that way too.

The icing on the cake was when I called to say no one had made up my room and I was told they only make up the rooms every four days. What????!!!!! This was not inexpensive either.

The staff tries really hard but the hotel and it's policies are dreadful. Never again. The upside is that after many complaints from both me and my boss we did get half of the nights refunded. But that was no easy feat.

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank vjgymnast

vjgymnast,

Thank you for responding in regard to your stay with us at Starr Pass Golf Suites. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us. We have addressed the situations within our power, such as the cleeaning. Our policy, due to our hotel being a condo style and not a run of the mill hotel, of cleaning should have been addressed with you upon check in to avoid confusion.

With in mind that we are a condo style property we also don't have transportation on property however we do offer up our employee golf carts if a guest is in need of a ride down to the lobby, I am sorry that this is not what you expected. Lastly, in regard to the restuarnat we do understand that we are a ten or so minute drive to any eateries the JW Marriott restaurnat that is on property does close at 9p however at the JW itself they do offer restaurants that are open and serving until 11p.

I do hope that you will consider us as your getaway destination in the future. It seems that the big issue was lack of communication to what our property offers and the policies that we have. I have addressed these situations with the staff and am glad that you and your boss were appeased with the deal him and I made for the troubles you experienced while with us.

If you have any other concerns or comments please don't hesitate to let me know.

rachel.goicoa@wyn.com

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

When I was stationed in Southeastern Arizona and we would visit Tucson I always wondered what it would be like to stay in the foothills surrounding the city, particularly for the natural history aspect. Evenings have been quite relaxing watching the quail, javelina, hummingbirds and other wildlife coming right up to our deck. While I cannot speak to the golfing I can say the pool and restaurant is quite good.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Jadamek390

Jadamek390,

Thank you for sharing your experience whilst staying with us. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the wildlife aspect of our property. I myself grew up in Northern California, a big difference in scenery, but I nonetheless have come to enjoy Tucson and I've only been here a year. It's wonderful to be on the edge of the city but immersed in the wildlife as well.

We look forward to being of service to you on your next trip through Tucson.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

If you enjoy hiking, biking, golf, tennis, and other outdoor activities, this is the place for you. Coyotes, javelina, quail, and other wildlife roaming all around, excellent hiking and golf right outside your door, and a nice pool and tennis courts. Dining options are limited, but you can get downtown or access westside restaurants with an east 15 minute drive. We did get noise from neighboring unit through the lock-off door, so this can be a potential problem. Bathroom was dated and shower was small. Good size kitchen with all appliances, plus a washer/dryer in our 1 bedroom unit.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CalBeacher

CalBeacher,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I hope that you took advantage of the wonderful hiking we have in our backyard, it's amazing how much the mountain opens up when you get back on the trails.

We are plannng a renovation of the bathrooms in the next two years with our guests in mind. We hope that you will find the changes we've put in place and have in the works to your liking on your next visit with us.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

The Good: the View is nice. Mattresses were okay. Rooms are more or less clean if worn. Carpet is neutral. The gym is good, but dated. I would guess the equipment is a few years behind, but its functional and a decent gym, but if you get there too early say, 6 am, the key card may not work and you will need to get someone at the front desk to let you in.
The Bad: the hotel hasn't been updated since I'd guess 1992. The rooms are poorly laid out with the internet wired line (yes they do NOT have wireless internet in the rooms) on the bedstand rather than being on a desk where oh that might make sense. Oh did I mention they don't have wireless internet in the rooms? They only clean the rooms after the 3rd day you stay there which isn't awful if you are alone in the room but if you have family or something you'd might have issues with this "green" policy. They don't stock any teabags in the room and the coffee for the 4 cup pot is not good. The TV is a poor Visio, not a particularly good one and the channels are limited. The VCR/DVD player in the room I would guess is from the 1990s since not many people use those anymore nor can I find them easily for sale. the bathroom shower tiles are missing grout all over and seem a bit dirty, the floors are also missing grout in the bathroom. The countertops are a brown vinyl circa late 1980s early 1990s. The bedding is not good, thin flimsy sheets and a thing top blanket that I wonder whose used lately, not ugly, I just wonder about bedding in hotel rooms as being sanitary. Also if arriving at night, the signs to everything are not lit so it's difficult to see anything. Drive very slowly to read things. Really badly done as far as the signage and zero lighting.
The truly UGLY: Customer service is exceptionally poor at this hotel. The person who checked us in registered us to the wrong rooms. I was registered to one room and given the key to the other room as was my friend and her spouse. They were registered to one room and given the key to my room. this was sorted out only because another issue occurred and it got sorted then. So on my 2nd day in they cleaned my room which I didn't realize was wrong since they don't do that until the 3rd day, well so I went in and discovered they had thrown away all my diet food including protein powder, peanut butter supplement, powerade drinks, bottled water and my coffee and tea that I'd brought with me. they had also pulled out my cooler bag from the refrigerator full of my protein bars and left it on the desk, though luckily they didn't throw it away. As it turns out they had been misinformed that I was checking out and after tossing much stuff noticed I still had clothes in the closet and my luggage amongst other things so they contact management because it appeared to be an error about me checking out. They were told, oh no she isn't checked out, stop. During the final clean out of a room of course they throw stuff away so that's why my stuff got thrown out. Okay I could've accepted this had they made any decent attempt to compensate. What I got instead was a gift basket with nasty hard candies and cookies, high calorie Arizona ice tea, full fat microwave popcorn and oh yes a coupon for a free appetizer at their restaurant. I am sure that appetizer will come in handy since I won't be here all day and it's sure to fit in with my diet. The cost of the food they tossed if I guessed would be around $75, the basket of nonsense they left not anywhere reasonably in that area and in fact completely counter to what I need to have in my room. I've advised my parents who used their time share points to book this for us to stay in for the Christmas break to not use this resort again and in fact please request this "resort" be removed from their listing of places. It really was just an awful experience. I moved my stuff to my parents house in part to prep to take home, but also because I don't trust they won't steal stuff next. Overall a bad place to stay. I highly recommend staying anywhere else but here. There is a nice Marriott in the area, that would probably be better plus being Marriott they tend to have better customer service then whoever it is that owns this, I believe it is part of Shellvacacations.

Room Tip: rooms at another hotel would be best. but if your are a glutton for punishment at least try to get...