“Canyon Ranch Trumps Miraval any day.....................”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
margate, NJ
“Canyon Ranch Trumps Miraval any day.....................”
Reviewed March 4, 2007

Let's see where do I start. My girlfriend and I decided to take a week spa vacation and decided to try Miraval instead of Canyon Ranch (our usual spot) We had no idea that "Opara" was going to be there the week after our stay, with 50 of her guests and 50 crew that won one of her contests. The entire week that we were there construction was going on all day everywhere. This was all in preparation for the "Opra event" The classes were almost non existant, and if you did not hike or bike in the AM you basically had nothing else to do for the rest of the day. The spa area was like a hilton hotel (not even a resort hilton) The entire trip was a disappointment. They were kind enough to comp us one night, but it wasn't enough to make up for the week. Would never return and felt cheated not to have been
at Canyon Ranch!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
10 Thank shosh123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
philadelphia
Reviewed February 8, 2007

I just returned from a four night stay (Jan.25-29) at Miraval with my best friend who lives in Mesa, AZ. I live in Philadelphia and flew into Phoenix where she picked me up from the airport and off we went. The one and a half hour drive was pleasant and easy. We arrived at Miraval around 1:30 pm. and our immediate reaction upon entering the lobby was "it's so quiet in here." We are generally both pretty loud, uptight northeasterners, so we must have looked and sounded likes bulls in a china shop. It took us a few moments to locate the area where you check in. Once we did, we started to realize that everyone around us was operating at a much different, much slower, much more serene speed than us. Two gentlemen at the entrance took our car and our bags and assured us that everything would be taken care of and would end up safely in our room. Being ever vigilant of crime etc., it was a little hard for us to give up control initially. The woman who checked us in gave us our welcome tote bags which contained a property map, list and descriptions of activities and services and other helpful information. She then walked us over to our room. The property was absolutely HUGE and it was very easy to get lost on the winding, tree-lined pathways, but I must say that it is gorgeous. There is a stream that rushes through the center of the resort, so you constantly hear running water, and everything is set against the most beautiful backdrop of the Santa Catalina mountains. Wildlife is abundant and the "wild" animals are surprisingly tame. Birds and rabbits come right up to you without hesitation and it was a real treat to listen to the voices of the coyotes at sunset each day. I have to say that I was a little leary of what the rooms would be like after reading some of the reviews on this site, but we were pleasantly surprised and pleased with the accomodations. We booked a standard double room which I believe had been recently renovated. The furnishings are simple and serene. The bathroom was huge and luxurious complete with separate toilet room, dressing area with frig., double bowl vanity, large soaking tub and separate glass enclosed shower. The room itself had a new flat screen TV and indoor and outdoor sitting areas. The beds and bedding were out of this world! I had the best sleep of my life and my friend bought all of their bedding before we left at the resort boutique. The food was fabulous and extremely healthy. My friend, who is an executive chef, and hard to please, was extremely impressed with the preparation and presentation. It's not easy to make extremely healthy food taste that good. The activities and programs were very special. We took several yoga and meditation classes while we were there as the well as the Equine Experience which is truly unique. We also attended the Mindful Decision Making seminar and the Desert Journey. It is very hard for me to describe any of these experiences as they are all unique and I think everyone takes away something different and relevant to their own personal life from each. My favorite experience was Quantum Leap which we did the day before we left. Basically, they attach you to a full body harness, you climb up a 25 foot telephone pole, stand on top and jump off! Well, you may wonder, how is that relevant to balancing your life? Well believe me, you'll discover things about yourself you never imagined. That was true for pretty much our entire experience at Miraval. Another really wonderful part of our stay was the beautiful spa and the amazing treatments we had there. I had a manicure, pedicure, Ashtanga massage, deep tissue massage, Vie facial and Hammam treatment while I was there. All of them were superb and quite different from any treatments I've ever had at any spa, and I've been to many. By the time we left, we were looking, feeling and acting like all of those well balanced people we noticed when we arrived. I felt completely physically, emotionally, psychologically and spiritually nutured, enhanced and pampered. Truly. Of course, as soon as I got home to everyday life, it didn't take long for the bubble to burst, but I have definitely learned things about myself and others and have come away with skills that have really made a difference in my constant quest to balance my life. Thank you to Miraval and its wonderful staff. Thank you. I'll be back.

• Liked — spa and activities
  • Disliked — some difficulty booking services we wanted
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
8 Thank kitty33
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed January 23, 2007

I had very mixed feelings about Miraval. I booked a Miraval room(now listed as rooms with a fireplace on their website) for a 4 night stay. Since there is 1 direct flight from my (Dulles) airport, my traveling companion and I elected to fly in the evening before our reservation began. We stayed at an airport hotel and took a 9:30 am shuttle to Miraval. In retrospect, this was a good decision as the prices at Miraval are high and we received the benefit of having a full day during our 1st nights stay. The Mirival room was not nearly as bright, cheery or inviing as depicted on the website. As I recall, the furniture layout is not the same and I was a bit surprised at the drabness of the room. If I returned, I woold probably book a standard room, but would miss the bathtub that apparently not come in the standard rooms. The bed in the Miraval room was not as comfotable as I would have liked....a little soft and I expect that the standard beds are probably as bad or worse. If you are sensitive about bed firmness and are sleeping with someone else in your bed this may be something to consider (i.e 2 doubles may be more comfortable than a King). I found the staff at Miraval to be very warm, engaging and helpful and have no complaints there. The food was healthy and fairly tasty but not of extreme gourmet caliber. When I visited they had a 3 day rotation on food at dinner (i.e. the same menu every 3 nights). I was told that they are changing over to a different menu every night which I felt may compromise the tastiness of the food as the chef/staff have to prepare different menus that they may be unfamiliar with every night. There are many activities at Miraval. I enjoyed the equine experience, the mindfullness seminar and the hiking. I loved the reflexology but was not bowled over by the Hamman massage or the hot stone (take this with a grain of salt because I have decided that I am probably just not a spa treatment afficionado). The atmosphere at Miraval is very peaceful and not flashy or glitzy. It is a very homey resort. The level 3 hikes (with guides) were probably my favorite activity. They are a bit rigorous , (5 hours) and you need to be in decent shape to complete the hike. I was a bit surprised that the Yoga/meditation center backed up to the 2 lane road that leads into the resort. Trying to meditate while listening to the cars drive by is not so easy. NOTE: Miraval is in the process of building a wellness center or some such thing right in the middle of the resort. Many guests were complaining about the noisy hum of the bobcats (i.e. small bulldozers) next to the pool and some of the rooms. If I went back, I would try to be guaranteed a quiet room with no construction noise nearby. In the past few years, the resort has changed ownership. If I remember correctly, a mid sized corporation (Revolution Health?) now owns a majority of the resort and the original owner owns a small stake so perhaps the vision of the original owner is not so prevalent. I would probably return to Miraval. If high end, luxury is what you want to be your focus, Miraval may not be for you. If you like peace, serenity and a friendly atmosphere, you'll probably be happy at Miraval.

• Liked — Peace, Seranity
  • Disliked — Rooms need updating & freshening up
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
12 Thank chrisd
DC
Reviewed January 9, 2007

Overall feel - an old lodge, not a "luxary" resort

Room: 70th design, tiny and very uncomphortable bathroom (kitchenett is located in the bathroom!), there was no orange juice in the refrigirator, as advertised, water was not re-stocked on a daily base, we had to ask for it.

Food: the smoothie bar was great, otherwise food was average.

Spa: average, impossible to book a treatment you want, unless reserved 2-3 weeks in advance, do not bother with facials, massage quality is very much depends on the therapist, I was hurting for 2 days after one.

Grounds: ok, but nothing special

Activities: sign-up system does not work - impossibe to sign up for what you want, you end up on a waiting list and hoping for the best...

• Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
12 Thank lanushka
silverlinden
Reviewed October 31, 2006

My husband and I just spent four fabulous nights and Miraval and had the time of our lives! We loved the location, rooms, food, activities, etc. We travel extensively and this has been our most favorite location and facility. A few tips include:

Book your spa appointments as soon as you make your reservations. Book them for late afternoon, as many of the activities take place in the morning and early afternoon. Spend time on the phone with the spa making sure that the person you are booking you appointment with is suited for your expectations and desires.

Spa selections that you should not miss are the thai massage, deep tissue massage, seaweed wrap, sonoran mud wrap and the emergin c facial. We also did accupunture and the hot stone massage.....but preferred the other treatments. Don't think that the more expensive, longer treatments are better....it is all in the associate you get.

Take advantage of the cooking demonstrations at lunch....they are worth it!

Sign up early for the trail ride and equine experience....they fill up fast.

The swing and a prayer activity is fun, so is mountain biking and the hikes.

I wish we would have had time to do the Labrinth and more of the nutrition classes.

Request for a corner room facing the mountains.

We will return soon!

• Liked — Relaxing, great value, lots of things to do
  • Disliked — Not enough time to do everything we wanted to
  • Tips/Secrets — Plan ahead, spend time on the web site learning the activities and with the spa services
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank silverlinden
Saratoga, CA
Reviewed October 3, 2006

This was my second trip to Miraval. The last time was 3 years ago and I went with a girl friend and we had a fabulous time. This time I went with my husband and I was a little nervous about whether he would like it or not. Luckily he did. There were many more men this time than last and there was certainly plenty for us to do together or separate. The updated rooms were great. Our bed was fine. Yes, I wish they had tubs, but you can pretty much have the hot tub to yourself in the evening. The food is extremely good for being low fat. I found the class offerings and overall service to be better this time. I highly recommend the challenge classes and the equine experience. My only negative comments are on the cost and the overall look of the facility is a little worn. However, that said we will definitely go back again.

• Liked — Privacy
  • Disliked — no bathtub in room
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank woodyck
nyc
Reviewed September 21, 2006

My wife and I were there for a five nights, Sunday through Friday. The grounds were nice, the spa clean, and the staff generally nice. However, unlike places like the Ritz (which have a more formalized training program), there was wide disparity in staff quality.

Things we liked...

Spa massages were above average.

Lap pool and full, complete workout machines (its rare these days to find a truly complete weight room, in this case a full set of nautilus gear w/free weights).

Food - the smoothie bar was a 5/5 (its always open)...the buffet meals were above average.

No tipping policy - it really worked- much less stressful not having to deal with signing checks and cash tips.

Air condiitoning in rooms - worked very well.

Things we did not like...

Room - poorly designed, no bathtubs in most rooms, tiny closet, and the bed was TERRIBLE - super hard mattress that made it hard to sleep. Worse than Motel 6 in my room.

Patio furntiture - outside of room Cheap and uncomfortable.

Spa- Wife had facial which was literally painful. Heard similar comments from other guests who we became friends with.

Food - Buffet was good, but- all the made to order entrees (for the most part) were terrible, as far as we were concerned. We stopped ordering them as it made no difference when they were re-made (Here Im referring to "special" sea food dishes, like scallps or Tuna).

Ambiance of the some of the main rooms - the bigger dining room, felt very cafateria-ish.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family