“I thought it was nice; boyfriend loved it” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
New York, NY
“I thought it was nice; boyfriend loved it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2006

Stayed last summer. Boyfriend wants to go back this summer and I'm not so sure. So as we're thinking about it, I wanted to see what other people thought.

I would have to agree with the others that the front desk staff was not all that great.

The rooms were quite average for what you pay. Not even a bath tub! Lots of bugs too. Especially near the rooms. Bring bug spray.

The meals are very healthy and tasty with "healthy portions" (meaning small) although they did let people who wanted more order more for no extra charge. The cooking seminars were fun too.

I liked the aroma therapy massage. Did not like the facial--only average compared to other facials I've had in my life. Hated the pedicure. I still remember her name, Wendy, she cut me, I bleed and was in pain. She ended up doing a schlocky job with major air bubbles/bumps in the polish and tried to blame it on me, said the reason she cut me and the reason why the job was uneven was because she couldn't get all of my old polish off. I ended up crying, I was so upset! I had to suffer all that and then she did a bad job and when I mentioned it she tried to blame me. Hope she is no longer there. If I go back I definitely won't have a pedicure there! (the asst spa manager offered to comp the service but I said that was not my interest, that I just wanted someone to be aware of what she did to me. In hindsight I should have asked for the comp because she also got her tip which she did not deserve. I never even got an apology letter afterwards-ugh, a very horrible experience! Even a quickie $20 mani/pedi in NYC is a better experience than this one). The zen water therapy looked so cool, would love to try that if I come back. The equine experiance was great as were the hiking guys, two thumbs up to them, Also loved the mountain biking class.

Didn't have too much prob signing up for classes although its less crowded in the summer I imagine.

Also there are healthy snacks and smoothies available all day long.....very yummy and healthy.

• Stayed July 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank traveloni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2006

My experience was life changing. I would love to go every year but if not I feel fortunate to have experienced it once in my life time. I am turning 40 soon so I treated myself to this dream vacation. I was not disappointed. The most frustrating part is having to choose between so many activities. I think the ideal length of stay is probably 7 days that way you don't feel pressured to fit so much in each day. I traveled alone and was able to meet people easily. If you choose to dine alone that is an option, you may also dine with others.
If you are looking to go on a vacation to see tucson or take in some shopping this is not for you....when they say destination spa....it's exactly that!

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank 8la4
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2006

the good stuff- the horse folks are great. the spa is wonderful. the food is good.
the bad stuff-under renovation and did not tell us. charged us the same price as the new rooms. old rooms have old bedding. no luxury here. the staff talked to us like we were children promising to "fix it" and "give the problem to them". they gave it right back! we were stuck in a musty old room. i had to fight for the new bedding. i know that's why i went to a life changing spa. to put on my game face and battle it out with the front desk and it's managers! thanks miraval!
if you're asking me- make sure you get a renovated room that is not in the current construction area. book your events in advance. they told us is was not their policy to book anything but spa services in advance. you then spend your few days fretting over a bulletin board trying to get off the wait list. get new management! to end on a positive note- once you get through the front desk antics- you are in good hands. they gave us one night free to make up for all the time they had us waste waiting for calls that never came to deal with the problems.

go to sante fe instead.

• Stayed February 2006
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2006

I have been to a lot of resorts and Miraval is in a category by itself. If you want to truly get to a new place with yourself, learn what being mindful is all about, be pampered, have fantastic food all in a setting that is beautiful and healthy, this is the place.

Really worth every penny. I will go back once a year as its a great way to decompress, examine what is important in life, find tools to acheive balance and meet wonderful people

• Stayed January 2006