“Second Rate At Best”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed October 3, 2009

My friend and I just returned from two nights at Miraval and wow, has it gone down hill! This was our second trip to Miraval (we stayed there five years ago), and it has completely lost its magical feel. Although I enjoyed the food, drumming class, Thai massage, and water conditioning class, the rest of the fitness classes that I took were pathetic. They had a geriatric feel to them, and one of the instructors, Pam, was incredibly condescending. The spa is generic and understaffed. I had to leave four messages to get a return call to book the spa treatments. The spa services are grossly overpriced and the garbage in the quiet room was overflowing. To top everything off, one of the managers, Ben, was offensive when we questioned a charge, and Stacia in guest services seemed totally "out of it." Beware of the hidden $125 per person cooking with the chef fee, and the $14 pomegranite martini drink special that tastes like cough syrup. Although my friend and I made the best of things and had a great time in spite of everything, we'll be heading to Canyon Ranch or Phoenix next time.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
6  Thank birthdaygirl925
Write a ReviewReviews (1,287)

Reviewed August 29, 2009

I went to Miraval because it was cheaper than having a nervous breakdown. It was the first "solo" vacation I went on, and I was a little concerned that I would be lonely or get bored. I ended up discovering the most magical place on earth!! This was my 3rd trip, and I have another scheduled in September 09, (with thoughts of going again before the end of the year).

The rooms are perfect. I enjoyed closing the blinds to take mid-afternoon naps, (which allowed the room to get very dark). I'm not a bath person so the absence of a bathtub doesn't bother me at all. I'm not one to spend a lot of time in my room, so it doesn't matter how big or small it is. I love the fact that their are healthy snacks and water always refilled in my room. They also allow you to "check out" movies and watch them in your room if you like.

The food has changed through the times I've gone. My first visit had a female chef. Since then, there is a male chef, and you can certainly see a more masculine menu, (venison, steak, etc as dinner choices that weren't there the first time). I never had a meal that didn't taste amazing. And loved having the "snacks" at the pool area.

Spa services - the "Spirit Flight" changed the way I live my life. The price tag scared me for a moment, but worth every penny. I returned and did the Samadi Healing Service the next trip... don't do it. Spend the money for Spirit Flight. Worth every penny. Dr Tim is incredible. You MUST book this prior to you arriving. Once someone goes to something that is amazing... word gets out and you can't get in. I booked my trip around his schedule, and booked my second trip with my mother around his schedule.

Individual consultations - I have done a number of these. If you are going to go to Miraval, you need to be open to different. I am a Type A personality and go here to let go and be open to other thoughts and methods. Some have been amazing... others I didn't care for. I won't share what I didn't care for because every person will have a different experience. Remember... if you found something you didn't like... try something else. Use the "spa credits" for one of the consultations.

The no tipping policy is genuine and makes this a completely stress free vacation. If you leave the property to go to the airport before lunch, go to the snack bar the day before and place a "to go" lunch order.

I have seen some cut backs from my first time, (like the recipe wall is gone), but I do not think any of the true spirit has been lost. And... with this down economy... the specials are too good to pass up!! I paid 3x more money my first trip than what they are offering.

Oh... and I was never bored or lonely while I was there. I have met some amazing people every time I have gone. I bring books and a journal with me and when not in a class or spa appointment, I enjoy getting to know myself again :)

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank TallSasha
Reviewed July 23, 2009

This place is so amazing, It is probably the most relaxed down to earth place I have ever been. we stayed In one of the larger rooms. It was by far the nicest hotel room i have ever stayed in. It had this amazing out door shower. All the activity's are sooo good and the food is amazing. We did a cooking with the chef thing. you have to pay for it $100 but it is totally worth the money. That was the best meal I ever had in my life. This place is defiantly a 5 star establishment!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Trippy420
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I know - it's not the typical honeymoon destination. Nonetheless my husband and I chose it for ours. He likes to sit by the pool; I'm a gal on the go. Miraval offered the best of both for each of us.

We were the only honeymooners on property.... AND I LOVED IT. Everyone was so excited for us (there is a bar and lots of drinks were sent our way) and we didn't have to share our special trip with other honeymooners.

Miraval is a healthy lifestyle destination. All of the food and activities are geared towards healthy living. The problem is that the food is so amazingly wonderful that we at A LOT of it. I visited the juice bar every day. I enjoyed the lunch buffet to its fullest, ignoring the portion suggestions and ingredients infront of the food. I am very picky yet I found tons to eat at each meal!

It's the programs that make Miraval special. Each day you have an array of activities to choose from. The activities are not just there - they are led by experts so that you really gain an experience, rather then just doing the activity. We enjoyed tight rope walking and a 4 mile hike into the mountains with former instructors from Outward Bounds. We took a professional photographer course. An art class. I took a makeup class. We did the 1 hour version of their Equine Experience class. It was all top notch stuff.

By the way, we over packed. Miraval is truly a destination where people walk around in workout clothing or robes, sans makeup and hairspray. Some resorts say they are that way but then everyone is dressed to the nines and concerned about their appearance. Not Miraval. It almost felt silly dressing in every-day-casual clothes. (Loved it.)

And the spa...... Ahhhhhh the spa. WONDERFUL. My husband had never been to a spa before. He was hooked (he probably won't admit it.)

Miraval is pricey but worth every penny.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TLFabish
Reviewed June 29, 2009

This was my second trip to Miraval (my first visit was three years ago) and it was even better than my first. Everything, from the beauty of the grounds, to the quality of the spa treatments, to the little touches that make Miraval so magical, combine to make you want to levitate with happiness. I am surprised by the comments on this site complaining that Miraval has "sold out" by cutting corners or going "corporate"--I saw nothing to suggest anything like that. (A complaint that a room was filthy? Sorry, I'm skeptical, when my own room was cleaned within an inch of its life twice a day.) Miraval will not necessarily transform a sad person into a happy person or an angry person into a Zen master, but it's not for lack of trying. I hope they don't change a thing.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank AgentSix
Reviewed June 19, 2009

My children gave me a 3 day stay at Miraval Resort in Tucson Arizona.
I was blown away that everything at Miraval is close to perfect. I am a vegetarian and expected to be marginalized in the food choices. Not so! Each evening there was a beautifully presented, imaginative and delicious vegetarian entree and more! Some of the desserts were just a tad sweet for me but delicious nontheless Breakfast and lunch were equally tasty, creative and beautifully presented.
The grounds are gorgeous and serene, the rooms are beautifully furnished and comfortable. (Mine had an outdoor shower). The spa treatments are far above average. There are nice touches everywhere at Miraval... open a drawer and find healthy tasty snacks, walk through a breezeway and find a juice bar that serves everything from lattes to custom made smoothies, at the pool there is yummy smelling sunscreen ready as you need it.
The daily class offerings are interesting, varied and abundant and the challenge course is, well, challenging. One of the nicest things is that the cost of your stay covers everything (except the spa treatments) and there is no tipping accepted.
Two last interesting and pleasant things to note: the staff without exception seem genuinely friendly and the conversations that you overhear at Miraval seem always to have a kind edge to them. Peacefully different.
Sublime.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank bkegoddess
Reviewed June 5, 2009

Very disappointing trip from a return guest's point of view.

- Pool closed: no notice provided at booking time (just a couple weeks prior to my stay) that the pleasant, partially shaded pool was going to be closed for a week. Attached find a picture of the note guests received in the middle of the night before the pool closed! Horrible customer relations.

- Imagine me, trying to practice Miraval's signature "Mindfulness" ... trying to relax poolside while wateraerobics teacher is screaming and the disco version of Sheryl Crow’s “First cut is the deepest” is blasting.

- All the hotel management had to do was to provide notice of the pool closure and perhaps to offer a small amenity.

Changes visitors from past years will notice:
- No more wheatgrass ("eating blueberries is better for you, just eat some with your lunch", claimed the worker). Yeah, right. First, a couple of years ago, they got rid of the live wheatgrass that was so lovely. Then they at least kept some in the fridge. Now, none.

- Only a couple of smoothie options rather than the delightful selection they used to have

- Have to ask every time you want a bottle of water or soda (before, they were available to take as needed). Rather than the lovely glass bottles, Perrier is in plastic bottles now (BPA chemicals, anyone?) and sodas are in cans. Real class! Water dispensers all over the property were out of cups, even at the Body Mindfulness Center (workout room). Worker told me they are supplied now only once a week and they'll be coming in a few days. Huh?

- Dirty used tea mugs all over spa quiet room.

- Geriatric music for water aerobics class taught by S ("One, singular sensation" -- high kicks, ladies!); same music for years. P is seemingly burned out in her job; no personal attention in classes even when only 3 or 4 guests in the class.

- No refreshing of the two lone water bottles provided in room fridge.

- Indoor smoothie/coffee bar open fewer hours, closes at 3pm. Dinner starts at 5:30. Leaves a long gap with no drink/food available before dinner time. How can they leave guests with no where to get a drink or food? You can't just leave the property! Oh, for a portion of that time you can go to the bar of course and pay a minimum of 14 for a glass of (very small pour) of wine and a sparse display of crudités and crackers.

- Buffets are depressing. Not full of lush fruits and other selections anymore. Fruit looked anemic.

- Pool smoothie bar no longer serves smoothies. Just lemonade, water and soda. Oh, and they really push the liquor now. Buzzed guys swimming around with Coors light on ice really lent a “mindful” air. No longer serve little rolls ups and fruit plate. Instead, hummus and salsa. Yeah, just what you want in the 100 degree heat by the pool! According to bartender (the great, knowledgable sommelier who worked there for many years is long gone), he will be creating signature cocktails for each month now. Wow, hard liquor specials, way to promote health!

- Biggest let down: Mindful eating class taught by J. Guests were laughing about it for days after attendeing. No mindful instructions given. Participants told to select a food they normally don’t like, but then no information given on why told to do that. Then J abruptly looked at watch, “oh, gotta go, I have a private appointment now” and left everyone sitting there like “WTF just happened here??” Maybe the regular mindfulness teacher was on vacation??

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends