“The Place to Reset Your Mind, Body, Spirit”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Ottawa, Canada
“The Place to Reset Your Mind, Body, Spirit”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The last time I visited Miraval was in 2001 so I was looking forward to revisiting the place and checking out some of its new attractions. I was not disappointed. The complimentary shuttle service to/from Tuscon International Airport is terrific as the resort a good hour away, tucked away in the Arizona outback. The grounds are still as lovely as ever , a blend of lush desert vegetation and outdoor art. There are so many things to do so the place will appeal to a wide variety of tastes. Firstly, let me comment about the rooms. This time we stayed in the exquisite Palo Verde Casitas, which were not there before. They are a bit off the beaten track, very private and comfortable. The double room was very spacious and comfortable. The outdoor shower was a real novelty and highlight. A/C worked efficiently and was quiet. The beds were extra comfortable. One aspect of Miraval that sets it apart from other resorts like this is their approach to food and alcohol and salt!There are food options to satisfy anyone from vegan to carnivore. And as for salt, there are at least 10 different varieties to chose from! The bar opens daily at 4:00pm and one can order wine with dinner. How civilized is that?
One can actually gain weight here if not careful. The juice bar was a delight as well. It was nice to see more couples and male groups frequenting the place. All the men I spoke to said that being at Miraval was a transformational experience and that they would return. If only I could get my husband there!! The concept of "resort credits" is something new and takes some getting used to. Guests receive a nightly resort credit which can be applied to certain activities and services but not all, so this can be a bit tricky. If one does reserve for certain activities in advance of arrival, it can be disappointing to find that activity full but space can free up later as people change their minds or not. On this trip I focused on fitness and fun. I am not that adventurous so I avoided the "challenge activities". The BMC was host to the fitness classes that I enjoyed. Kudos to Sidney for some awesome exercise classes. The 2hr outdoor morning hike was exhilarating and the mountain biking was a real hoot. I did not partake in many spa treatments on this trip but the spa facilities just by themselves are something to behold. The lectures were also informative and varied. Staff were quite helpful for the most part but I found the reception backed up times and the wait to rebook activities a bit frustrating. The only thing I would recommend Miraval consider is to pave the road and pathway leading to the 600 block to avoid getting dust/stones etc in scandals. Guests were extremely friendly so it is a great place to visit even if you go by yourself. Everyone is so upbeat, it's infectious! Also the boutique is packed with amazing stuff! 12 years was too long a time period to be away from Miraval. I hope to return on a more regular basis. Three nights was a tad short.

Room Tip: Palo Verde Casitas have amazing outdoors shows and are more private
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank simonadelftblue51
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Hi There - Thank you for your thorough review of your recent visit! I'm glad to hear that you were pleased by the changes to the resort since your last visit 12 years ago. We continue to enhance our property and add new activities and services each year so I imagine it was quite different than you remember - but still maintaining the Miraval "essence" of mindfulness and life in balance. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our new Catalina suites. They are really beautiful and the outdoor shower is definitely an experience in itself! We look forward to seeing you back at Miraval again on your next visit.
Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just finished spending sometime at Miraval, we would both say that it has changed our life forever, and I mean for the good. It was like we were in another world that neither of us had ever experienced before in our lifetime. It was about fitness, spirituality, health, and just so much more. With the staff it was not work, it was a passion. They all just cared so much for us and wanted our experience to be something that we would never forget. We had such a wonderful time that we are planning on going back in six months and are taking our best friends with us. Miraval is about learning to live life the right way and enjoying the ride as you are learning.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dick K
Hi Dick - Thank you so much for writing. I'm thrilled to hear that you and your wife found Miraval to be life-changing for you. I'm proud to lead a team of staff and specialists who are truly in the business of helping people make their lives more fulfilling. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The beds were comfortable but nothing mind blowing about the rooms. If you're going for the lap of luxury go someplace else. What you pay for and receive are exquisite grounds, good food, fantastic staff who know their tuff, and a connection with other guests. I felt it was sleep away camp for adults and I met people who were there that inspired me with their will to improve themselves physically and mentally. I went to get in better shape and this was a great first step and I left with a plan. But what I didn't bargain for, but received, was a plan to put out a better me into the universe. Miraval taught me you give what you get. And gave me some tools to give better of myself to the world.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Shalyoung
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Hi there - Thank you so much for writing. You're correct that Miraval's aesthetic is inspired by the natural surroundings of the Sonoran desert with muted tones - it's what we like to call "sustainable luxury." I'm glad to hear that you embraced the Miraval philosophy of "Life in Balance" and mindfulness and came away with tools to make positive change in your life. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval on a future visit!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is a place to return to annually to recharge! I came here with my husband for a "mind, body, spirit" sort of retreat and was not disappointed. I tried the spa, visited the integrated medicine doctor, nutritionist, exercise physiologist, went to several meditation and mindfulness sessions, and yoga sessions. I ran on the trails/roads and used the gym. The accommodations, food, staff, spa, and activity options were perfect. I've traveled to 40+ countries, stayed at several "spas" and this is one of the best in the world.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IntnlTravelReviewer
Hi there - Wow! Thank you so much for your incredible words. It sounds like you and your husband were able to participate in a variety of experiences while you were here. We're thrilled that you enjoyed your time so much and were able to recharge during your stay. We hope to see you at Miraval again soon!
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I returned to Miraval after a year and had a different experience, which was intentional. Last year, I didn't plan to do any activities and only used the spa services. This year, I signed up for a few things and was even able to get into one that I was on the waiting list for. I had one spa service, which I had also done last year, which was incredibly relaxing. Once again, Miraval showed me why it's considered one of the best in the world.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Jessica A
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Hi Jessica - Thank you for writing such kind words about your stay. I am thrilled to hear that coming to Miraval with clear intentions helped guide you to a different experience. We often tell our guests that "Miraval is all about choice" and what you describe shows exactly that. All our guests have a unique Miraval experience that can change with each visit. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay very soon!
Spangdahlem, Germany
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I love Miraval. The atmosphere, professional staff, and sheer beauty of the desert make this a do not miss experience. I used a Groupon to pay for my experience and will hopefully return again and again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank geminijen77
Hi there - Thank you so much for writing. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful resort setting in the Catalina Mountains. We look forward to welcoming you back for a future visit.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was very nervous traveling to a destination for the 1st time by myself. After 31 yrs of marriage I am going through a divorce. I can't say enough about Miraval, it was an amazing experience. Not being concerned about the weather in July coming from Miami, I found it to be perfect. My room was perfect and all I can say about the bed was it was delicious. Everything you need was there. I attend many of the classes offered both lectures and exercise, all were extremely helpful. I stayed 6 nights and used my resort credits for the spa, which was 1st class. I also opted for some of the 1on1 classes which were well worth the money. The food was first class with a variety of choices. Lastly everyone who works there was extremely pleasant and the best of attitudes. They really do live with "Mindfullness". I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LJSchaefer
Hi Lynne - Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit. We are so glad to provide the space, both physically and emotionally, for you to be able to take some much needed time for yourself. I'm glad you found our unique activities and spa services so rejuvenating and I’m thrilled to hear that you found all your private sessions with our specialists so helpful. I’m so proud of our staff and I’m glad that Miraval’s philosophy of mindfulness came through with each interaction. We will look forward to welcoming you back again soon!