“Very Uneven and Mostly Disappointing”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Prescott, Arizona
“Very Uneven and Mostly Disappointing”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

On the positive side, the resort and setting are beautiful. We had a Miraval suite which was very spacious and private. The mlain problem was the extremely uneven service and attitude of the employees. I have had more welcoming and pleasant service in much lower-end properties. There was a feeling of inconveniencing everyone and general amateurishness and awkwardness. From the hostess desk in the restaurant to the masseuse who came to greet you, you had no feeling of confidence that it was going to be an easy or pleasant experience. Very little information was imparted to us, from getting a tour of the spa to an understanding of the resort. We spent a lot of time figuring things out ourselves and decoding what the property signs were pointing at. We couldn't operate the gas fireplace, the windows, and when our TV went on full blast at 4:50 am, no one could explain it or guarantee it wouldn't keep happening (fortunately it didn't). I will say the Outdoor Adventure staff were wonderful, and that was the highlight of our 4 day stay.We are local Arizonans and are therefore even more disappointed that we won't be inclined to repeat an experience at a place conveniently located in our neck of the woods.

Room Tip: Nothing is a far walk, but look at the resort map and see if it is located to your areas of interest...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Leslie S
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Leslie - Thank you for your kind words regarding the beauty of the Miraval property and the spacious suite you and Susan enjoyed while you were here. I’m saddened to learn that Miraval’s much renowned level of superior customer service so disappointed you. I am extremely proud of the talented team of professionals I lead here; had they known you were experiencing problems locating areas of interest to you, I’m certain they would have walked your personally to those places, while answering any questions you might have had. I’m sorry to know you won’t be returning to Miraval but I thank you for the opportunity of having you visit us regardless.
Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
philadelphia, pa
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I just returned from a three night getaway to Miraval with my two sisters. This is my third trip to such a place in two years. I had high expectations given that Miraval is such a well-known spa and resort (More Magazine getaways, Oprah, Dr. Oz, etc.). I was definitely disappointed in many regards, but the service is what I found to be most problematic. There was a marked lack of warmth, caring, and general regard for the comfort of guests. Basic customer service was almost completely lacking. One example: the first night of my visit the TV came on suddenly at 5 am and the next night it was the clock radio at about the same time. When I went up to guest services to tell them about this, the response was "What do you want me to do about it?" I ended up talking to the director of guest services and gave him a larger picture of the lack of service I had encountered: the nightly confusion at the hostess podium and resulting wait for a table at dinner despite having a reservation, no tour of the property so that on day two we were still wondering if there was a fitness room and if so where it was, no tour of the spa so that we were wandering around the treatment rooms trying to find the locker room...the list of specifics goes on, but the troubling theme that ran throughout all our encounters with staff was that they almost never went the extra mile -- in most cases, not even an extra foot. Of course, there were exceptions -- shout outs to Matt at the spa desk and Elizabeth in the dining room. But if you want to go someplace where you want to be pampered, this is not the place. I will also include one other aspect of Miraval that I found troubling: there is no intake of health problems at the spa before treatments. Instead, guests sign one massive general release at check-in. I have rods in my spine, nerve damage, TMJ and other issues that might be of interest to massage therapists, and indeed, when one plunged his hands down my spine and felt my rods, he was quite startled. But that is indicative of the superficiality of the offerings: I have never had an ayurvedic treatment, for example, where the practioner did not explain the basic concepts of the tradition. There was no way I would take something as serious, say, as cranio-sacral when an exchange between client and practioner is not routine or even encouraged. Unfortunately, I do not see a chance that I would return to Miraval. I have had such exceptional experiences at other spa and resorts, all of which I would return to in a heartbeat, that I can't help but think that people who find their experiences at Miraval to be so transformative have not been to similar and better properties.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank kbomoon
Hello Kimberly,
As I mentioned to Leslie and Susan in the above note, I was saddened to learn that your time with us was not what you expected. Miraval is widely known in the spa industry for the friendliness of our staff, and customer service that goes above and beyond. I’m sorry to know this was not your impression. I apologize that I wasn’t aware of your disappointment while you were visiting our property, as I would have loved to have addressed privately all of yours, Leslie’s and Susan’s concerns. I hope you are feeling well and I thank you for spending time with us.
Chicago
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Mirival totally exceeded my expectations! Whether you are looking for a place to relax, lay around the pool, and enjoy spa services, or looking for something more spiritual this place has it all. The mindful menus are delicious and the staff there is amazing, warm, and very inviting. There is a strict no cell phone policy which leads everyone to be more engaging and enjoying the moment as well as the beautiful scenery! I will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Liz B
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Hi Liz - Thank you for your kind words! I am always pleased to hear that my staff exceeded expectations - I know that our team is what makes Miraval so special. And yes, our guests continue to tell us that in the world we live in today where we are constantly inundated with technology, the no cell phone policy at Miraval is refreshing - though it is important to note that our guests can use their cell phones freely in the privacy of their guest rooms and in other designated areas. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval next year when you return!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 27, 2012

For the record I had never been to this type of resort so this was my first time. I have to say, bottom line - this was most amazing experience ever! I really learned so much about myself and brought home a set of tools that I plan to continue to use post-trip.

We picked this spot for our baby moon/anniversary trip and it could not have been more perfect. We mediated. We did yoga. We ate delicious and healthy food. We swam. I had a mother-to-be body treatment and my husband had a deep tissue massage. We laid out at the pool. The hubs did Miraval challenges. We danced. We took a photography class and did sessions on metabolism, skincare, and nutrition. We also did a private session with a life coach.

From the time we arrived at the Tuscon airport to the time we departed, we were so well taken cared of by Miraval's staff.

This was a life altering trip for us in a gorgeous desert setting with the backdrop of the Catalina mountains, and we both definitely look forward to future visits. We came back from this vacation feeling completely centered and relaxed which was exactly the kind of experience we wanted out of this as we get closer to entering a new phase in our lives.

This was a truly wonderful experience for us and I highly recommend this resort if you'd like some time away from all the hustle and bustle in your life.

Room Tip: I liked the 200's rooms because you are close to the cactus flower restaurant, the pools and not...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tanya W
Hi Tanya - Thank you so much for taking the time to write! I'm thrilled that you and your husband took some much needed time to relax and reconnect before your baby arrives. You have many changes ahead and I'm glad to hear that our specialists and programs were able to put you in the right frame of mind to embrace parenthood with courage and compassion for yourselves and each other. We hope to see you at Miraval again on a future visit!
Pinehurst
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I feel like we've become marketers for this place...its really that good and fun. But.....

A few constructive criticisms from our 5 day/4 night trip, first for me and fifth for my wife:

-On day 1, we had a couples "outdoor calming hot stone" massage, a $580 experience. The massage was great, but the outdoor tent setting was next door to a very noisy, but obviously very fun, water aerobics class, a free activity. The spa experience was largely ruined by the considerable yelling and screaming. We mentioned this to 6 different staff, from spa front desk to twice at the hotel front desk and a variety of masseuse, etc. We've yet to receive an apology call or discussion of how to avoid this experience. Do not understand this....really;

-Guests are advised to make advance plans for classes and activities (many of which are offered only once a week) and then sign up on a sign up board. Problem is that after you check in you will find that many activities for the next day are already fully booked, as the sign up sheets are posted at 5am on the previous day. Was on wait list for many activities on day 1 which never had any openings. Must be a way to fix/improve this for new arrivals; and,

-No coffee pots in rooms (was told they were removed just this year) and it can be a dark hike to the main building where coffee is located. Just curious as to what happened.

Other than that, the staff was great, food gourmet (varied and plentiful), spa offerings fantastic, challenge courses just that and the myriad of activities, classes, seminars, pools, native indian drumming, hot tubs, golf swing lessons, relaxing mountain views are what you've heard and so well described in the reviews here and in Zagat.

Basically, its a world class summer camp for mindful seeking adults. Even at these tariffs, I"m hooked.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ritzytopaz
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Hi Robert and Sharon - Thank you for your kind words, we so appreciate hearing from our guests and am happy to know that since Sharon brought you to Miraval, you are now "hooked." It is true that our staff's friendly faces, our Chef's cuisine and the wide range of activities and classes are some of the industry's most highly talked about attributes. I'm very honored to lead such a dedicated and enthusiastic team.

I'm sorry that the class at the Body Mindfulness Center interrupted the quiet time you and your wife were seeking during your duet massage. I will be speaking with my spa and programs directors about how we might manage those schedules more effectively and mindfully. Miraval's many activities and classes are always a huge draw for our guests and we do our very best to accommodate all who wish to attend the classes of their choice, often adding classes to the schedule whenever our occupancy peaks - I do apologize that you were on the waiting list for one day but happy to know you enjoyed the remaining days and the schedule's wide menu of choices.

Please know we will make a note to make sure that you and Sharon have a coffee pot in your room upon future trips to Miraval. Our guests inform us that they love the ambiance of enjoying their first cup of coffee in the Palm Court or the Cactus Flower Restaurant; however, we will make sure you have a coffee pot of your own when you return to Miraval in the future.

I hope you'll visit us again soon - it would be a pleasure to visit with you personally then.

Leicester, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I had never been to a spa and found that I loved it! It was more than relaxing it was inspiring and spiritually uplifting! I challenged my self every day by doing the zip line, hiking in the mountains and doing all the fun exercise programs that they have. The spa was spectacular, the staff were always helpful and smiling. I left there with a new purpose and filled with hope. I will go back as often as I can. Miraval is awesome and then some!

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the main building. It will be closer for all the activities
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Hi Linda - Thank you for writing! I'm glad to hear that you challenged yourself and also took time to relax in our new Life in Balance Spa. Thank you again for writing and I hope to see you back at Miraval on a future visit!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My heart rate is down. If you need a place to go for it to be all about you...come here. From the moment I was picked up at the airport to the time I had to say goodbye to new friends, I was taken care of more than I had been in a very long time. I went solo and took advantage of every minute I had to enjoy everything from the challenge adventures to the spa treatments. I left with great memories and pictures and new friends...and oh the food was delightful. I can't compare it to anything really. You can make this experience whatever you want it to be. The staff....oh my goodness....they are remarkable. It is so obvious that they care about you and want you to enjoy the 'moment' you are in. I had never been to a spa before but I can only say that I doubt seriously that I will ever be able to go to another spa. I am coming back here. You are surrounded by the sounds of the birds and the waterfalls....an occasional bunny will hop by....short horned lizards will stop to pose for you. The art and subtle sculptures will appear and make you smile and wonder. Go take pictures of the art at the entrance at night, when they are lit up...fantastic. Take it all in...do something you have never done before. You can read at home....go do the Quantum Leap and release your fears. What a celebration of life it was for me.

Room Tip: Book what you need....they are all fabulous. No bad rooms here.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Carla R
Hi Carla - Thank you for taking the time to write! I'm glad to hear that you took much needed time for yourself and that your experience here was everything you hoped it would be. I'm thrilled to hear you talk about our staff - I can attest that every member of the Miraval team is focused on giving personalized guest service. I hope to see you at Miraval again in the near future!