“Not a Single Complaint”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I just spent this last weekend at Miraval and was incredibly impressed by the entire resort. The campus is beautiful, the rooms are clean, the food is delicious and healthy, the staff was accommodating in every way, and there are more than enough activities to do. Miraval is a very diverse place because a person can stay there to have an active and adventurous trip or to do nothing and completely relax.

They also just opened their new spa, and it is amazing! It is extremely luxurious and all of the treatments I had were done by competent professionals. The locker room was also very clean and is equipped with a relaxing sauna and jacuzzi.

I have been to quite a few spas and this is hands down the best one I've been to. Especially the management, I was really impressed with how involved they were with the guests and making sure they were happy and taken care of. The Resort Manager Leann, was especially helpful and went above and beyond to accommodate us.

Everyone who has been to Miraval that I've talked to has highly recommended visiting, and after going for my first time last week I highly recommend it as well.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Hi Noelle - Thank you for writing! You are so right to point out that Miraval can be anything you want it to be. You can choose to pack your schedule with classes, hikes, and spa services or you can choose to relax by the pool. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the new Life in Balance Spa and that our staff exceeded your expectations at every turn. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval in the near future.
Michael

Write a ReviewReviews (1,258)

Reviewed May 24, 2012

When the friendly staff at Miraval ask me how I am doing, I hear myself saying "Great. Everyday is a good day at Miraval". I regularly visit Miraval because of their professional and responsive staff, excellent spa cuisine, diverse activities addressing physical, emotional and spiritual health, as well as cutting edge spa treatments. Most recently I toured the latest remodel of the spa in partnership with Clarins. What a sight, spare yet luxurious, peaceful yet energizing.

I brought my daughter during my most recent visit for her 21st birthday and she can't wait to return. She loved the deep tissue massage and custom Clarins facial. And enjoyed her visit with Wyatt Webb, creator of the Equine experience, a personal awareness offering. I have worked with Wyatt in the past and really appreciate his direct and caring feedback. He works hard with participants to further personal growth in the face of uncomfortable feelings and observations. We also enjoyed working creatively with clay as well as the diversity of athletic activities ranging from boot camp type workouts to yoga and dance.

This is what I appreciate most about Miraval---I can find what I need during each visit based on my personal goals and circumstances. I have had rigorous weeks of challenge courses and personal training with exercise physiologist Andrew Wolf, as well as trips where I learned diverse yoga and meditation practices. I have also spent visits just relaxing by the pool. Sometimes a girl just needs a rest!

I also appreciate that the Miraval philosophy emphasizes choice. That all options are available, and that guests are left to be mindful about their own decisions. This approach is a refreshing change from spas that manage food consumption and prohibit alcohol. And it is so relaxing to not have to think about tipping during a stay, no money to carry around, one less thing to think about....

I recommend Miraval for its comprehensive approach to health and wellness, the immaculate grounds and interesting artwork, the staff who remember guests year after year and strive to provide the best service possible, the multitude of spa treatments, and the variety of athletic and educational activities. It is a great place for weekends with friends and family, and is a very comfortable environment for those who prefer to travel alone. No complaints from this guest!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a patio
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write - and what a lucky girl your daughter is to have a mom like you! We so appreciate guests like yourself who embrace the philosophy of Miraval and appreciate the aspects of this special place that make it unique. Thank you for mentioning our emphasis on choice - we offer such a vast array of programming, classes, lectures, and services so that our guests can make mindful personal choices. We are very much looking forward to your return! Thank you again!

Reviewed May 24, 2012

I just returned from an incredible stay at Miraval. This is not my first stay there, and will certainly not be my last! I am so thrilled that such a place exists. I have traveled extensively and find Miraval to be the perfect place to truly unwind, discover, heal and re-connect with myself. This is a place that always gives me back a lot more than I bring to it. When I needed healing, I found it there. Inspiration is everywhere. It has become home. Thank you Michael Tompkins, for creating such nurturing, service-oriented culture throughout. The entire staff is gracious and happy to be working there. The newly renovated spa is exquisite, with knowledgeable and inspired therapists. The challenge courses, fitness classes, dancing, I get to try something new each time. And then, this whole other layer of experiences, like starting a meditation practice, attending lectures, letting my spirit soar to the sounds of tibetan singing bowls and Dr. Tim Frank's Spirit Flight. Did I mention the food, healthy plentiful and delicious? At Miraval, I feel no judgement, and the more open I am to the experiences and people, the more I truly recharge my batteries, learn something new about myself and come back ready to engage back into my life. I recommend you go for as many days as possible, the more time, the better you'll be able to explore and take advantage of the depth of what's offered. Thanks again, Michael, Leeanne and the entire staff for making such an experience possible.

Room Tip: The 600's (Catalina Rooms) are amazing. You will love the outdoor shower and gorgeous views.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alexandra F

Hi Alexandra - Thank you for all your kind words. I'm so glad that Miraval was able to give you what you needed. You have truly captured what Miraval is all about - unwinding, discovering, reconnecting with yourself and trying something new. It's great to hear that you took advantage of all that Miraval has to offer. We look forward to seeing you back here again soon!

Reviewed May 22, 2012

There's no question that an incredibly beautiful resort that serves delicious food and offers really wonderful spa services will ultimately be ruined by terrible service ... that is if one defines terrible service as that which ranges from non-existent to surly and downright rude.

My two adult daughters and I really looked forward to this little vacation together but it became apparent within the first 30 minutes of our arrival that none of the employees seemed to know one thing about providing decent customer service. We arrived right around 3pm and were told that the juice bar closes at 3pm but the lounge opens at 4pm. Want a cold drink or a healthy glass of juice at this famed resort and spa? Sorry, you're out of luck until the bar opens. Then maybe ...

OK ... so we unpacked and returned at 4:00 to find that delicious appetizers had been put out, but there's no staff person at the bar. About 15 minutes later, I saw a young man with drinks on a tray and I asked him if he was serving juice. He rudely answered, "No." So I asked him if we could get some juice and he told me to go to the bar, which was right behind him and was still unstaffed. When I told him that there was no one there, he barked back, "Well, if you'll give me a few minutes, I'll get you some." It took him more than ten minutes to bring us three glasses of juice, after he finished serving cocktails to everyone else. So it seems that the purpose of the bar is to sell alcoholic drinks ... which means that if you want juice, you'll be served last.

Fast forward to our visit to the spa after dinner that first evening. We checked in at the desk that was staffed with two employees, neither of whom offered to show us around the facility. Instead, we got a hand gesture pointing in the general vicinity of where the facilities were and telling us where "You guys" need to be at the appointed time. Nothing like going to a first-class resort and being greeted by ill-mannered teenagers.

Guest Services, we were told, is open 24/7, yet on no less than three occasions when I went to Guest Services, no one was at any of the three desks. By the beginning of our second day, the horrific service was actually becoming comical. Each of us was having our own unique experiences with the staff ... again, either not being available, being ignored or dismissed, or being treated rudely. The dismissive service even extended to the hostesses in the dining room. On one occasion, being next in line to be seated, she looked right past us to another party who'd entered after us, greeted them excitedly, and started chatting with them while ignoring us completely. When she finally turned her attention back to us, she was cold and perfunctory, treating us as if we'd interfered with her socializing. On our last day at lunch, we were greeted by a hostess who asked us if we had just arrived, despite the fact that she'd seated us at breakfast just a few hours before. (Honestly, the place isn't that big or that crowded.)

Ordering one of the wonderful freshly made juices at breakfast became a real challenge when, inexplicably, the one person at the juice bar "disappeared" for at least ten minutes. This created a situation where all the servers were lined up to place juice orders but no one was there to fill them. So the juice that I ordered when I first sat down wasn't brought to the table until I was finished with my meal. The server apologized profusely but, obviously, it wasn't her fault.

The one and only place at Miraval where the service was excellent was in the Cactus Flower Restaurant (the main dining room) where all the servers were pleasant, efficient, and most delightful. It's as if they were trained by a completely different management team, and their excellent service was greatly appreciated.

While I could continue the list of other instances of poor customer service, there are other issues worth mentioning. The spa services, while excellent in quality, were shorter than the stated time, by my experience about five minutes. So a 50-minute massage turned out to be 45 minutes, and a 75-minute treatment ended up being 70 minutes. Quite a few program offerings ... too many ... were offered a la carte for an additional fee. And Miraval's statement that it is a "non tipping" resort fails to be transparent about the fact that the "resort fee" of 18.5% that's added to the room rate is actually a mandatory gratuity. Maybe the good news is that guests aren't expected to tip more than the 18.5% (over $100 per day per person) that Miraval automatically charges.

In retrospect, I suppose I should have anticipated the poor service my daughters and I were subjected to. When I phoned their reservations department twice in February, I was left on hold for over 30 minutes each time. So I ended up sending them an email, stating that I wanted to make a reservation for mid-May and would someone please call me. I did receive a call from someone who was shocked ... SHOCKED!! ... that my two calls had been unanswered. After my recent visit, it's clear that non-existent service, dismissive service, and rude service should be expected.

I have traveled the world and visited all seven continents, I've stayed at resorts and spas on a number of occasions, so I was really looking forward to visiting Miraval which I had heard about in glowing terms for many years. Obviously, something has changed ... I will not be going back.

Room Tip: It's my opinion that a Spa should not have televisions in the guest rooms ... one goes there for...
6  Thank EJG_CA

Hi there - I'm disheartened to know you found Miraval's customer service to be so dissatisfactory. Our employees take great pride in guest satisfaction and in going the extra mile to make our guests as comfortable as possible. I'm sorry I didn't have the opportunity to speak with you and the other two members of your family, while you were at Miraval, so that i might have been able to correct any inconsistencies you encountered. Nevertheless, I will take your feedback to my management team. Thank you for visiting us.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

I just returned from my second trip to Miraval. This time I took my daughter, at her request, to celebrate her birthday. In all, we had a wonderful vacation with lots of positives. There were some areas of concern which I will mention in this email.

Highs:

1-We both thought the Thai Massage was a highlight. Neither of us had had one before so we really didn't know what we were in for. My daughter had the traditional Thai massage; I had the Naga Thai with Peter. If I could have had another, I would have booked a second one on the spot!

2-We had room 501 and loved it for the location, especially the very private shaded patio, where we spent hours together.

3-We enjoyed the food very much and thought lunch was the best meal of the day with the terrific variety.

4-We liked the morning hike and thought our guides were very knowledgeable.

4-One woman in guest services was extremely helpful and knowledgeable when we asked her to help us plan our stay. She was honest in her recommendations about services and all of her suggestions were right on. I’m sorry I cannot remember her name but it started with an ‘M’. (McKinlay?)

5-We loved our time with Andrew Wolf. We each had a private session with him on the day we arrived and have found his information and advice to be very, very helpful.

Lows:

(admittedly, some of these are small things, but this is supposed to be a premier resort and I paid well over $1,000 a day, so, frankly, I didn't expect these types of flaws)

1-We drove in and arrived at about noon. Our first event was a session with Andrew Wolf at 2:00 and when we went back to our room after lunch to change, our bags still hadn't been delivered. We had to call to track them down and only then were they finally brought to our room.

2-We never had slippers despite being told we were to have them with our robes and despite being told that they would be sent right over.

3-The receptionist at the spa had unkempt nails with left over nail polish, mostly chipped off. I cannot imagine this type of first impression for an employee of a world class spa that offers manicures as one of their treatments. It was a real turn-off.

4-Twice we got to the cocktail reception at about 5:30 only to find out that all of the nuts were eaten. When we asked for more we were told both times by the bartender that they only make a certain amount each night and when they are gone, they are gone. (Really? For the price we paid you could afford to put out endless nuts.) When I went to guest services, Charley was very sweet and helpful and found some more nuts for us.

5-We had mixed feelings about Wyatt and It’s Not About the Horse. We went separately and both felt that although he is a very good facilitator, he was judgmental and harsh. As we get farther away from the experience this keeps coming up as most disturbing.

Some specific examples are:

a. He immediately stereotyped a woman who said she was raised in “warm, loving Italian family”. He challenged her on it and said something as, “Whoa! I know what those Italian families are like—they are super critical and you can never get approval.” When she tried to protest he wouldn’t hear it.

b. When he found out I am a lawyer, he immediately rubbed two fingers together and suggested that I handled my life in certain ways because it was all about the money for me. He then asked me sarcastically if I had gotten a better room at Miraval because I am a lawyer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a secluded patio
1  Thank Sandy F
Reviewed May 18, 2012

The accommodations were incredible. So clean. Gorgeous decor. Very comfortable all around - not noisy, comfy bed, private, spotless, fantastic. But that's not even the best part.

The best part? The service. I mean, ridiculous. I don't know how they train their staff, but this is far and away, without a doubt, the best staff we've ever encountered at a hotel. From the spa desk, to the restaurant, to the yoga department, to the greeting/check-in, every single person was friendly, helpful, great at his/her job, and a pleasure to get to know. This has never happened before, but I actually miss these people! They just went above and beyond. If management is reading this right now, here's who I'd like to thank for making our experience so memorable:
Fernanda (restaurant)
Melissa (restaurant)
Gil (restaurant)
Lindsay (spa desk)
Mattie (yoga)
And the young guy at the spa desk - my apologies to him for not remembering his name! But he was a sweetheart!

Also, the gym facilities were fantastic. Amazing machines. All the classes were fun. The whole feel of the resort was great. But the staff just couldn't be nicer, more helpful, or more accommodating. Did I mention that yet? ;) Loved it.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wheats19

Wow! I'm always proud of our entire staff here at Miraval but I'm so glad to hear that our employees went above and beyond to make your stay exceptional. Thank you for your kind comments and shout outs - I will make sure to pass your appreciation along to the team! I hope to see you back at Miraval again soon!

Reviewed May 16, 2012

Thanks to Oprah, myself and my 3 best friends from high school enjoyed a few nights together at this fantastic resort. Even though we won this trip, we all entertained the idea of coming back because we can't imagine anything else like it! The setting, the new spa, the food (!) and the people working there are all top notch!
There's many pro's......many have already been reviewed, so I'll just touch base upon a few of our own. My 3 friends were all given rooms in the 200's and 300's, and all 3 were identical, very pleasant and I wouldn't have minded being in one of those rooms at all! They were the perfect size if you are traveling here alone, as we saw quite a few people who were doing so. It's a thought that I would even do if I needed to just focus on myself for a short time. The 200 and 300's (and the 100 blocks as well I believe) all have their own little patios just outside but the rooms in the 2's and 3's are near a man-made little creek and waterfall, so the sound from the water was a "natural" tranquilizer. I was waiting to check in from 10:30 in the a.m., which wasn't a problem since my luggage was just placed in one of my friends rooms. By 4'o'clock, I was told I was "upgraded" to a room in the 600's because whomever was in "my" designated room decided to stay another night. The 600's are spectacular because your room patio faces the Catalina Mts. and you step right off into the desert if you wanted to. You also have a huge white sandstone tub in a gigantic bathroom, complete with an outdoor shower AND a fireplace that can be seen from inside your room or from your patio---so well planned out! Those rooms felt a bit more modern to me, and well, a bit more masculine, so that's why I say for me, I think I would have actually been very happy in the 200's or 300's in a smaller space because at times I felt like I was sleeping in an art gallery and wished my husband could be with me! (As a side note, there are some men who were there....but not many....probably a ratio of 10-2) So, what I am basically saying is that all the rooms are great! It's up to your personality where you would feel most comfortable. The 600's are more private, however, they are farther away from the spa and pools.
We all picked different treatments and classes and enjoyed the cooking lunch demo (and please note---some in our group cook very little!), the horseback trail ride (thanks ReAnn! -- I learned so much about horses with your 10 minute introduction!) and we all loved the early am hike into the desert (still can't believe how gorgeous the desert can be!). You can't possibly do everything, so my advice would be take the time and look over the schedule ahead of time like they suggest. We asked everyone who works there what classes or treatments they knew about or experienced, and I must say, I was a bit surprised that many of the employees did not yet have any of the experiences and perhaps management might consider letting them try things out a bit? That way, when you ask what to wear horseback riding, they would know to tell you "jeans!" not "whatever you want" or if you asked "what do I wear to my Oriental Foot Therapy", they wouldn't say "your robe is fine!"----they would have first hand experience and would pass on correct information. Also important is to remember that everyone who comes there may be there for the first time. It's a pretty easy place to navigate after walking around twice, however, if you have never been to the Yoga center, you do not know automatically where the mats are kept. So, to be told "go ahead and grab a mat" or to not be shown how the locker combinations work is a minus. Maybe a tad trivial, however, it all adds up and for the money one would spend here, no assumptions should be made.
We loved all aspects of the restaurant and the juice bar! Would not change a thing! I had read a few reviews where people complained either about the food or being hungry and I can't fathom why. I am an ex-pastry chef and worked at some nice properties and I do have some high expectations when it comes to this area. Everything was perfectly ripe when served! That alone was amazing to me because often you'll still find "pink" tomatoes or a pineapple that wasn't quite ready. Not here! Every meal was tasty and gorgeous and we always ordered at least two appetizers and one entree per person and usually two desserts at dinner! The wait staff was very attentive, and we asked for "Connie" every dinner because of her warm hospitality and sense of humor! There was always something for everyone and many new dishes to try. It actually inspired me to get back into the kitchen more often in just preparing my families meals. Healthy food can be diverse and easy to prepare...that's what I walked away with, along with some new memories with some of the people who I have known for decades and some I met on the van ride over! Fantastic experience!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank terynnotkaren

HI Teryn - Thank you so much for writing! I'm glad that Miraval gave you the opportunity to make new memories and meet new people. Thank you for your feedback about the rooms - I'm glad you enjoyed modern luxury of the Catalina rooms and were able to see and appreciate the other room types around property as well. Great suggestion to future guests about reviewing the schedule of activities prior to arrival to better plan their stay. I would like to mention that we do encourage our staff to experience Miraval programming and services when they have time in their schedules; however, with over 200 services, classes, and programs (and new ones being added all the time), it's a constant (though always rewarding) battle to keep up! It's wonderful to hear that you were inspired to start cooking again after your visit. Our new Mindful Eating cookbook is now available in Miraval's online store as well as on Amazon.com and in Barnes & Noble. You'll find over 200 recipes from Miraval chefs. We hope to see you back at Miraval in the future.