“What a wonderful retreat!”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I love Miraval - This was my first visit to Miraval and it won't be my last! You are taken care of from the moment you are picked up at the Tucson airport, until you are delivered back there. You can have whatever type of spa vacation you desire. If you want to be pampered, the treatments offered are wonderful. If you want to challenge yourself, there are lots of zip-line/rope type courses for that. The classes are great and varied for people of all levels and interests. The staff is so well trained - they are so helpful, kind and motivating. We told our bus boy at dinner how sweet and well trained he was. He truly lit up and told us how much that meant to him - and you could see the sincerity! The food is amazing and plentiful! Although they show you the calorie/fat breakdown, you are not limited in any way as to how much to eat. They will also work with you if you have food issues. My husband is a vegan and each night they worked with him on his menu.

Don't miss the equine experience. My husband and I had no interest in anything to do with horses - Well, this "is not about the horses" and it truly isn't! It's a wonderful growing experience that uses horses to learn about yourself. Highly recommend it! You will come home from Miraval renewed and refreshed.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joshmom
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Thank you for writing! I'm glad you and your husband had such a wonderful experience working with the culinary team - we are always more than willing to work with our guests to accommodate dietary needs and preferences so it's nice to hear your positive feedback. And yes, you are so right that the Equine Experience is not about the horses! I'm thrilled that you chose to do it during your stay and loved it! I hope to see you at Miraval again soon!

Reviewed March 11, 2012

Have just returned from my 8th annual visit to Miraval and it won’t be my last. I decided to go the first time to celebrate turning 50. I came with a friend, both of us stressed and tired from work and family/personal challenges. After spending 4 nights there, we realized that Miraval was not a luxury but rather a necessity for us. We vowed to return each year together and have done so for the late 8 years (I came twice by myself). The first course I took was Mindful Stress Mastery – that tells you where my head was at! Someone who met me that first day and saw me a few days later told me I even looked different! The experience has been life-changing and transformational for both of us. I now refer to it as my annual self-care retreat. Only time/place I can completely detach from my everyday life for a few days and focus totally on myself. This last trip I did not turn on TV, pick up a newspaper, or get online once. Not an easy thing for me to do but it further enhanced my ability to “disengage” and relax.

There is something magical and mystical and very spiritual about Miraval for me. I can get good spa treatments anywhere (although MIraval does have some unique offerings!) but it is so much more than that: The physical facilities, the accommodations, the setting, the views, the grounds, the food, the workshops, the people. And I am SO looking forward to the new spa facility. One of my favorite treatments (done in a warm, private pool) is Aqua Zen – the ultimate in “letting go” and relaxation.

The food is always good and plenty of it. You can eat as much (or as little) as you want at any meal – food is delicious, healthy, and presented beautifully. Some off-menu selections are always available too. They also provide take-out boxes if you’re in a hurry (or for later) and fresh fruit is everywhere. Plus there’s the café (juice bar) for early morning and daytime snacks, specialty drinks, tea and coffee, etc. Love the hors de oeuvres in Wild Bill Lounge each evening too.

The outstanding professionals that present courses and workshops, informal lunch ‘n learns, and one-on-one sessions are some of the best around: dietician, exercise physiologist, personal trainers, meditation and yoga instructors, psychologist, life coach, registered nurse, physician and others with unique areas of expertise. For me it is both self-help and health Nirvana! But the great thing is that you can customize your stay to be whatever you want it to be. My friend usually focuses on nutrition and fitness activities for herself while I focus more on self-development and self-awareness pursuits although we both do a little of everything. There are even opportunities to meet with visiting psychics, astrologers, native healers and other specialists. There is literally something for everyone.

Some of the workshops I recommend are Grief, Loss and Letting Go; Sharing the Journey, Our Midlife Transition (for women only); Reflect and Transcend; Mindful Stress Mastery and anything with the registered dietician and physiologist. There are new offerings all the time. Some of my other favorite activities are Cardio Drumming, I Chi Flow, and any of the varied daily meditation sessions. Of course there is also the traditional golf, hiking, tennis, horseback riding and mountain biking activities not to mention zip lining, rock climbing and other “challenge” activities for those interested.

And while there is always something to do at Miraval, it is important to schedule in some quiet alone time. I like to sit at the Bird Ramada (my favorite spot at Miraval) and write in my journal while communing with birds and nature. I also love to sit at the Kiva (spectacular views) or walk the labyrinth. Quiet time by one of the pools (or in the outdoor Jacuzzis) reading or just taking in the scenery works too! I even enjoy hanging out in the beautiful gift shop browsing through wonderful books, previewing relaxing CDs and so on.

As an Authentic Circle (frequent guest program) member, I also enjoy express check-in, a generous credit toward a gift shop purchase, extra spa credits, and special welcome gifts. It’s like Christmas in the desert! And I was able to take advantage this time of a special package that allowed me to get an upgraded room for a great price! (I had a waterfall outside my patio door and a spectacular mountain view).

My friend and I have researched other spas and considered trying other places just for variety. But we can never get ourselves to go elsewhere. We suspect we would be disappointed and just comparing every other place to Miraval. Once you’ve experienced the best, there’s no need to look elsewhere. Each time I arrive at Miraval, I have a sense of “coming home.”

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Donna C

Donna - Wow. You have truly captured the essence of Miraval in your review. Thank you for taking the time to write it, and more importantly, thank you for making Miraval a part of your life. It is always good to sit down with a fellow nurse and it was a pleasure catching up with you during your stay. I enjoy our talks very much and appreciate your feedback more than you know. I will see you when you return - and do hope you bring your group to Miraval next year! It will be life-changing for everyone who joins you.
Best regards,

Reviewed March 11, 2012

This is my third trip to Miraval and once again everything was perfect! The site, class offerings and seminars are wonderful. But what Miraval does best is guest service. Each and every person we encountered treated us as if we were a special guest in their home. They obviously select the right people and empower them with a sense of ownership.

I'm looking forward to returning to visit the newly refurbished spa! The temporary spa is very nice and did not take away form our Miraval experince at all.

Thank you Miraval and staff for offering such an incredible getaway!
Linda H.
PS. If I could give the drink selection ten stars I would...the juice bar is AMAZING!!!

Room Tip: I personally like the 100 200 rooms because of their location and they are actually less expensive t...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Hi Linda - Thank you! I'm proud of our Guest Services team and love hearing stories like yours. Empowered is a great word - and I think you hit the nail on the head. On your next (4th) visit, you will become a member of our Authentic Circle program - very exciting! We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval when the new spa is complete - I promise, it's going to take your breath away...

Reviewed March 9, 2012

Wonderful cuisine, excellent early morning hikes: very social atmosphere. We'll return soon I hope.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank teddytoad

Thank you for writing! We look forward to having you back at Miraval soon.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

After 3 incredible days at Miraval with my dear friend, I am in awe of the restorative experience. Having been through a rough few years, I had no idea how defeated I was. There was nothing we did not take advantage of - the activities, lectures, spa treatments, and signature experiences that make this spa so special. My favorite was the Equine Experience and a lecture by Coach Leigh. The rooms and food were amazing and the entire staff can not do enough to make your stay perfect. Miraval is extremely spritual and I had no idea that it would totally change my life.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank JackiP328
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2012

Hi Jacki - Thank you for writing such kind words. I'm glad that Miraval could be a part of your healing journey. I will make sure to let Coach Leigh and the Equine team know the impact they had on your experience. We hope to see you back at Miraval again soon!

Reviewed March 6, 2012

Miraval is my absolute favorite place to visit! This was my 5th stay and each time, I enjoy it more and more. It is where I go to break from the craziness of daily life and feel refreshed and rejuvenated. I love the overall focus on mindfulness and life in balance. There is so much to do- wonderful activities throughout the day and excellent spa treatments/ spa therapists. Not to mention, the entire staff goes above and beyond in every way possible- they are friendly and absolutely delightful!
Miraval is the ultimate luxury and spending time there is one of the best gifts you can give yourself. Every time I go- I don't want to leave!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank HJNYC

First, thank you for coming back to Miraval again and again. Our entire staff loves seeing familiar faces when our guests return. And because so many of our guests make Miraval a regular part of their lives, we created the Authentic Circle Loyalty Program as a thank you. The program gives extra benefits to our return guests. Thank you for all your kind words and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Enjoyed a 4 day stay recently and thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance, spa services and generally good food. The ongoing spa renovation was not disruptive at all and the spa village was adequate. Every treatment I received was top-notch and among the best ever personally. THE best facial, THE best hot stone, etc... The spa staff are all so very nice. The various fitness classes were also great and I especially liked that many of the classes were only 45 minutes long allowing you to participate in more activities each day. The only negatives I can think of would be the rather tired decor in the dining room and the dining service was spotty. Some waiters were very attentive and but others seemed to ignore me until I had to flag them down just to give my order or ask for a cup of coffee. I am giving an overall "very good" rating for service when I factor in the excellent spa service. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank seabreezer

Thank you for taking the time to write! I'm glad that you enjoyed all your spa services and fitness classes. We are very much anticipating the opening of our new spa facility and look forward to unveiling it on May 1st. I'm sorry to hear that your service in the restaurant was inconsistent - I will take your feedback and follow up with our team. I hope to see you back at Miraval when you return!