“Exceeded our expectations and then some!”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I live in the Midwest, and my family lives in AZ. For the past 7 years, my parents and I have been meeting up annually to spend time at another popular Tucson health resort, which we loved. This year, we decided to try Miraval. The horses appealed to my Mom, and a change of pace is always what I am looking for. We were a bit nervous that Miraval would not live up to our past wonderful experiences.
WOW!!! Were we surprised and delighted to quickly learn that we had discovered the coolest place on earth! Within a day, we were completely IN LOVE with Miraval. The grounds are lush with plant life, birds, trees,flowers, outdoor sculptures/artwork, waterfalls, rocks, running water throughout the entire property... and easy to navigate as everything is basically situated within a large circle of lighted pathways. If you do happen to get lost, there is a friendly face right around the corner to happily point you in the right direction. It may be an employee, but could also easily be another guest. Everyone there is happy, relaxed, and in a good mood! The staff were ALL genuinely friendly and did not SEEM to care...they DO care. It's quite obvious, to me at least, when the opposite is true.
Food is readily available, and without a doubt, the most consistently delicious dishes I have ever had. Not just while on vacation, but EVER! I made a daily visit to the juice bar for handmade- from- scratch smoothies and freshly squeezed, organic juices. The oatmeal cookies were to die for, and surprisingly not very fattening. Everything has a little ingredient card showing calories etc., if you care to count. Lunches and dinners were gourmet, 5 star quality and a very diverse selection every night. I splurged on a Basil Lemon Gimlet one night, made with organic vodka! Delicious, delicious, delicious is all I can say about the food and drink at Miraval. (note-I lost about 5 pounds in 5 days and was constantly eating...which proves how well-balanced the cuisine is!)
My Mom loved every minute of her equine experiences with Mr. Webb and the gals at the stable. She has been an equestrian for over 60 years, and actually learned a lot from them. We both utilized all 3 pools...a lap pool for serious exercise, another one for floating around on rafts with a margarita, and a salt water reflexology pool with pebbled bottom to sooth your feet. I spent lots of time in the spa. The "Beyond Tranquility Aloe Wrap" soothed my sensitive, over-heated skin and totally lived up to its name. The "Prickly Pear Sugar Scrub" made my skin feel as soft as a newborn baby! (It hasn't felt so smooth in 50 years!) The "Ultimate" and sensitive skin facials were soothing, relaxing, and left my skin more healthy and younger looking. I loved the skillful facial massage techniques, as well as the "Back Facial", which treats your back to a thorough cleansing, exfoliation, mud mask, and essential oil massage! Ahhhhh....pampering feels so good!
But what REALLY blew me away here were the lectures and experts willing to help you to change your perspective on life. I attended the Drumming session and was lucky enough to be able to chant, dance, and drum with Tony Redhouse. Pam Lancaster's Shuniya sound therapy felt like it totally re-tuned my stressed out body. Dr. Tim Frank's Spirit Flight is beyond explanation and a very personal experience which I would strongly suggest for anyone suffering in any way. And Dr. Mark Pirtle's Skillfully Aware lecture, private session, and book have set me on my path to meditation and the very real health benefits of quieting your mind.
I could write for hours on the pros of Miraval...Soooo many more things I could compliment. And not ONE negative thing to say, which is VERY rare for me, as I am easily annoyed and have pretty high expectations. But one thing summed it all up for me as I was waiting for the airport shuttle. (always on time with friendly drivers, by the way!) In the past, I would be sad about having to end my vacation, and nervous about returning to the rat race of life. Worried that I would lose all this serenity as soon as I left the grounds. But this time, I was EXCITED to leave. Not because I wanted to leave. I could stay there forever, if possible. But excited to go back to my life with a fresh outlook, a healthier body, and new tools for coping with stress. I can't wait to go back again, but until that time, Miraval memories will keep my life in balance. THANKS MIRAVAL!!!
PS-Rooms are beautiful, comfortable, and private! Privacy is a must-have for me to relax. Beds are like sleeping on clouds.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank CaseyCynthia
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2011

Wow! Your review just made my day. Stories like yours are what make me love my job more and more all the time. Miraval is such a magical place and you clearly understand and embrace it. It sounds like you experienced some of the services and private sessions that are truly unique to Miraval. I'm not surprised that you call out Spirit Flight and Shuniya Sound Therapy as memorable and valuable for your personal growth. Thank you again for sharing about your trip! We look forward to your return visit!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,227)

Reviewed August 26, 2011

Where do I even begin?? Miraval is the perfect haven for anyone!! And I mean anyone!! We all deserve to have someone else "take care of us" at least a few days in our lives. The "experience" begins at Tucson Airport when the resort driver warmly greets you upon arrival with a sign with your name. I didn't have to lift a finger as he easily found my suitcase and escorted us to the "Camp Miraval (for adults)" van for our leisurely drive to the resort. It is a very different vacation experience not having to be the driver or navigator to get to our destination. I felt peaceful & at bliss and knew there was even more to come.

Upon arrival, we were greeting by very friendly and personable staff. Instead of a busy lobby, the check-in was a wonderfully leisurely experience. The staff assisting in ensuring we had our spa appointments scheduled upon arrival. The accommodations are spacious. We stayed in a beautiful Casita!! Beautiful views of the mountains and very private!! And who doesn't love an outdoor shower!! The bed was truly one of the most comfortable beds that I have ever slept in...and as a "road warrior", I have slept in many a hotels. There is nothing like cranking the air conditioner to 60 and snuggling into a perfectly weighted duvet. Yes, even in July in Tucson.

The food...ahhh...the food!!! Let's just say that who would have thought that healthy eating could be SOOOO good!!! It is not a "health only" type of dinning. The philosophy is more about portion control but is hard to do when the food is so delicious and so healthy!! At least going back for 2nds was guilt free!! Some of the items that I am still craving - quinoa salad, chilled melon soup, sweet potato pancakes...etc.!! I don't think I have ever experienced a dining experience over 4 days where EVERY single bite I had of the various items presented perfect!! And I am a bit of a foodie...

Besides the dining experience, my friend and I took advantage of the Palm Court that offered FRESH squeezed juice, smoothies, & snacks ALL DAY LONG!! For those who still want their daily cocktail, Brave Bill Lounge offers a full bar and specialty drinks. Fresh fruit martinis/mojitos & "mocktails" even making having a cocktail a healthy experience! Unlike other "health retreats", Miraval is not a "dry" resort.

The activities available are suitable for any traveler. Whether you choose to be active with a beautiful mountain biking tour of the mountains, mildly active with days filled with spa treatments, or completely non-active sitting by the pool, you feel like you fit in. There is no pressure to do the activities but once you get there, you will want to try everything!! My 3 favorite experiences on this particular trip were the Equine Experience, Quantum Leap II, and Drumming!! (see photo below) I met several other guests who were there for different reasons. To relax, to de-stress, to bond with friends, to get through a hardship, or to just "re-discover" themselves and have "me" time again, we all had the chance to create our own memories.

The spa experiences were phenomenal. Each treatment was personalized to my needs. The pool (which didn't smell like chlorine) was at a perfect temperature and my friend and I noticed it felt like "healing waters". I think it was a salt pool!!

There is so much more that I can say about Miraval but it truly needs to be experienced to understand the "magic" of Miraval.

Tips:
* Don't overpack - it is not a fashion show. We had dinner every night in our bathrobe and felt very comfortable.
* Plan ahead and read up on the activities - daily activities need sign up so get up early and get your name on the list.
* Do things you never thought you would do and "let go" of the stresses and barriers.
* Don't worry about the heat - Tucson had perfect weather in July!! The monsoonal rains were brief and mainly in the evening - which made for beautiful mornings!
* Stay a minimum of 4 nights - believe me, any less and you will wish you stayed longer!

Miraval - "You won't find you anywhere else" - that pretty much says it all as I found myself again!! 4 days have truly helped me get the re-affirmation to be an even better person to not only others, but more importantly to myself!

THANK YOU MIRAVAL....my Miralove!!

Room Tip: Every room is a great room!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

With every word, I can feel your enthusiasm and love for Miraval. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your recent visit with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed our food - I'm cosntantly amazed by our chefs' ability to make delicious, low-cal creations every single day. We're looking forward to publishing a Miraval cookbook next year with great recipes like the ones you mentioned so look out for that. Glad you enjoyed the Equine Experience and Quantum Leap II. I find it interesting how two very different activities can lead you to a similar place of self-reflection. Also, I love your tips that you share with future Miraval guests. They're spot on! Look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval soon!

Reviewed August 24, 2011

This place could not be better. Great, gracious, fun staff. Stunning natural beauty in every direction. Healthy food that actually tastes delicious. Daily spa treatments. Every imaginable activity from rock climbing to horseback riding to mountain biking to yoga . . . or you can snooze on the chaise if that’s your thing. Camp for grown-ups. This is a five star experience all the way . . . with nothing snooty about it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SonomaHutch

Wow! Thank you for writing! You hit the nail on the head with "Camp for grown ups" and "nothing snooty about it." We say that Miraval is all about personal choice - and your comment about keeping busy with activities and classes or spending the day lounging on a chaise is exactly correct. It's all up to you and we support your choices whatever they might be. I hope to see you back at Miraval again soon!

Reviewed August 22, 2011

This trip was for me to recharge and regroup . I went by myself and going for a workshop with Louise Hay and Cheryl Richardson. That was all I expected. Picked up at the airport all easy, arrived at the resort, graciously welcomed by Mary. She began my experience of safeness and I knew then this was not going to be just any other trip. I loved all she exuded and I must tell you I spoke with her many times thru my week there and my affections just grew. She is such an asset in so many ways. The workshop was exceptional then I decided to continue my inner journey and booked private sessions with Tony Roadhouse, what a ceremony of rebirth. Excited about my future. Then my next was with Tim Frank, a special soul with special gifts who made me feel I really do matter. Brent Baum healed and released and with the mtn backdrop, peaceful surroundings I was free. I strolled, I reflected, I pampered at the top service from the spa and came home with new fingerprints. Yes, I plan to return every year to set a new platform to live my life from each time. A special, stellar service from all, resort experience!

Room Tip: My room was facing the mtns, outdoor shower, clean, spacious, had its own patio yet private. I would...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo

Hi Lori - Wow! I absolutely love what you said about coming home "with new fingerprints." I think you pinpoint so beautifully what Miraval is capable of. I'm glad that Miraval was able to be your place to recharge, regroup, and re-center. Wishing you only the best and I look forward to seeing you next year when you return!

Reviewed August 12, 2011

Returned for my second of which I hope is an annual trip. It was nice to see that Miraval adds new programs and classes, so that it's not the same every year. Participated in a tennis program of which the instructor was excellent, not what you would think, yes we did a few drills, but so much more is added. Randy in boot camp is a wonderful instructor, taught me about how I run and how to work out for yourself. Heard 3 excellent talks on Eastern Medicine, metabolism, and lunch with an exercise physiologist who answered many questions. Everyone very personable and helpful, and of course the spa was again amazing. Brought 2 newbies this year, and they both loved as well. My one friend she even had a little tear in her eye as she was leaving. So much more than the typical massage spa!!!! Oh, and the food is amazing and they really mean it when you can wear yoga wear and spa robes all over the property. Love not having to get dressed up every meal on vacation. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind words! I'm so glad that your second visit was just as wonderful as your first. Only two more and you'll be a member of our Authentic Circle! It sounds as though you got a well-rounded experience; and, it's so great to hear that you brought "newbies" with you this time and that they loved Miraval too! It's true what you say that it's so much more than a spa. See you when you return!

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Nothing more beautiful to me than the Miraval Resort,. The familiar, always pleasant staff and the superb cuisine only get better. Even though they are completely redoing the spa treatment area, it is still lovely to have services performed where the casitas usually are. Brent Baum is more than highly recommended, seek him out. LaLa has THE gift for Reiki. Extremely nice girls in the mani/pedi salon. Marion and the girl from New Jersey, I wish I hadn't forgotten her name. So sweet and fun!!!!!! Everyone is. Thank you to the Manager!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the food, and your services in our Spa Village. I'm so proud of our team here and love hearing from guests like you who appreciate the people who make Miraval so special! I look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Perhaps the best thing about Miraval is that it can be whatever kind of experience you want to make it: fitness, pampering, wellness, therapy, relaxation, education, spiritual retreat, whatever you need. And all of it is so very well done. The accommodations are very comfortable, the food is healthy and delicious (yes, they even offer creme brulee!). You can enjoy wonderful wines, unlike other spas. The staff is exceptional: happy to be working at such a wonderful place and it shows. Grounds are beautiful and a sighting of the resident bobcat kittens was a bonus!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joan c
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2011

Thank you so much for writing! You hit the nail on the head when you say that Miraval "can be whatever kind of experience you want to make it." We always say that our guests can come to Miraval and just relax by the pool and do spa, spa and more spa or choose to pack their schedules with hiking, fitness, yoga, wellness lectures, private sessions, and more. You really can make it whatever you need. You point out an interesting distinction that sets Miraval apart from other destination spas in that we offer wine and a full bar. Miraval is all about choice and I'm glad that you appreciated our wine list. Thank you again for writing - we hope to welcome you back to Miraval again soon!