“Can't wait to go back” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
NY, NY
“Can't wait to go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2007

This was my second trip to Miraval and it was even better the second time around.

The first trip was packed trying to attend as many classes and sessions as possible. This time I was more selective in my activities and spent more time at the pool.

July is super hot in AZ and it rains briefly most afternoons.

The food is amazing, plentiful and does not taste as healthy as it is. I love their approach to eating mindfully and was so happy just being there.

The spa is good, I've had equivalent or better services elsewhere, but when immersed in the atmosphere the services take on a new level of relaxation. The quiet room in the spa is one of my favorite places to relax.

I tried water aerobics although i hadn't planned to work out much and found out I loved it. My previous visit I took a wonderful water color class which unfortunately wasn't offered while I was there this time.

Signing up for dinner was a challenge the first time with trying to fit so much in, but this time it was much easier.

I can't write eloquently enough to describe my experience, but it was definintely worth every penny. From the second they pick you up at the airport to the time you leave it's possible to have a completely different and equally good trip as your companions. I recommend if you go with a friend make sure it's someone who can do things on their own leaving you free to try what interests you.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
4 Thank MsTravela

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2007

Miraval is a major disappointment -- from the management to the maids. Unfortunately, because of the Oprah endorsement it is attracting a very unattractive group of guests. Arrived at Miraval happy and content and left stressed out.

• Liked — I left there knowing that I am a happy, well adjusted person. Miraval breeds dysfunction.
  • Disliked — The front desk staff is particularly rude and unhelpful. Management could care less about guests.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
31 Thank EleganceCalifornia
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2007

I have stayed at several 5 star hotels and top rated spa's worldwide. My friends and family consider me to be extremely hotel and spa picky.
I give Miraval thumbs up! There is something here for everyone. Customer service was excellent! Our hotel room was very clean and we received cleaning service twice daily. The beds were out of this world
and the bathroom was fair. There was a bit of construction but it did not seem to trouble me due to it's location. Running water surrounds the entire property and the peacefulness of water was in every direction. The last reviewer indicated Opera showed up but we did not see nor hear about her arrival. I have stayed in many hotels were celebrities were there and news like that travels fast. If Opera and her entourage were there we never saw or heard about it. The spa services were great and the classes were excellent! I highly recommend
the Thai Massage ask for Peter. The challenging activities were a journey that in the end reflected one's self. The food prep was good and staff was always willing to offer extra. Daily snacks, drinks, and food were always nearby. You never went without. Miraval is all about mindfulness and everyone there made you feel welcome. The grounds were lovely and I look foward to my next visit.

• Liked — The bed, activiaties, customer services, spa
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank rememberSt_Louis_MO
Evanston, IL.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2007

I had been to Miraval 3 previous times by myself. This time, i brought my husband. The new owners have certainly ruined the charm and energy.. Our room was large, beautiful and cleaned only when we called to ask. The exercise classes have become few and at low levels (except for the class where i asked the instructor for variations, because of a bad knee and was told that i probably shouldn't take the class!) The food was so far from my previous experience - and the dinner choices (3 rotations of menues a week) were poor.

And then - after we left OPRAH ARRIVED - with her drooling entourage. Well, now i am looking for a new spa to visit this winter - i hope that Oprah doesn't find it and ruin that one for me.

• Liked — the privacy
  • Disliked — not cleaned to our specifications
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank arpwoman
Springfield, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

Prior to leaving for Miraval I read some of the negative comments for the previous 6 weeks. As expected I was very apprehensive and copied some of the excerpts from the negative comments and sent to Miraval. I received a response within 24 hours with some explainations of the complaints. None the less I was very apprehensive upon arrival as I had planned the trip with 2 other girl friends/nurses.

We were informed our room would not be ready until 3pm, we arrived at 12N and our room was ready. We were greeted at the entrance gate by 2 workers (one took our car and transported all of our luggage and a receptionist who escorted us around the grounds and to our room). We did not depart until 7pm on the day we were to leave and check out time was 11am. We were told Miraval would store our luggage and we could participate in any activities we wished.

We had NO difficulty scheduling classes. Miraval had added additional classes that were popular to accomodate most everyone. One class for the 6am - 8am hike was quickly filled, but we were told to show for a class that was full b/c someone usally did not show.
We stayed in room 121 and did not experience any noise from construction. When walking to the spa I could hear a piece of large equipment backing up but was unsure if it was on Miraval property or that adjoining. We only experienced minor problems (3 people to a room and only 2 coffee cups, 2 chairs on the balcony and 2 water glasses). It would have been nice to have the 3rd item. I did ask for the first day and the cups were added but removed the next day. One night at dinner we had a problem getting served d/t chatty waiter and had to ask on 3 separate occasions for our meal.
There was a button on the phone that said "anything you need" and that seemed to be the way things went. We never turned on the TV and we attended toooo many classes. Our biggest decision was to attend interesting classes or lay by the pool. Usually the classes won out.
It seems to me Miraval may be experiencing some growing pains but we will certainly return. It seems they have responded to the negative criticism by adding classes, etc. On a 1-10 scale, we would rate it >9.5.
Hope this review helps from an apprehensive guest who read the negative reviews just days before our arrival to Miraval.

1 Thank Slodog
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2007

I spent several days at Miraval with my wife as part of our honeymoon. Neither my wife nor I could imagine a better place to relax and enjoy ourselves following our marriage. It was picturesque and serene. The staff was extremely accomodating and friendly. They provided us with great service from the start. The guest reservations manager, Megan, provided us with a tour of the entire resort's grounds and showed us to our rooms immediately following our arrival. That evening, we received excellent service at the Miraval restaurant where we were waited upon by Justin. We were provided with a complimentary bottle of wine as a wedding gift. The following days were spent enjoying the one of a kind spa treatments and activities Miraval offers each of its guests. Particularly enjoyable were the photography lessons and desert mountain biking. If we had the opportunity, we would visit again, and again, and again.

Stayed September 2007
Dallas TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2007

My wife had been to Miraval once before, and she was interested in taking me with her. I was skeptical, as I didn't think there would be much of interest for a man at a resort of this type. I was very surprised and enjoyed the most relaxing and invigorating vacation I have ever had. We participated as a couple in some of the activities and alone in others, which was a nice balance.

I'm excited for us to go again, as it was a great experience for us as a couple. The activities are challenging and eye opening, and the resort and rooms are beautiful. I travel extensively and stay and entertain in many top hotels, and I found Miraval to be extremely refreshing. I would highly recommend it for any occasion, as it will definitely make you more "mindful."

Stayed September 2007