“Forming Community at Canyon Ranch”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucson
Canyon Ranch in Tucson
Ranked #2 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed at Canyon Ranch in Tucson Arizona for 3 nights. Against the backdrop of the beautiful Catalina Mountain Ranges walking around the property was most enjoyable. I participated in a number of the complimentary classes. I did Zumba, cardio circuit, walleyball, boxing and a beaming balance class. I was inspired to do classes that took me slightly out of my comfort zone because their is such a supportive energy at the Ranch.

I met a number of new friends from across North America. It was easy to connect as people were happy, full of exercise endorphins and wanting to meet others. There is a very loyal clientele that stays at the Ranch, some have been going every year for 20 years.

My favourite activities were the off property hikes. The guides were so knowledgeable of the land. And they do a great job of organizing people of different fitness to the right level of hike.

I look forward to going back soon!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Congratulations on stepping outside your comfort zone to try some new ways to enjoy being active. You often see guests joining together to experience a new class together, dine together or enjoy one of are many fabulous hikes as new found friends. The Catalina Mountains are spectacular and rise to over 9000 feet to provide our expert hiking guides year round destinations that are inspiring and breathtaking. It will be my pleasure to extend your compliments to the hiking department. Thank you for choosing Canyon Ranch and we look forward welcoming you back very soon. Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I can't say enough wonderful things about my experience at Canyon Ranch in Tuscon. I know a review isn't helpful when it just says everything was perfect, but that pretty much sums up my stay.

Canyon Ranch was exactly what I needed to restore and rejuvenate during a very stressful phase. Canyon Ranch offered the ideal environment of physical and mental health. The food is absolutely sensational; it's clean, healthy, and delicious (don't worry, there is plenty of it! you're not going hungry - just healthy. I recommend CR's "Nourish" the cookbook!). The service is truly out of this world - from getting picked up at the airport, to the attentive and accommodating wait staff, to the knowledgable spa staff, everyone is pleasant and helpful.

I recommend Tucson over Lennox if you like a more low-key environment (Lennox felt like upper east side manhattan transplanted). I was surprised at the medical expertise - if I had it to do again, I would have done a full medical physical. The professionals and facilities are state of the art. And don't underestimate the lectures - they were excellent! Golf instruction/pros are great (indoor facility to work on your swing and short game, with video analysis). One sports regret: I wish I had brought my tennis racket!

I went to CR for working out, weight-loss, and de-stressing. On the work-out front, the facilities are great and the training staff is absolutely wonderful - but if you're an intense athlete, advanced in yoga, etc. then the classes might seem a little light, but they are still very good. Just think along the lines of de-stressing and health vs. high-performance fitness. That said, I kept my day filled with classes and was absolutely exhausted each night!

Can't wait to go back next year - worth every penny.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Our main goal is to offer the most comprehensive and enjoyable health and wellness vacation available and I’m thrilled to hear that we exceed your expectations. Thank you for your fabulous review of our staff, food and activities and for recommending the Nourish cookbook. We hope our guests continue their healthy dining at home and Nourish features recipes for some of our guests’ favorite menu items. And I will happily pass your compliments to our board certified medical team and their wellness staff. Wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back in 2014.
Healthy regards,

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I've been returning to Canyon Ranch regularly and it always manages to achieve the highest standard. It's not only a wonderful spa/hotel, but it's an amazing wellness center that inspires a healthy life, physically and mentally. If you're looking for more than the run of the mill spa experience (which you could still do here) this is the best place I know of.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

On behalf of all of the staff at Canyon Ranch, I would like to thank you for your loyalty and support of our mission of providing the best vacation choice devoted to health and wellness. We wish you and your loved ones a healthy and happy New Year.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

After a 21 year hiatus, I revisited Canyon Ranch Tucson for my 60th Birthday gift from my husband, staying 11 nights- participating in LEC Weight Management Program Dec 6-18.
During the last 20 years I have ventured to other spas, Green Valley, Lake Austin, Ixtapa, Safety Harbor, etc and avoided Canyon Ranch, other than a brief 3 night stay in Lenox......due to sticker shock. After researching this time, I chose Canyon Ranch for a number of reasons - I have always wanted to come back, knew it had an exceptional LEC program (Life Enhancement Center) I love Tucson, love hiking, and it is simply a cut above most if not all of the other destination spas. The price they quote includes everything, taxes with an allowance for personal services, From the second I stepped off the plane at Tucson airport, every need was met. The services allowance was so generous that I had a tough time using it all because I didn't want to miss all the great classes.
The CR activities are endless and very appealing. One thing I always remembered about the ranch is that in each class there are 2 instructors, one teaching class and the other making sure you are properly aligned doing the exercises correctly.

CR is expensive but worth it. No request goes unnoticed, and each and every staff member accommodates whatever is needed.

My Bible for the stay was "This Week at Canyon Ranch" where I meticulously mapped out each day the night prior - there are so many choices and not enough time to do a fraction of it.

The food was amazing. What would be even greater for food sourcing- a greenhouse and gardens for local produce - like Cuisinart in Anguilla has on property. I attended the demo kitchen 3 times for lunch where Sean the Chef was informative and entertaining. Steve and Christy the exercise physiologists were amazing- both former marines. The neuro-muscular therapist Jack was incredible. My list goes on and on.
The Canyon Ranch hikes in Sabino Canyon and Pima Canyon were exhilarating and challenging.
The 7 am 2 mile loop morning walks led by local community walkers Steve, Bob, and others offered a great kickstart for the day.
I am already figuring out ways I will be able to return to Canyon Ranch next year... without hitting the lottery. A stay there is priceless.

Room Tip: My room was not in a good location, Room 122 was dark at night, in an old section, with Spartan lan...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank nanzim
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Happy Birthday and thank you for choosing to celebrate your 60th with us! We appreciate the time you have taken to share your recent experience and the Life Enhancement Program is a terrific way to get acquainted again with your wellness goals. It will be my pleasure to pass on your compliments to Chef Sean, physiologists Steve and Christy, as well as our walkers Steve and Bob. You have shared some great tips and insights for the readers here at TripAdvisor; and thank you for sharing some of your photos. We look forward to your return and until then, we wish you the happiest and healthiest New Year.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

My first trip to Canyon Ranch was in 1981, and yes, it was the ONLY Canyon Ranch then and is still considered the Grandaddy of them all!!
Since then, and with many, many subsequents visits, I have noticed continued improvement in all areas - classes, food, facilities, programs, choice of rooms. The Ranch continues to grow and improve and each visit brings new offerings.
I visit with my daughters, my husband, with friends and as an entire family - there is so much for everyone to do, even if they aren't into fitness per se. Tucson has grown along with the Ranch and it provides interesting excursions as well (the Ranch will even organize it for you).

Room Tip: On a previous visit I had written comments that the reading lamps were not adequate for those of us...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Peanut197106
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

We are beginning our 35th year here in Tucson and we never tire of hearing how a Canyon Ranch vacation can inspire our guests to live healthier and more active lives. Thank you for your continued enthusiasm for our world renown programs, staff and facilities. Thank you for taking the time to write and we wish you the happiest of New Years.
Healthy regards.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Way overpriced. Don't try to leave, they don't allow taxis. All inclusive, but don't try to eat at 5, they don't serve food then, or at 3 or 10 pm or 10 am, or 6 am, and don't count on anything but three ounce portions. If you like television, go elsewhere, there is basic tv but no more than that, no TV guide, and the printed channel list is incorrect/outdated. For the price, you would think they would type a new tv channel list one for your room, like motel 6 does, but they don't. The Internet is intermittent and does not support speed for anybody trying to do work, like email and video confrencing. A ride to the ATM, or for food, or beer will cost you $40, for a three mile ride. Oh, by the way there is no licensed beverages, so don't look forward to wine or beer and forget a drink by the pool ( there is no food or drink there at all)
The owners, the [---], have the most prestigous and discussing mansion right in the middle of the property, just to make you feel jealous so you might want to buy timeshare unit, which is really what this place is... A timeshare for rich people who want complete shelter from reality, and want to go to an old person retreat where everyone is complacent with getting ripped off. The ritz Carlton is half the price, with amenities you would expect and no pretentious employees. Oh, remember there is no cell phones or smoking, except down by the river off site, but there is tons of gas powered leaf blowers going before 8am. I have stayed all over the world in five star resorts, ant this one is barely worth three stars, and for $800 per night is simply a joke...stay elsewhere. Awful service. Horrible transportation, no food between meals, no drinks, and the attitude of the thousands of workers is obviously a result of the opulent prentionsion of the management. This is definitely an outdated property that will will only exist on time share suckers to keep it occupied over the next decade unless they change things rapidly.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
15  Thank 5StarTripsCheap

A visit to a Canyon Ranch destination resort is an immersive experience meant to provide our guests with the healthiest possible choices, so that they can experience how good healthy living makes them feel; this includes offering healthy gourmet cuisine, an assortment of daily wellness activities, pampering spa services and the opportunity to meet with a range of integrated health experts.
Due to the all-inclusive nature of our packages, many guests choose to stay on-property and participate in our many fitness classes, outdoor excursions and wellness workshops & private consultations. However, our guest services staff are happy to arrange for a town car or taxi to any destination in the Tucson area at the guests request. And like most dining venues, we have standard hours of operation. If our guests should require a meal or a snack during off-times, we have a robust menu of healthy to-go items including a Mediterranean turkey wrap, yogurt, hummus and mixed nuts, just to name a few. Refrigerators are also available in all rooms and guests can store snacks for their enjoyment at any time. Finally, while Canyon Ranch respects people’s decisions about whether to drink in moderation, in the spirit of offering an all-healthy environment where our guests can reflect on their current lifestyle choices, we do not serve alcohol on-property. And while we are a smoke-free environment, we do provide designated outdoor, non-public areas for those who need it.
We understand that a vacation with us is not the right fit for everyone and we appreciate both your review and the opportunity to educate you on some points you may not have known during your stay –
I welcome your call to further discuss any of your concerns.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

We expected superior food and a luxurious room at the prices charged here. Instead, we found a room that was smaller and less comfortable than an average chain hotel. In addition, the food was not what we had expected, much of it purchased frozen or canned.

The feel of Canyon Ranch is one of safety and security for those in an AA program. I think this is the attraction since no alcohol is served. Since that does not describe us, we found the environment to be more like that of a rehab facility than a grand and glorious resort. It even features AA meetings nightly. There is nothing wrong with that, it just should be made clear before people arrive. Many of the people in the classes were battling addiction.

The spa was full of excellent massage therapists and kept my rating from being poor. Each day we had treatments that were above and beyond the average spa's we have visited. While they could not compensate for the poor rooms and food, they at least made our time bearable.

Frankly, we felt cheated.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank maria_egypt_2010
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and positive notes on our talented spa staff and programs. We also appreciate the opportunity to respond to some of your comments – Canyon Ranch prides itself on providing healthy, gourmet cuisine featuring clean, fresh and wholesome foods that are seasonally grown, local and organic whenever possible. While we do occasionally use frozen or canned produce to create our dishes, these items are only incorporated when necessary, usually due to seasonality. All products must adhere to specific food purchasing standards that mandate the food is minimally processed, without additives, preservatives and artificial coloring, flavoring and sweeteners.
And while Canyon Ranch is not a rehabilitation, nor a “detox” facility in the literal sense of the word, we are a health resort that meets our guests’ needs wherever they are on their journey to wellness. Through our robust programs and caring staff of integrated health professionals, we assist our guests’ in reaching their personal healthy living goals. The ‘open recovery meeting’ that you referenced is offered as an open forum for guests to share their personal feelings and struggles with whatever issue may be keeping them from living a fulfilled and happy life. I invite you to contact me directly if you’d like to discuss your concerns in more detail.
Healthy regards,