“A Fabulous Vacation and Total Experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucson
Canyon Ranch in Tucson
Ranked #2 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I recently spent 4 days at The Canyon Ranch Resort & Spa in Tucson. I went with a group of ladies for a healthy vacation and ended up with so much more! From the time I booked my stay I was provided information on accomodations, activities, meals, and many things that should be booked in advance to enhance my stay. From the moment I arrived at the airport I was waited on hand and foot. Because of all the advance communications provided by Canyon Ranch staff, the only surprises I encountered were pleasant ones! Every staff member is extremely, knowledgable, helpful and friendly. The exercise classes were great and great fun too! The food was amazing and the property itself was peaceful, quiet and totally stress free! We all enjoyed ourselves so much that we have already booked for next year!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

We look forward to welcoming your group back again next year! Canyon Ranch has a generous menu of activities and our talented staff looks forward to helping you make the most of every opportunity the moment you arrive in Tucson. Thank you for sharing your experience -- starting with booking your healthy vacation and the "pre-stay communication". I will pass on your compliments to our management team and their staff. Be sure to keep in touch and enjoy the information we have available via Canyon Ranch Connection.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was my first time doing a solo spa vacation. When I check in they gave me room 124 which which faced a wall. I asked for a different room and they were happy to move me to a lovely room in the 700's. I think resort was at 70% occupancy so this was not a problem.

I took advantage of all the spa had to offer. Morning bike ride in the Canyon, hike around grounds, water color trip with local artist Jay, who was fabulous, made my trip. I also took numerous classes all day long. One of my favorite times of days was the lunch and learn demonstration with Shawn. Since I was traveling solo this was a great way to have lunch.
Mid day I would lounge at the T pool and take a water class. Great way to cool off and get fit.

In the spa I had a fabulous massage and facial. Both technicians fabulous and very professional. I also had a body scrub, technician seemed not to be in a very good mood.

I had all my meals in the Double U cafe. I like the choices and casual feel. I also loved sitting outside for dinner by the fire. I tried one meal in the main dining room and was not at all impressed. The restaurant has a low ceiling and looks like a Denny's. No outdoor seating and the lounge area looks like a cheap hotel. The Double U is updated and open. I will only go to Canyon Ranch when the weather is warm and I can sit outside.

One last suggestion, when you check in they give you a gray t-shirt. The shirt is an awful gray, looks like something you would wear if sent to prison. Saddest part is guest wear them around resort and look awful. If you notice the brouchure no one is wearing these awful t-shirts. PLEASE get basic white or black t-shirts.

Room Tip: Room 124 not very nice it faces a wall when you walk out.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Arlington30
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for choosing Canyon in Tucson for your first solo vacation. I am delighted you took advantage of many different types of activities, including the popular Water Color Hike with Jay. Chef Shawn will be pleased he has you as a new fan of Lunch and Learn. The Double U Cafe has expanded its offerings recently to great applause and I will make sure to pass on your compliments to our chef and his team. We are pleased to offer the main clubhouse dining room , the Double U Café and the Lunch and Learn series to our all our guests daily so they might have choices to tailor their dining experiences to their individual schedules each day. Some guests do prefer the more formal dining and service, however others enjoy the casual relaxed environment of the outdoor patios of the Double U Café. The Spa will appreciate your compliments on the their service and apologizes for not meeting your expectations on your body scrub. Thank you for your thoughtful comments and we hope when you travel solo or with friends again, you will chose Canyon Ranch for your health and wellness vacation.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I have just returned from 5 days at the ranch. This is my 6th trip here, and it did not disappoint. The food is excellent with many different choices at each meal, including vegetarian options. You can eat in the dining room or outside at the Double U cafe.

Workouts are fun and can be tailored to all different levels of fitness, either in the gym or by taking classes. My favorite class is World Beat which is a dance class to live drumming, co-taught by Judy. She makes the class entertaining and it is so enjoyable, it doesn't feel like work.

The spa treatments are world class and my all time favorite is the canyon ranch hot stone massage, this year my massage therapist was Kit and she is truly a wonderful therapist. I look forward to this vacation with a group of my friends every year.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank jeanne s
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

It will be my pleasure to pass on your compliments on your hot stone massage with therapist, Kit. Our superb massage staff, experts in techniques ranging from Ashiatsu to Reflexology, look forward to giving a massage that satisfies your health or relaxation expectations. Judy will be pleased to hear you enjoyed the drum and dance class, many are surprised at the joy and fitness workout they can achieve while having so much fun. Thank you for taking the time to share your latest experience with us and we look forward to seeing you and your friends again next year.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

the best vacation possible. the place is gorgeous- there are about one hundred daily classes in e verything rope climbing to pilates. all calsses and services are included inyour fee. lots of massages, facials etc all in the fe. the food is marvelous-not diet unless you wish. our rooms have always been gorgeous- the environement is peaceful- no cell phones smoking no alcohol. this is the g reatest place i keep coming backto and all in all it is reasonably priced. so mucu is included

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Eunice M
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thank you for taking a moment to tell the readers of TripAdvisor your fondness for our all-inclusive vacation. A Canyon Ranch health resort stay is truly all-inclusive as you say – with accommodations, all meals, a generous menu of activities and classes daily, complimentary use of facilities which includes our many fitness and relaxation areas and a generous allowance for services. Our guests also are provided a personal program coordinator to help them achieve their vacation goals and activity choices to make the most of their stay. We truly appreciate your endorsement and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Our first trip, my husband and I made to Tucson and Canyon Ranch was in 1989. Since that time, I've visited alone, with friends, and many other times with my husband. We absolutely love it, and it's our choice over all other destinations, whether nationally or internationally. Recently, my husband told me that for our anniversary, he would plan a trip to Italy, or Paris, and perhaps another exotic sounding destination. Or would l prefer another longer trip for the two of us to
Tucson in celebration of our anniversary. It took little thought for me to decide,
of course it was the spa. Just think of it, travel is short for us, food is fabulous, all types of exercise readily available - all day long, amazing treatments at any time, beautiful outdoor walks, unmatched facilities, really-why have any hesitation?
What an easy choice, everything is there and there is no jet lag, no unhealthy food, and no poor choices. And you will meet some of the most interesting people ever!
I could say lots more, but probably most telling of my love for Canyon Ranch is my repeated trips over the years - well over 35 visits, and still more to come!

Barbara Singer

Room Tip: I've stayed in many rooms at Canyon Ranch, there is a strong appeal for many of them.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Congratulations on your anniversary! It is a privilege to be your vacation of choice. Until we have the pleasure of welcoming you back, thank you for your kind words and have a wonderful fall and holiday season.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having just returned from my second visit to Canyon Ranch I struggle to convey the essence of the Ranch, what makes it so unique and incredibly special! There are certainly excellent destination spas that will get higher marks for scenic beauty - been there. There are wellness spas that are more luxurious - done that. So why the repeat visit to Canyon Ranch?

Though I thoroughly enjoyed my first stay "just for fun" my husband and I this time were both dealing with medical conditions that traditional medicine could not resolve. Figured Canyon Ranch might be able to offer additional routes toward healing, but wanted to first look at what other options were available. After exhaustive research, I was surprised that Canyon Ranch turned out to be the only "wellness spa" I could find offering an actual medical department staffed by board certified MD's working in harmony with practitioners from other branches of the healing arts.

My husband knew that to avoid surgery he needed to make changes, but as we all know, that can be easier said than done. So while Canyon Ranch may have competition in the "luxury" and "scenic" categories,I don't think there is ANY other organization in the United States that can hold a candle to them as catalysts for gentle yet profound introspection, inspiration and transformation. We were both impressed at their ability to meet us where we were at - setting high, yet realistically attainable goals, providing workable strategies for success.

I don't want to paint an inaccurate picture - Canyon Ranch can certainly be considered both scenic and luxurious - just perhaps not at the very top of the heap. Where they do in my opinion rise to lofty heights above the rest is SERVICE and SERVICES. The incredible Staff and their Programs are the heart and soul of Canyon Ranch - indeed, they ARE Canyon Ranch! The staff/guess ratio is impressive, and while there are certainly many fee-based add-ons from which to choose, I didn't spend an extra dime on our first trip, and still had way too many interesting options for hikes, fitness classes, crafts, lectures, etc. Massages this trip ranged from very good to best ever!

One of my favorite pastimes while at the Ranch is to ask workers how long they have been on staff; many have been there for over a decade or even two - quite rare in this era. One Spa Staffer this trip told me she had been there since they opened thirty years ago - wow! And of all the staff I dealt with, only one teen driving a golf cart shuttle seemed harried and less than fully attentive and caring...one out of the multitude...impressive!

To recap, if you are merely seeking a relaxing spa vacation, there are probably places closer to home that will suit your fancy. If however, you are even mildly interested in revitalizing, reinventing or rejuvenating body or soul, I heartily recommend you experience that which is Canyon Ranch.

Perhaps what intrigues and impresses me most about the Ranch is that they have been in business for thirty years, yet they have not lost sight of their mission. The desire to help others toward healthier happier lives was evident throughout our stay - bravo, Canyon Ranch!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

We cannot expect to hear a better compliment than one that expresses that our service, and the activities we offer, exceed your expectations not once but again upon your return. Our mission is to inspire our guests to live a healthy life, and as we come upon our 35th anniversary in 2014, that mission is still central to everything we do. Please keep in touch and thank you for your terrific review.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

If you are looking for a health and wellbeing resort then look no further. This place is truly wonderful. It's ethos is one of integrative medicine - holistically looking at the whole person - physically, emotionally, spiritually and nutritionally.

Every lecture I attended and every class I participated in was first class. The level of expertise, kindness and support is extraordinary. You can fill every hour of every day if you want to - in fact it's tempting to over schedule and not take some time out to simply sit by the pool and relax.

The resort itself is in the Sonoran Desert so for me, coming from England, this extraordinary landscape was fascinating. The heat felt healing, never oppressive, and the wonderful storms that often lit up the afternoon sky were amazing. If you believe in healing energy from the environment then you will find it here.

The rooms are large and extremely comfortable. The food is delicious and plentiful with every calorie and gram of protein, fat and carbohydrate counted for you. It's all organic and so delicious - and best of all it's good for you!

I learned a great deal about health and fitness - attending lectures on everything from heart disease to improving sleep. I am really trying to use this information and keep up the good work I started now I'm home. If you want to read my blog of my stay go to maxinedorcas.com on Wordpress and you can find it.

I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you for your thoughtful review and for the detailed recap of your vacation on your personal blog. Your posts are a great representation of just how adventurous and enlightening a vacation at Canyon Ranch Tucson can be. I’m delighted we could provide you with so many healthy take-home strategies and encourage you to continue practicing your new found healthy habits. We look forward to welcoming you back!