“Sanctuary” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Nashville, Tennessee
“Sanctuary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Canyon Ranch is my go to place where I let everything go, I find myself again. No matter if its the Life Enhancement Center or a special week there is something for everyone. Or if you just want to chill, do your own thing and relax and refresh your mind and senses, this is the place. I have lost count on how many times I have visited but it is sanctuary from the outside world. Ill be back in May 2013! Life Enhancement Center, 2nd time! To be renewed and refreshed and boost the outlook on life! Doing it better and smarter living well!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Travelerrest
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
We look forward to welcoming you back this coming May. The Life Enhancement Center staff looks forward to supporting whatever health focus you have in mind for your second visit. Thank you for your support and fine words about the revitalizing benefits of a Canyon Ranch vacation both resort side and the 7 night Life Enhancement Center experience.
Kyle Treat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Service is unparalleled. I am very well traveled and have stayed in many places. Their business mission is very clear. Everyone was exceptional from specialty areas such as medical, spa, and metaphysical to the people at the front desk (great), housekeeping, maintenance, and the dining room wait staff. The food is excellent and highly nutritious - it was a pleasure to eat "real food" and not the typical corporate manufactured fare. You will have a wonderful experience if you are seeking renewal and inspiration. I cannot believe anyone would write something negative about Canyon Ranch, although, if you are looking for a "party" place, this would not be the place to go.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Irene L
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you Irene for your very important suggestion to consider the type of vacation you want to experience. If renewal and inspiration, as you say, are key components, we are definitely the place. Our staff can assist those beginning their journey into better health and fitness to make enlightening and enjoyable changes in their lives; or they can challenge the accomplished athlete wanting to add something new to their fitness regimen. If relaxation and pampering is the goal, our highly trained staff look forward to sharing with you with the latest techniques in stress reduction activities and personal services. I will, with pleasure, also pass on your compliments to the chef. Thank you for your support and we hope to see you back again very soon.
Healthy regards,
Amherst, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Totally drained and exhausted from wrapping up a 33 year career in the financial industry, I spent 10 fabulous days at CR in Tucson recharging my batteries. I ended up feeling refreshed, renewed and rejuvenated! I got more out of it than I expected to and loved the combination of a wide variety of exercise classes, yoga, informative lectures, fabulous food, water aerobics, golf lessons, hikes, morning sunrise walks, cooking demonstrations, massages at the end of the day, appointments with a doctor to deal with a sleep disorder and so much more! I even had time to stop and smell...the cactus?!? (Fascinating intro to local, desert vegetation). Great artwork and sculptures throughout the property...ended up buying some artwork while there. This was a trip that fed mind, body and spirit. I went alone and never felt lonely. I will definitely go back again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Nancy P
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Congratulations on your retirement Nancy and more importantly taking some time to focus on you. We think a Canyon Ranch vacation as a retirement gift is a wonderful idea, it is a gift you can give yourself anytime. It is rewarding to all of us here at Canyon Ranch to know you took advantage of so many of the activities and wellness opportunities. You also took moments to relax and enjoy the desert – the high desert in Tucson is amazingly fragrant and beautiful. Thank you for sharing your experience and enjoy the rewards of your retirement now that you have recharged and feel refreshed. We look forward to you returning very soon.
Ontario Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have been to canyon ranch 4 times and every trip is a learning experience the moment you are picked up at the airport you are enveloped in bliss.The food amazing!! Healthy tasty and really the portions are correct if you pay attention to how full you are. The chocolate bananas at the double u restaurant are the best!!!
The spa services are second to none try the Watusu water massage here. CR built a special building for it , truly you feel like you are floating in space.thank you Darcy. The spa attendants are all awesome I have never had a bad experience. Shane for ashiastsu massage was especially good.
The grounds are so well kept and the atmosphere here is one of peace and pure bliss. The classes are always changing the gym fabulous and the pool even has an underwater treadmill.Yes it's pricey but for a wellness retreat worth it .you can even have a full medical work up done here! canyon Ranch in my opinion will always be a premier spa not just for exercise and pampering but for preventative and long term wellness. Great job to all of the staff thank you for a great stay

Room Tip: All the All rooms are great if you have mobility issues ask for a room close to the clubhouse...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank joanne777
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
We are delighted to hear Canyon Ranch is your go-to choice for more than just a vacation! Darcy and Shane are talented specialty massage therapists and they will be happy to hear you have honored them with mentions on TripAdvisor. A Canyon Ranch visit enables you to truly look at living a healthier lifestyle and we give you all the tools you need to achieve your goals. Our medical facility is second to none, where guests don’t maneuver through busy doctors, short appointments, long waits or impersonal results; you can work with our many practitioners who can teach our guests how to find solutions for optimal health. Thank you for describing, so wonderfully, your blissful, active, fun, informative and healthy vacation.
Healthy regards,
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is my second time at the ranch and every bit as wonderful as the first. My Thai massage therapist Ed called it a fitness Disneyland and it is that and more. The hardest thing about going there is choosing what to do with your day. There are fitness classes to please anyone; whether you like aerobics, Yoga, circuits, tennis, hiking or cycling. The variety is intense and actually overwhelming. I love working out and many times I have had to choose between some of my favorites. There are 9 gyms that truly keep you moving.

There is so much to offer covering the whole person as well. You can see doctors, nutritionists, psychics, astrologists and others I can't even begin to list. Most of the services are wonderful and the food is not only healthy but delicious. They have a demo kitchen so you can "lunch and Learn" and I have picked up a few tips and recipes. I understand you can get these recipes online, but I haven't found them yet.

The setting is relaxing, quiet and rejuvenating. Coming from Chicago I particularly enjoy the clean air, clear sky and the mountain range int eh background.

The negative is the cost. This place isn't cheap by any means. Costs turn out to be around $1,000+ per day for a double, but includes all your food, tips and use of the facility. Food portions are small (due to their health consciousness), but you can order as much as you'd like and you truly never go hungry. And relating to the price, when you are here there are enough employees to cater to your every whim.

The only other thing that I wish could be better is helping the visitor better know the breadth of offerings so you can get your arms around what you can do before you get there. Once you get on property, if you want to explore something you didn't think about before you arrive, it is difficult to schedule.

Suggestions: 1) really understand your goals before arriving. 2) schedule your services with with an advisor before you come in. 3) talk to a nurse educator on the phone before arriving and share your goals to see her/his recommendations and make appointments before you get here.

Overall, great place and there is no doubt, I will return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank laura1955
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Laura, we appreciate you sharing your first time guest experience and thoughtful planning tips. Pointing out a stay with us starts well before you arrive, by investigating what your vacation goals are with your personal program advisor is a priceless tip. Our staff strive to make this the ultimate vacation for our guests. Thank you for mentioning our wonderful nursing staff who assist our guests in finding support, when needed, at our Health and Healing Center. Our guests appreciate the all-inclusive spa resort, where you never need to wait for a check or worry about tipping. Please contact us so we may assist you in locating our delicious Lunch & Learn and many other Canyon Ranch recipes online. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Very disappointed in my "spa day" at Canyon Ranch. Perhaps my disappointment is more acute because of my high expectations. This is basically a very expensive gym. I suppose a good portion of the cost is due to the staffing, it is extremely well staffed. I was hoping for a quiet relaxing nurturing day. The women's area has 1 steam room which is full with 4 women laying on the benches. The 2 very standard whirlpools are supposed to be a quiet area and is adjacent to the relaxation room. In spite of the 2 very nice attendants, neither asked the very loud women who carried on a loud conversation with laughing for about an hour to be quiet. There is a sauna and an inhalation room which is a eucalyptus scented steam room which would occupy about 6 sitting or 2 laying on the benches. The relaxation room has 10 chairs with ottomans, no windows or view, and is noisy. Everything is dated and a little worn at the edges. I attempted one fitness class which was in a studio type room with a glass wall overlooking a small garden type area. Sadly, even that was disappointing as it was no different than going to my local gym with blaring music and our backs to the view. I was aware there was a strong fitness aspect, I had hoped it would be balanced with peacefulness.

Stayed February 2013
3 Thank covewomyn
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate to hear that you were underwhelmed with your experience. A spa-day enables one to experience a small taste of what Canyon Ranch offers its overnight guests who stay with us, on average, four nights. In addition to the fitness offerings, we hope you were able to enjoy a deliciously healthful lunch as well as a spa service, both of which were included in your day. Please consider a longer stay in the future, we would love to share with you what a true health and wellness vacation can be.
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

OMG! This place is fabulous! Wonderful facilities, amazing service, fabulous food that is healthy AND delicious - it couldn't have been better. We did personal training with Mike Seimans who was so kind and personable that we never even realized we were being pushed to do more than we thought we could. I had an amazing massage with Tina and we both had the most wonderful facials with Renee who then spent a lot of time with us explaining about care of our skin and what products we should use.

In the spa, Cynthia greeted us with her great smile and she took great care of us. And speaking of the spa - we spent a lot of time hanging out there. It was incredibly clean and peaceful.

The talks were very, very helpful especially the ones with Dr. Param - every day I think about what he told us - especially his talk on sleep - what he said changed our lives for the better.

I can't say enough good things about the Ranch. We loved this place so much that we're headed back in two weeks.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank canyonwolves
Thank you for your fabulous review. Canyon Ranch is a vacation experience we want you to be able to take with home with you, not just a momentary treat while you’re here in Tucson. You may take home the better sleep techniques, new fitness skills, a wonderful skin care regimen or a new healthy gourmet recipes you can make at home. I look forward to sharing your compliments about our staff and letting them know you will be back very soon. That will be a treat for us!