“Always something new to learn”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucson
Canyon Ranch in Tucson
Ranked #1 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have been to canyon ranch 4 times and every trip is a learning experience the moment you are picked up at the airport you are enveloped in bliss.The food amazing!! Healthy tasty and really the portions are correct if you pay attention to how full you are. The chocolate bananas at the double u restaurant are the best!!!
The spa services are second to none try the Watusu water massage here. CR built a special building for it , truly you feel like you are floating in space.thank you Darcy. The spa attendants are all awesome I have never had a bad experience. Shane for ashiastsu massage was especially good.
The grounds are so well kept and the atmosphere here is one of peace and pure bliss. The classes are always changing the gym fabulous and the pool even has an underwater treadmill.Yes it's pricey but for a wellness retreat worth it .you can even have a full medical work up done here! canyon Ranch in my opinion will always be a premier spa not just for exercise and pampering but for preventative and long term wellness. Great job to all of the staff thank you for a great stay

Room Tip: All the All rooms are great if you have mobility issues ask for a room close to the clubhouse...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank joanne777
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

We are delighted to hear Canyon Ranch is your go-to choice for more than just a vacation! Darcy and Shane are talented specialty massage therapists and they will be happy to hear you have honored them with mentions on TripAdvisor. A Canyon Ranch visit enables you to truly look at living a healthier lifestyle and we give you all the tools you need to achieve your goals. Our medical facility is second to none, where guests don’t maneuver through busy doctors, short appointments, long waits or impersonal results; you can work with our many practitioners who can teach our guests how to find solutions for optimal health. Thank you for describing, so wonderfully, your blissful, active, fun, informative and healthy vacation.
Healthy regards,

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is my second time at the ranch and every bit as wonderful as the first. My Thai massage therapist Ed called it a fitness Disneyland and it is that and more. The hardest thing about going there is choosing what to do with your day. There are fitness classes to please anyone; whether you like aerobics, Yoga, circuits, tennis, hiking or cycling. The variety is intense and actually overwhelming. I love working out and many times I have had to choose between some of my favorites. There are 9 gyms that truly keep you moving.

There is so much to offer covering the whole person as well. You can see doctors, nutritionists, psychics, astrologists and others I can't even begin to list. Most of the services are wonderful and the food is not only healthy but delicious. They have a demo kitchen so you can "lunch and Learn" and I have picked up a few tips and recipes. I understand you can get these recipes online, but I haven't found them yet.

The setting is relaxing, quiet and rejuvenating. Coming from Chicago I particularly enjoy the clean air, clear sky and the mountain range int eh background.

The negative is the cost. This place isn't cheap by any means. Costs turn out to be around $1,000+ per day for a double, but includes all your food, tips and use of the facility. Food portions are small (due to their health consciousness), but you can order as much as you'd like and you truly never go hungry. And relating to the price, when you are here there are enough employees to cater to your every whim.

The only other thing that I wish could be better is helping the visitor better know the breadth of offerings so you can get your arms around what you can do before you get there. Once you get on property, if you want to explore something you didn't think about before you arrive, it is difficult to schedule.

Suggestions: 1) really understand your goals before arriving. 2) schedule your services with with an advisor before you come in. 3) talk to a nurse educator on the phone before arriving and share your goals to see her/his recommendations and make appointments before you get here.

Overall, great place and there is no doubt, I will return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank laura1955
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Laura, we appreciate you sharing your first time guest experience and thoughtful planning tips. Pointing out a stay with us starts well before you arrive, by investigating what your vacation goals are with your personal program advisor is a priceless tip. Our staff strive to make this the ultimate vacation for our guests. Thank you for mentioning our wonderful nursing staff who assist our guests in finding support, when needed, at our Health and Healing Center. Our guests appreciate the all-inclusive spa resort, where you never need to wait for a check or worry about tipping. Please contact us so we may assist you in locating our delicious Lunch & Learn and many other Canyon Ranch recipes online. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Very disappointed in my "spa day" at Canyon Ranch. Perhaps my disappointment is more acute because of my high expectations. This is basically a very expensive gym. I suppose a good portion of the cost is due to the staffing, it is extremely well staffed. I was hoping for a quiet relaxing nurturing day. The women's area has 1 steam room which is full with 4 women laying on the benches. The 2 very standard whirlpools are supposed to be a quiet area and is adjacent to the relaxation room. In spite of the 2 very nice attendants, neither asked the very loud women who carried on a loud conversation with laughing for about an hour to be quiet. There is a sauna and an inhalation room which is a eucalyptus scented steam room which would occupy about 6 sitting or 2 laying on the benches. The relaxation room has 10 chairs with ottomans, no windows or view, and is noisy. Everything is dated and a little worn at the edges. I attempted one fitness class which was in a studio type room with a glass wall overlooking a small garden type area. Sadly, even that was disappointing as it was no different than going to my local gym with blaring music and our backs to the view. I was aware there was a strong fitness aspect, I had hoped it would be balanced with peacefulness.

Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank covewomyn
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate to hear that you were underwhelmed with your experience. A spa-day enables one to experience a small taste of what Canyon Ranch offers its overnight guests who stay with us, on average, four nights. In addition to the fitness offerings, we hope you were able to enjoy a deliciously healthful lunch as well as a spa service, both of which were included in your day. Please consider a longer stay in the future, we would love to share with you what a true health and wellness vacation can be.

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

OMG! This place is fabulous! Wonderful facilities, amazing service, fabulous food that is healthy AND delicious - it couldn't have been better. We did personal training with Mike Seimans who was so kind and personable that we never even realized we were being pushed to do more than we thought we could. I had an amazing massage with Tina and we both had the most wonderful facials with Renee who then spent a lot of time with us explaining about care of our skin and what products we should use.

In the spa, Cynthia greeted us with her great smile and she took great care of us. And speaking of the spa - we spent a lot of time hanging out there. It was incredibly clean and peaceful.

The talks were very, very helpful especially the ones with Dr. Param - every day I think about what he told us - especially his talk on sleep - what he said changed our lives for the better.

I can't say enough good things about the Ranch. We loved this place so much that we're headed back in two weeks.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank canyonwolves

Thank you for your fabulous review. Canyon Ranch is a vacation experience we want you to be able to take with home with you, not just a momentary treat while you’re here in Tucson. You may take home the better sleep techniques, new fitness skills, a wonderful skin care regimen or a new healthy gourmet recipes you can make at home. I look forward to sharing your compliments about our staff and letting them know you will be back very soon. That will be a treat for us!

Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I had a wonderful and relaxing time at Canyon Ranch. I was a guest of a homeowner and I did not stay in a guest room so my experience may be slightly different than most.
I participated in classes ranging from spin to yoga to dance. I attended 3 lectures, ate in the cafe and dining room and enjoyed a spa service.
I found that the quality of instruction in some of the classes was mediocre - not motivational or informative. Others were great though (I LOVED the Worldbeat class - a dance class with live drummers! And I'm not a dancer).
Regarding the lectures - the topics and speakers were very good. I think they missed hitting the right note in terms of content some of the time though.
The food was good. It was tasty, fresh and healthy. Fresh fruit and juices were available anytime. I would have liked to see other snacks like granola bars or cheese/crackers too.
The spa area was great. Hot tubs, steam room, sauna, relaxation room...all very clean.
The staff was ALWAYS friendly, helpful and abundant. The other guests were also very friendly.
The demographic was older than I expected, at 40 I was among the youngest. The facility overall felt a little dated and in need of updating. I think if rates were closer to $400/night it would be more appropriate for what they offer. For $1,000/night I would expect something much more 'exclusive'.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank ComingFromCanada
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

I extend my thanks to your host and Canyon Ranch homeowner for sharing the Canyon Ranch facilities and amenities with you during your stay in Tucson. Our staff is one of our most treasured resources -- we thank you for the compliments and for sharing your overall experience with the TripAdvisor audience.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have come to Canyon Ranch three times, in 1989, 2002, and now 2013. Every time I am reminded why I come back. I have never experienced a place that combines a beautiful setting, terrific staff and facilities, amazing healthy food, and great health, fitness, and spa activities like this has. It truly is the best place to go to get back in touch with yourself, and to figure out how to transform yourself into the person you want to be.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Canyon Ranch once again when you needed a vacation that helps you truly relax and take the necessary time you need to look at how you can live a healthy, happier life. After a number of years, you experienced some new facilities, activities, rejuvenating services and the unforgettable cuisine. Please stay in touch and on behalf of all our talented staff, thank you for sharing your experience.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I had heard of Canyon Ranch but never visited. When a friend suggested I join her at the last minute I decided to go. This was her fifth visit. I was coming off the most stressful year of my life, losing both parents three months apart. I was feeling depressed, lethargic, stressed and in real need of a break. While the cost is high, I felt it was the perfect time for me to concentrate on getting myself into a better place mentally and physically.

Our driver that picked us up from the airport was really friendly and gave us a quick background of the Ranch and the surrounding area. The Ranch property is beautiful, with gorgeous desert type scenery surrounding it. The rooms are like little casitas scattered around the property. Our casita had two other rooms connected to it. The interior was beautifully decorated; beds were really comfortable.

The range of available activities every day is staggering. I did so many different type classes - pilates, spinning, stretch, yoga, kettlebell. I did a 7 a.m. 4.5-mile hike into the nearby Saguaro National Park with two CR guides. I checked out a bike and rode around the property.
The fitness choices are endless, at all levels.

I spent many happy hours in the beautiful spa area, in the jacuzzi, cold plunge, sauna, steam room, inhalation room. I had a lovely facial, an incredible "body ritual" that included a body scrub, mineral bath, massage. Heavenly.

The food is super healthy - low salt, low fat, low cal - but absolutely delicious. There is a main dining room and a very cute cafe next to one of the pools. No alcohol, but I was so swept up into the healthy living vibe of the place that I really didn't miss it.

I took a jewelry-making class and made a gorgeous necklace. I attended two great lectures, on sleep and overall healthy living.

The people that work here are amazing - positive, helpful, friendly. It's just a vibrant, energetic atmosphere all the way around.

The grounds and facilities are impeccably maintained. The locker room area and spa area is spotless. Everywhere you turn are fresh, crisp white towels hanging on hooks, ready for you. There are beautiful water/fresh juice stations throughout the property, encouraging you to drink tons of water.

So whether you're looking for simply a pampering, relaxing, rejuvenating vacation or need to focus on more serious health/lifestyle issues, Canyon Ranch is a world-class place to do it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathy F
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Here at Canyon Ranch our first time guests occupy a very special place in our heart. Our remarkable staff is rewarded each time a guest expresses their personal enthusiasm for what a true health and wellness vacation can be. Not only do we want to thank you for your much appreciated wonderful review, we would like to thank your friend for inviting you to join her on the vacation you much needed at the time. Next visit, we hope you enjoy another of our fabulous hikes and enjoy discovering even more of the delicious healthy cuisine offered by our chefs. We look forward to seeing you both again very soon.
Kyle Treat.