“Very average spa”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucson
Canyon Ranch in Tucson
Ranked #2 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Rhode Island
“Very average spa”
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Very disappointed in my "spa day" at Canyon Ranch. Perhaps my disappointment is more acute because of my high expectations. This is basically a very expensive gym. I suppose a good portion of the cost is due to the staffing, it is extremely well staffed. I was hoping for a quiet relaxing nurturing day. The women's area has 1 steam room which is full with 4 women laying on the benches. The 2 very standard whirlpools are supposed to be a quiet area and is adjacent to the relaxation room. In spite of the 2 very nice attendants, neither asked the very loud women who carried on a loud conversation with laughing for about an hour to be quiet. There is a sauna and an inhalation room which is a eucalyptus scented steam room which would occupy about 6 sitting or 2 laying on the benches. The relaxation room has 10 chairs with ottomans, no windows or view, and is noisy. Everything is dated and a little worn at the edges. I attempted one fitness class which was in a studio type room with a glass wall overlooking a small garden type area. Sadly, even that was disappointing as it was no different than going to my local gym with blaring music and our backs to the view. I was aware there was a strong fitness aspect, I had hoped it would be balanced with peacefulness.

Stayed February 2013
3 Thank covewomyn
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate to hear that you were underwhelmed with your experience. A spa-day enables one to experience a small taste of what Canyon Ranch offers its overnight guests who stay with us, on average, four nights. In addition to the fitness offerings, we hope you were able to enjoy a deliciously healthful lunch as well as a spa service, both of which were included in your day. Please consider a longer stay in the future, we would love to share with you what a true health and wellness vacation can be.
Kyle Treat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
boston
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

OMG! This place is fabulous! Wonderful facilities, amazing service, fabulous food that is healthy AND delicious - it couldn't have been better. We did personal training with Mike Seimans who was so kind and personable that we never even realized we were being pushed to do more than we thought we could. I had an amazing massage with Tina and we both had the most wonderful facials with Renee who then spent a lot of time with us explaining about care of our skin and what products we should use.

In the spa, Cynthia greeted us with her great smile and she took great care of us. And speaking of the spa - we spent a lot of time hanging out there. It was incredibly clean and peaceful.

The talks were very, very helpful especially the ones with Dr. Param - every day I think about what he told us - especially his talk on sleep - what he said changed our lives for the better.

I can't say enough good things about the Ranch. We loved this place so much that we're headed back in two weeks.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank canyonwolves
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your fabulous review. Canyon Ranch is a vacation experience we want you to be able to take with home with you, not just a momentary treat while you’re here in Tucson. You may take home the better sleep techniques, new fitness skills, a wonderful skin care regimen or a new healthy gourmet recipes you can make at home. I look forward to sharing your compliments about our staff and letting them know you will be back very soon. That will be a treat for us!
Toronto
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I had a wonderful and relaxing time at Canyon Ranch. I was a guest of a homeowner and I did not stay in a guest room so my experience may be slightly different than most.
I participated in classes ranging from spin to yoga to dance. I attended 3 lectures, ate in the cafe and dining room and enjoyed a spa service.
I found that the quality of instruction in some of the classes was mediocre - not motivational or informative. Others were great though (I LOVED the Worldbeat class - a dance class with live drummers! And I'm not a dancer).
Regarding the lectures - the topics and speakers were very good. I think they missed hitting the right note in terms of content some of the time though.
The food was good. It was tasty, fresh and healthy. Fresh fruit and juices were available anytime. I would have liked to see other snacks like granola bars or cheese/crackers too.
The spa area was great. Hot tubs, steam room, sauna, relaxation room...all very clean.
The staff was ALWAYS friendly, helpful and abundant. The other guests were also very friendly.
The demographic was older than I expected, at 40 I was among the youngest. The facility overall felt a little dated and in need of updating. I think if rates were closer to $400/night it would be more appropriate for what they offer. For $1,000/night I would expect something much more 'exclusive'.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank ComingFromCanada
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
I extend my thanks to your host and Canyon Ranch homeowner for sharing the Canyon Ranch facilities and amenities with you during your stay in Tucson. Our staff is one of our most treasured resources -- we thank you for the compliments and for sharing your overall experience with the TripAdvisor audience.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have come to Canyon Ranch three times, in 1989, 2002, and now 2013. Every time I am reminded why I come back. I have never experienced a place that combines a beautiful setting, terrific staff and facilities, amazing healthy food, and great health, fitness, and spa activities like this has. It truly is the best place to go to get back in touch with yourself, and to figure out how to transform yourself into the person you want to be.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Canyon Ranch once again when you needed a vacation that helps you truly relax and take the necessary time you need to look at how you can live a healthy, happier life. After a number of years, you experienced some new facilities, activities, rejuvenating services and the unforgettable cuisine. Please stay in touch and on behalf of all our talented staff, thank you for sharing your experience.
San Jose, California, Usa
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I had heard of Canyon Ranch but never visited. When a friend suggested I join her at the last minute I decided to go. This was her fifth visit. I was coming off the most stressful year of my life, losing both parents three months apart. I was feeling depressed, lethargic, stressed and in real need of a break. While the cost is high, I felt it was the perfect time for me to concentrate on getting myself into a better place mentally and physically.

Our driver that picked us up from the airport was really friendly and gave us a quick background of the Ranch and the surrounding area. The Ranch property is beautiful, with gorgeous desert type scenery surrounding it. The rooms are like little casitas scattered around the property. Our casita had two other rooms connected to it. The interior was beautifully decorated; beds were really comfortable.

The range of available activities every day is staggering. I did so many different type classes - pilates, spinning, stretch, yoga, kettlebell. I did a 7 a.m. 4.5-mile hike into the nearby Saguaro National Park with two CR guides. I checked out a bike and rode around the property.
The fitness choices are endless, at all levels.

I spent many happy hours in the beautiful spa area, in the jacuzzi, cold plunge, sauna, steam room, inhalation room. I had a lovely facial, an incredible "body ritual" that included a body scrub, mineral bath, massage. Heavenly.

The food is super healthy - low salt, low fat, low cal - but absolutely delicious. There is a main dining room and a very cute cafe next to one of the pools. No alcohol, but I was so swept up into the healthy living vibe of the place that I really didn't miss it.

I took a jewelry-making class and made a gorgeous necklace. I attended two great lectures, on sleep and overall healthy living.

The people that work here are amazing - positive, helpful, friendly. It's just a vibrant, energetic atmosphere all the way around.

The grounds and facilities are impeccably maintained. The locker room area and spa area is spotless. Everywhere you turn are fresh, crisp white towels hanging on hooks, ready for you. There are beautiful water/fresh juice stations throughout the property, encouraging you to drink tons of water.

So whether you're looking for simply a pampering, relaxing, rejuvenating vacation or need to focus on more serious health/lifestyle issues, Canyon Ranch is a world-class place to do it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kathy F
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Here at Canyon Ranch our first time guests occupy a very special place in our heart. Our remarkable staff is rewarded each time a guest expresses their personal enthusiasm for what a true health and wellness vacation can be. Not only do we want to thank you for your much appreciated wonderful review, we would like to thank your friend for inviting you to join her on the vacation you much needed at the time. Next visit, we hope you enjoy another of our fabulous hikes and enjoy discovering even more of the delicious healthy cuisine offered by our chefs. We look forward to seeing you both again very soon.
Kyle Treat.
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We turned our cell phones off for our entire stay just what the doctor ordered. What a beauitful
place tucked away the grounds the lobby the rooms all superb. The staff is very gracious the seminars we went to were well worth the money. The food the spa also outstanding we never had to ask for anything and if we did it was brought to our room in minutes great service and the staff met our expectations and then some.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Our guests truly appreciate that we encourage a cell phone-free zone with use preferred in room or on your patio. As you experienced, it allows all our guests to focus on their health, wellness and true relaxation. Our groundkeepers will appreciate your compliments of the grounds. They create a breathtaking environment here, highlighting all the beauty and unique vegetation the high desert in Tucson has to offer. On behalf of all the staff, I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.
Kyle Treat.
Toronto
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Just got back from Canyon Ranch two days ago and I'm already planning/saving for my trip back! What an inspirational, rejuvenating week. There is something for everyone... and I mean EVERYONE! Each week they pick a focus for that week and they bring in leading scholars from all over the world to head the focus for the week - be it lectures, activities, etc. They have more exercise classes than you ever imagined and the trainers are quite energetic and excited to get you moving. What I truly loved about the classes was that no matter your age or your level of ability, they found a way to make it work for you.
I went there to really clear my head while in the process of making three big life changing decisions. I came back feeling fresh, rested and ready to take on the world. It sounds corny but it's the truth! I also came back pretty proud of myself, as I never thought I could push myself as hard as I did and come out alive. It's a pretty amazing feeling.
One word of caution, however --- be prepared before you go! There are about 800 things you can do at Canyon Ranch each and every day (classes, lectures, medical testing, spa services, beauty services, outdoor excursions, etc.). The best way to navigate through all this without becoming overwhelmed is to print off the schedule for the week you are going, try to have an idea of what your goal of the week is and pick your activities based on what you want to achieve by the end of your stay. Don't try to do everything. You will crash mid week. You can always change what you chose once you arrive and start talking to people, but it's nice to have an idea of what you want to do ahead of time.
For me, I wanted to really relax and exercise, so I booked a spa service every night either before or after dinner and tried to do 2-3 exercise classes per day. When I was too tired to do the classes, I just went for a walk, read my book by the pool or had a nap. Not so bad, huh?!
Another great thing about this place is the food. Everything is organic and free from steroids and other unhealthy/foreign drugs. They have a very extensive gluten free menu and there is a calorie/fat/carbohydrate/sugar count on each food item/meal you eat. You have every opportunity to eat right and feel great about what you are eating.

To sum it all up, it's truly the best place in the world to clean up your act, change your life, be inspired and have a blast... guilt free!

Room Tip: All the rooms are different, but they are all super comfortable. It just depends on whether you want...