“Excellent Bone yard trip”

Pima Air & Space Museum
Ranked #3 of 282 things to do in Tucson
More attraction details
Owner description: Be amazed at one of the world's largest aircraft collections: including 2+ hangars of World War II planes, supersonic spyplanes, the world's smallest bi-plane, plus many other unique private, military and commercial air & spacecraft documenting the evolution of flight. Friendly docents augment your visit. Only Pima Air & Space offers the bus tour of the "Boneyard"/AMARG (M-F only, no holidays) plus offers its own tram tour of the museum's 80 acres of one-of-a kind planes daily (additional fees). You can actually touch "aviation history" including "Freedom One" (that flew the American 444-days-in-Iran hostages home), presidential crafts, planes that launched astronauts, delivered life-saving food/fuel, etc. and others with wingspans the length of a football field... Ogle helicopters, MiGs, an Oscar, a rare German buzz bomb, a moon rock and much more. 300 aircraft, 80 acres, 5 indoor air-cooled hangars. Just plane awesome!
Phoenix, Arizona
“Excellent Bone yard trip”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

One of the world's largest aerospace museums. 300+ aircraft. Really amazing.
The new plane bone yard trip is a must see.
Take 4-6 hours for full tour.
Also get coupon from museum web.

Visited November 2013

419 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 368 helpful votes
“Beautiful aircraft!”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This museum is clearly a labor of love and it shows. My father was a pilot in WWII and flew the C47, so I got to finally see one "in the flesh." He returned from the war and made flying his career, so I was at airports constantly until he died in a plane crash when I was almost 10. I have fond memories of being around planes and pilots, as well as very sad memories. My uncle was a Flying Tiger, and I have other pilots on the other side of the family, but I only fly on big airliners now and wondered how I'd feel at this museum. So many memories. It turns out I am my father's daughter, as I loved it. Gosh it felt great to walk by all the different planes! And hubby who has no smaller plane experiences was captivated by the planes too. The ones in the hangars are especially nice to look at. We also took the tram ride, which was very enjoyable, The docents are former pilots it would seem and they offer a wealth of information on what you'll see. This is a very different museum with a lot of history. I urge you to go.

Visited December 2013
Tucson, Arizona
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Please do not forget to take your visitors there....”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

After doing Mt Lemmon and the wine country , our visitors were delighted with the open air museum... The exhibits and memoabilia never cease to amaze and realize what sacrifices were made for our country by those brave aviators...
Also interesting for parties with children...
Take easy shoes and a hat for outdoor part!
Am not big on gift shops but this one has good stuff!

Visited January 2013
Berlin, Germany
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Huge indoor/outdoor museum, with a lot to see and do”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This museum is pretty amazing - it has a lot to offer. Both the hangars and the huge outdoor area contain hundreds of planes, most of which can be touched. In addition, there are flight simulators (at no additional cost), activities for kids (including an interactive "tower"), hangar exhibitions, and more. Bathrooms are available on many locations on the premises.

I estimate that around 90% of the aircraft (and exhibition) are military, and 10% commercial / civilian / space travel. I'm more interested in the latter, but the 2 hours I had were not enough time to explore even those. I hope I can come back one day and make it a full-day visit - I know it will be worth it.

Visited December 2013
Tucson, Arizona
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“If you like aviation...”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

...you'll love the Pima Air & Space Museum. They have indoor as well as outdoor exhibits, from a replica of the Wright Brother's plane to space memorabilia, and (almost) everything aviation-related in between. The docents are very knowledgeable, many having flown the sames planes as are exhibited, and the tram ride is worth the extra cost. If you have the time, also visit the boneyard (adjacent to Davis-Monthan AFB). They have more than 300 air and space craft of various vintages. We really enjoyed our visit and will be back!

Visited July 2013