“An oasis in the desert”

DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun
Ranked #13 of 288 things to do in Tucson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: On the National Register of Historic Places, this legendary landmark of Southwestern art and architecture was designed and built by acclaimed Arizona artist Ted DeGrazia. The 10-acre foothills site includes the adobe gallery with permanent and rotating exhibits, mission with interior murals, gift shop, cactus courtyard, the artist’s home, and his grave. Open daily 10-4, closed on these days: New Year’s, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Plenty of parking and handicap accessible. Admission Fees – $8.00 for adults, $5.00 for ages 12-18, under 12 are free. An annual individual membership is $25.00, with two buddy passes or an annual family membership is $55.00, with four buddy passes.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Danville, Vermont
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“An oasis in the desert”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I have been drawn to the De Grazia Gallery in the Sun for many years. It is always on the top of my list to visit every time I return to Tucson. I love how it feels like stepping back in the time when it was the residence and studio of De Grazia. His little house is mesmerizing. His love for children is truly endearing.

The De Grazia Gallery in the Sun brings you back to a simpler time when there was only desert surrounding the little compound sitting beneath the majestic Santa Catalina Mountains.

A little piece of this beautiful treasure returns home with me whenever I've visited.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank chilipepper54

Nanaimo
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Absolutely breathtaking!”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I had seen his work in California many years ago, so when I saw that he had a gallery in Tucson, I had to go. I didn't know much about DeGrazia, but after spending quite awhile at the gallery , I was truly touched. His art is beautiful and I was able to bring some home with me. The compound with the original home, chapel, other buildings , as well as the lovely grounds was a memory that will stay with me forever.

1 Thank sunnie48
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“More than I thought.”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

De Grazia's gallery is a reflection of his life. The mine like entrance, the painted adobe walls, the embedded cholla skeleton slices in the floor were intriguing. The gallery building itself just enhances his artwork.

1 Thank Glvj
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Something I'll never forget”
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

In all honesty, I was taken here at night so the gallery was shut, but the chapel next door that he built Is apparently always open and that was magical at night. I've never seen anything like that and it will always stay with me.

1 Thank Vargasgirl84
Chicago, Illinois
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“A must see for visitors to Tucson”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I had the good fortune of meeting this interesting artist back in the mid 60's shortly after he opened this museum. His work is recognized internationally and the gallery itself has become a national landmark. The gallery has continued to grow over the years with many rooms featuring his horses, native children, missions, Padre Kino, the Lady of Guadalupe, his ceramics and his books. The adobe construction is beautiful with some of the floors made from local cacti. Be sure to stop in the chapel and see the beautiful murals he painted there. Ted DeGrazia is a recognized fine artist of our times. I am grateful he left us such treasured works.

1 Thank aalady