Arizona Historical Society -- Arizona History Museum

Reviewed February 16, 2019
234Glenys
Battle Ground, Washington
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Tucson
from $21.95
from $41.00
from $80.00
from $54.35
More Info
All reviews interesting exhibits research library ox cart native american exhibits wyatt earp well laid out on display rainy day worth a visit general store two hours old west mining tunnel arizona stagecoach information
Selected filters
Reviewed March 1, 2019

We visited this museum and generally enjoyed its exhibits. Some of the displays were confusing as I did not know why certain families or ranches earned a place in the museum. Were they the best samples of the period?? Upstairs (I did not see an elevator) there are displays which children are encouraged to experience and touch - a nice addition. I personally liked the stagecoach and the mining exhibits. Some of the other domestic exhibits made me laugh. Being from the East, they had things in their displays that we still have in our living rooms. We would not call them historical but then AZ is a much younger state. There is no immediate parking. I would recommend the 2nd St. garage which is about three blocks away and has reasonable rates. There is a modest entry fee which is just right for a modest collection.

Reviewed February 16, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed our recent visit. A positive and informative docent offered us a tour throughout the museum and then we were able to revisit spots of interest. The displays regarding the Slaughter Ranch, Geronimo, modes of transportation, and the history of mining in the area were particularly interesting. The entry fee was very reasonable and well worth the price.

1  Thank 234Glenys
Reviewed February 12, 2019

Interesting exhibits, especially if you already have a little knowledge of AZ’s past. Having checked out John Slaughter at his ranch and in Tombstone, I found the Slaughter display especially informative. The rest of the museum is a little tired, but worth a visit. It would be a good idea to opt for two visits in order to absorb all the details. The saddle awarded at the very first Calgary Stampede is of special note for Canadians. For those who want the Native American exhibits, there is the terrfic AZ State Museum a few blocks away.

1  Thank Malcolm W
Reviewed January 15, 2019 via mobile

A great museum. Nicely laid out with many original articles from the past. I enjoyed learning about the sheriff and Geronimo
The gift shop had some unique items.

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed January 4, 2019

Lived in Tucson for years, never knew as much of the history of the area as I learned in just one visit to this museum.

Date of experience: January 2019