“Awesome for the history buff”

Mission San Xavier del Bac
Day trip to Tombstone Arizona and San Xavier Mission from Phoenix
Ranked #5 of 307 things to do in Tucson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Built in the 1700s, this recently restored white adobe church, representing a wonderful example of Spanish colonial architecture, is beautiful inside and out, with colorful frescoes, sculptures and carvings.
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We visited on a Sunday and the food vendors were out, so we sampled the fry bread. Great stuff.
The mission is beautiful and well maintained. I would definitely recommend a stop here.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,367)

Reviewed March 2, 2014

It was a quick drive from the city to arrive at the mission. It's interesting to see the mix of native american and spanish culture. I recommend it if you enjoy learning about these things. Don't expect native american crafts to be sold there, so if your looking for that call in advance to see if anyone is selling in the square that day.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

This place always amazes me. I have been there many times and the beauty and uniqueness of church inspires me to return and bring friends.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We swung by the Mission on our way back from the Sonora Desert Museum. Since we got there just a little over a half hour before it closed, the place was very quiet, and didn't have a ton of people, which was lovely. We took our time walking inside, which is just gorgeous and then, being a photographer, I was just in heaven with the photographic opportunities outside. Beautiful, don't miss it!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Docent has such knowledge of the history of the country and the time when this church was built. I always take the tour to have an understanding of what I'm seeing and I'm always pleased at what I hear. What a beautiful church, built in such an unlikely place and time.