“The southwest as it is” 5 of 5 stars
Review of International Wildlife Museum

International Wildlife Museum
Ranked #21 of 261 things to do in Tucson
More attraction details
Owner description: Highlights the diversity of animals world wide. Explains the role of science-based wildlife management for sustainable-use conservation, with emphasis on the role of hunting in biologically responsible wildlife management. Animals are displayed both by taxonomic group and in realistic dioramas which highlight the habitats in which the animals live. The museum has many touchable specimens on display. Insects including butterflies, moths and beetles are featured, as well as mammals, birds and some reptiles.All exhibits are indoors and the facility is air-conditioned. Wildlife movies run hourly from 10 am until 4 pm.
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“The southwest as it is”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was so impressed with all the lifelike animals that were in display on their natural habitat. There is so much information that I thought very interesting and very informative to our out of state tourist and also to our local residents and especially to the children's education.

Visited September 2012

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great place to visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Loads of fun for the kids, but educational for adults as well. A real hands on experience. Personally we haven't been ther in some time, but we always recommend this place to visiting friends. All have enjoyed it, especially those with children.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved this place!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We've been stationed in Tucson for 3 years and I don't know how I have never heard of this place!! My son happened to go on a field trip for school and told me about and when I had family come to visit I thought it would be fun to check it out. Not only did the kids have a blast but the adults loved it too. I loved that you pretty much walk along a path through the museum so I didn't have to keep my 2 year old strapped in a stroller the whole time. It's fun to see animals at the zoo but this place really puts the size of giant animals into perspective. Where else can you stand face to face with a polar bear, lion , or walk under a giraffe? My daughter was a little scared of the nighttime desert scene but other than that the kids had a great time. It was cheap and got us out of the house when it was 113 degrees outside.

Visited June 2013
Wetumpka AL
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“A great place to learn about wildlife and wildlife conservation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I can heartily recommend the International Wildlife Museum in Tucson. It is very educational as the various dioramas and displays show the animals' habitats as well.

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“sort of disturbing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a great museum if you are a hunter or just generally like taxidermy. It's kind of overwhelming, really. The reason I give this three stars is because it's unique and the displays are well done. The reason I don't give it five stars is it sends a disturbing message. The place has a castle exterior; the interior consists of huge rooms with high ceilings that are filled with various types of whole animals and animal heads/necks that are mounted on the walls. It's an extraordinary display of taxidermy. If you can get past the fact that these animals are hunted for sport and that one guy shot many of them (there is room full of sheep/goats that the founder took down), it's a great place. But for a lot of kids who haven't figured out that it's socially acceptable to hunt for sport and trophy, it might be a little disturbing. As a carnivore, I fully support hunting for food. Unfortunately, none of these animals was hunted for food & this museum is supported by a network of sport hunters, many of whom are quite wealthy and travel the globe (hence the term "international") looking for a new, exotic species to hunt, kill and mount. I will admit, I find it a bit random how some beautiful animals are routinely hunted (elephants) while others (giraffes) are not. I've never quite been able to reconcile how places like this seem to glorify animals, containing beautiful statues showing their majesty and grace and wildness (like the lion pictured here)...while at the same time supporting the dubious practice of trophy hunting.

9 Thank jdog17