“Wonderful Visit...Go early in the Summer”

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
Ranked #2 of 268 things to do in Tucson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This renowned combination zoo, natural history museum, botanical garden and art gallery reflects the diverse flora and fauna of the Sonoran Desert, featuring wildlife such as coyotes, bears and mountain lions in their natural settings and two aviaries; one for hummingbirds and the other for varied desert birds.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Took my 8 y/o son from the Valley on a day trip. If you go in the summer, go early and wear suncreen. The desert is beautiful after the monsoon rains. We had a wonderful visit and I would suggest the animal encounters and presentations.

1  Thank Michael W
Write a ReviewReviews (7,786)
All reviews
in 85 reviews
"great place to visit"
in 121 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I've been going to this museum for years with assorted friends and family. The drive there from Tucson through the saguaro desert is worth the whole trip! The museum was always good but they keep upgrading it.

1  Thank Carol H
Reviewed July 20, 2013

If you enjoy nature and the great desert outdoors, you cannot miss this one of a kind museum. Make sure to take in the raptor show - it is truly amazing. If you're moving to Tucson, buy a membership as you will want to take guests and visitors to this outstanding attraction.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We visited here twice during our weeks stay. We decided to go the first day in town so that we could familiarize ourselves with things we would find on our hiking trips in the desert. It is more of a zoo than "museum" and worth the money. I would recommend purchasing the membership if you plan to eat there, purchase any gifts or possibly come back another time. It will save you money. We went back on our last night for dinner at Ocotillo Cafe as the museum is open until 10:00pm on Saturday nights during the Summer. Nice to visit at a different time of day and see some of the animals more animated.

1  Thank Kim G
See more reviews
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I live in Mexico. I have been coming to Tucson for such a long time, that it is like a second home to me. Ironically, I had never visited the desert museum. Since I am currently on an extended stay in TUcson, I decided to take my son to visit the greatly recommended attraction. I must say, that as a lover of nature, this place surpased my expectations. If I enjoyed my visit, my son was overjoyed. He is only three, but already knew all the names of all the different animals, and had a great time making animal track prints. The place even taught me a few things that I didn't know, and I considered myself quite knowledgeable about the region's flora and fauna. Great family outing for anyone who is interested in nature. Highly recommend!

1  Thank Wagnerad