“Late Night Eats When Others Shut Down”

Shot in the Dark Cafe
Ranked #16 of 33 Coffee & Tea in Tucson
Colorado
“Late Night Eats When Others Shut Down”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We wound up in downtown Tucson the other night and it was ten or eleven and we wanted a small bite, maybe a fish taco. Unfortunately, the places we checked had already closed the kitchen but a bartender at the Congress Hotel sent us to the Shot in the Dark. It is a small older building and seemed more like a coffee shop than a restaurant at first glance. However, we did just fine there with a quesadilla and chocolate chip cookie. Yum. The service was fantastic and food down home style. Not a fancy place, but open 24/7 staffed by young people who will make you happy. A great discovery on our part thanks to that bartender.

• Visited May 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The place to go in downtown”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Great people, great food, and bestof all fantastic coffee. It's the best place to hang out downtown with a great urban feel

1 Thank Crazieaz
Santa Barbara, California
“there's a part of my heart that never leaves this place”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Shot In The Dark Cafe is the best place to go if you're looking for a chill atmosphere with comfortable seating, artsy decor, and occasional entertainment. The staff have always been friendly, helpful, and interesting to talk to. They care about their business, and they know their stuff.
The meals are excellently priced and delicious. My choice is usually the hummus platter, a plate full of delight sized perfectly to share with a friend (or totally pig out on, if you're me).
I've been going to Shot In The Dark since 2007, for a couple brief moves to Tucson and a few visits. I'm continuously satisfied with the service and atmosphere.
There really is a part of my heart that never leaves this place. It's the first thing I think of anytime someone mentions Tucson. It's also my favorite coffee shop in any of the three states I've lived in.
If you're a tourist, keep in mind that this is a good place to stop between the courthouse/library photo ops and that groovy rattlesnake overpass. It's also right next to one of Tucson's main city bus transit centers and the train station.
They have something to offer everyone, whether you're looking for a cheap breakfast on your way to work or a place to gather with your friends for an all day conversation over coffee. (But if you are going to be there all day, be courteous and keep ordering things. It's all pretty tasty, anyway.)
I've actually debated buying a flight to Tucson just to sit around in Shot In The Dark cafe again and feel that warm Tucson air as I'm drinking a huge glass of mocha, watching beams of sunset through the city walls and windows.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank Amidthe
Sonoma, California
“disgusting”
Reviewed December 25, 2011

there are homeless people and thieves who hang out there for the free computer use. my phone was stolen and i was continually harassed be weirdos. go there at your own risk

Visited June 2011
1 Thank lobsterfood
Tucson
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food, Great Coffee, And Changing Decor”
Reviewed December 17, 2010

Open 24/7 every day of the year... They consistently have very good food and coffee and if you happen to be a smoker, have a screened in smoking room just for you. Have just put in new booths and always have some new interesting art work on their walls.

1 Thank TucsonKat

Been to Shot in the Dark Cafe? Share your experiences!