“If You have Traveleld Miles You Might As Well Go In!”
Review of Old Tucson

Tucson Scavenger Hunt Adventure
Ranked #31 of 315 things to do in Tucson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Old Tucson is Where the Spirit of the Old West Comes Alive! Southern Arizona's one-of-a-kind Wild West attraction features live action stunt shows, musicals and live entertainment, vintage rides for the kids and special events throughout the season. Step back in time as you make your way through town, walking the same streets made famous by movie legends such as John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Elizabeth Taylor, Steve Martin, Sharon Stone and more! Home to more than 400 films and commercial productions, Old Tucson remains the region's premier film location. Experience the diversity of our Native American and other cultural ancestry through our living history programs celebrating life in the Arizona Sonora Desert region during Arizona's Territorial Period.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Not the cheapest of attractions. I did find parts very interesting, mainly the historical aspects of the site and the little museum with film artefacts and the 'coral' from the 1957 "Gunfight at the OK coral" film. It was obvious to me that filming does not take place here anymore, It does not feel all that believable and check out the locomotive at the top end of the site. hard to believe that even moved let alone appeared in films. I believe parts of the Three Amigos! (1986) film were shot here being the last one. Had a neglected kind of feel for me. Suspect the kids will find it a hoot...Not so much the adults. July 2009.

1  Thank DaveRuss
Write a ReviewReviews (1,694)
All reviews
in 17 reviews
"antique cars"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed July 1, 2009

Old Tucson is way outside the city so it has the Feel of the wild west and can still be used as a movie / tv set. They charge you $17 per adult and $11 per kid to get in and walk around, the tours and shows are few times per day. It is big and has lots of buildings to see. They have a merry go round and mini car ride $2 each. I took my two daughters on a horse ride for $6 each. I was disappointed with the bar-b-que, I have tasted better for less money. All in all we saw and toured and ate...but did not get a good value for $56 of entrance fees, $60 food and $30 of “fun” for the kids. On the positive side…was cool to see where so many wild west movies were filmed.

1  Thank ciscokid1970
Reviewed March 18, 2009

We were looking for a day trip out of Phoenix and ran across information on Old Tucson Studios. We decided to give it a try.

While I think the admission price was a little steep for the attractions, we had a lot of fun.

The fake gun fight was pretty cool, but could have been longer. We did not catch the shows (I would have like to, but my wife is not really into that). We did ride the train and saw some nice scenery and also rode the cars.

All in all, it was a nice trip and I am glad we went. I would go again, but not just for old Tucson studios.

I think they could improve by:
1. longer gunfight
2. more attractions
3. do a bit more with the train ride. Maybe schedule a stop along the way to do something?

1  Thank USWATCHES
Reviewed February 11, 2009

I visited Old Tucson Studios in 2000. I had a good time there exploring looking for historic buildings used in various films. The only dissapointment was that after the big fire they chose to rebuild it differently than it was. The melody ranch in California had burned and was rebuilt exactly as it was. I can't amagine doing a western film there with that hugh grand palace building. It looks out of place.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 3, 2008

A big investment of imagination and leadership could return this Tucson icon into something really worth visiting. Its unfortunate that the experience seems designed to cater to the lowest common tourist denominator - and barely succeeds even there.

Although movie sets are by definition contrived there is little here to make the visitor believe they are in a real western movie set. There is a feeling that "nobody shoots movies here any more". From what I've read the lack of re-building after the '95 fire has reduced the experience to a former shadow of itself. Old Tucson Studios most vernerable "actor" - the 19th century steam locomotive- would be better off restored and used rather than rotting away on a short piece of track. The locomotive is in much worse condition than the web-site images would have you believe. The one (Can-Can) show I attended was poorly scripted and badly acted, along with piped-in applause to counter the lack of sufficient spontaneous appreciation. There are other things to amuse yourself with, but they mostly require more $.

The whole experience needs some professional help. Having movie music played all over the place was annoying, as was the sweeping up of real horse doo-doo (hey-where are you taking that ambiance?) For the price I didn't expect "hoaky". My credit card was over-charged by about $7 . I called and was given some difficult to swallow explanation that it would reflect real charges in a few days. That didn't sit well with me, but the weather was perfect.