“Trip back in Time”

Carnival of Illusion in Tucson
Ranked #17 of 307 things to do in Tucson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Old Tucson is temporarily closed. It will reopen on September 29. Old Tucson is Where the Spirit of the Old West Comes Alive! Southern Arizona's one-of-a-kind Wild West attraction features live action stunt shows, musicals and live entertainment, vintage rides for the kids and special events throughout the season. Step back in time as you make your way through town, walking the same streets made famous by movie legends such as John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Elizabeth Taylor, Steve Martin, Sharon Stone and more! Home to more than 400 films and commercial productions, Old Tucson remains the region's premier film location. Experience the diversity of our Native American and other cultural ancestry through our living history programs celebrating life in the Arizona Sonora Desert region during Arizona's Territorial Period.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was a trip back to our collective childhoods. The guide was very informative, approachable, knowledgeable and a pleasure to be with. All of the cast where excellent. They obviously love what they are doing. They made the day perfect for us. I thought the last show (excerpt form Quick N Dead) highly entertaining/amusing. It was a great way to spend a day back in time to the old West and to my childhood. Good fun.

1  Thank twandalives
Write a ReviewReviews (1,540)

Reviewed August 5, 2013

It is now so commercialized, it's not even fun. I suppose tourists would get a big kick out of it. I remember the old days when you could walk in & walk around, all for free. It was the real Old Tucson back in those days. It IS quite a tourist attraction though.

0ld_Tucson, Manager at Old Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

We are sorry that did not enjoy your visit. It seems it had been some time since you visited - probably prior to the hey-days of Old Tucson's movie career. Hopefully (in addition to movie history tours, live shows, and gunfights), you had a chance to learn about life in the real Old West with living history presentations that speak to Southeastern Arizona's history - with subjects like "Sheriffs in the Old West," and "History of the Stagecoach" (among others) that are designed to contrast actual Old West life with what was portrayed in movies as well as the native village - a replica of 1880's Tohono O'odham style dwellings. In addition, Old Tucson also presents a series of special events that celebrate the history, heritage and cultures that contributed to the Tucson we know today. These events include (among others) the Heritage & Harvest Festival, celebrating local heritage and culture; Shoot Out at the Chaparral, celebrating our Western film heritage; Wild West Days celebrating the diverse cultures of our region from Buffalo Soldiers to Cowboys to Native Americans and others; and the Cowboy Music Festival celebrating historical and contemporary musical traditions. We hope you'll visit again soon!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I visited Old Tuscon Studios in 1999. I really enjoyed it. I was hoping during my next visit to AZ in about two that I could return. I am so grateful that I decided to look at the website and discovered that they are closed. Now that would have been a Clark Griswold moment for sure. Lol. I am not sure why they would be closed now, the last time that I was there was in June. From reading some of the write ups it seems like they don't operate on a full time basis. Oh well, maybe next time. If you do get the opportunity to go when they are open it is something to see. Especially if thats your kind of thing. I found it fun to see where some shows/movies that I grew up watching were actually filmed. There was a fire there many years ago (1995 I think) and a lot of memoribilia was destroyed.

2  Thank Raspberrygang
Reviewed July 29, 2013

A real old movie studio. Fun to visit though not a lot to do. Enjoy it for what it is. They can't seem to decide if they are open for good or closed for good. They do a scary Halloween thing too. My kids liked the shoot outs when they were little and we have some neat photos.

1  Thank Pimacowgirl
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is where some movies were made many TV shows It might interest some people and children enjoy seeing some of the re enactments that is staged for shows. It can be a lot of fun If windy it can get dusty. It is some place you might like to visit especially if you go to the Desert Museum They are close to each other.

Been to Old Tucson? Share your experiences!