“good neighborhood place with kids--” 4 of 5 bubbles

Canterbury's Oyster Bar & Grill
Ranked #3 of 32 Restaurants in Oyster Bay
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Syosset, NY
“good neighborhood place with kids--”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

good bar too -- can be crowded on weekends! Kids enjoy writing on the paper table cloths! Need to get back there again --look for coupons!

Visited July 2013

new york
“Unpleasant Hostess”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

I have never encountered a more unpleasant hostess than the mature woman at the hostess stand at this establishment. She is rude, ignores customers and does nothing to make people welcome. She barely acknowledged me when I asked for a table and made me wait while she took care of a customer bill. The food is average at best although my husband does enjoy the oysters. Be prepared for sticker shock. Most entrees are on the $30 range and the place is a decent value only if you have a coupon. We were there on a slow night an the staff stood around chatting. I always end up annoyed when I go to this restaurant and do not have plans to return

• Visited July 2013
Muttontown, NY
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Excellent fare and service to boot. Nice, friendly atmosphere. They aim to please. We frequent this place on a regular basis. Never to be disappointed.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Ricardito_12
Long Island
“Ho-Hum”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Went to this very long standing classic restaurant with 5 people...first time in about 20 years. Now I remember why I was never in a hurry to return.
Upon our arrival, the restaurant was very busy and extraordinarily noisy. Hard to hear yourself think, never mind have a conversation. We did have a reservation that was half heartedly honored. Service was very slow and inattentive. Just getting a spare napkin or a drink was belaboring. We ordered five different meals and appetizers. The food was truly only fair after the waiter assured us everything was delicious. We began with mussels in garlic sauce--very weak sauce; and a reuben roll which was actually pretty good, although oily from being fried. For the main entrees one person ordered the mac and cheese special which came with peas and ground lamb, one had the jambalaya, another had sesame crusted tuna in a salad, another the fish n chips and one had corned beef and cabbage. No one raved about the food, and all considered it only fair. Towards the end of our meal as the restaurant emptied, a band came in and played loud music. For those who want to come, have a drink and listen this would have been fine, but on top of the real noise, it was unbearable.
I would have given the restaurant only two stars but it really wasn't poor. It was ok, nothing special. I doubt I will return for another twenty years or so.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank earladybon
Massapequa, New York
“So good we went two days in a row”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and son took me here recently for my birthday since I wanted some oysters and an oyster po boy. We went late on a Sunday afternoon and had made reservations which we probably didn't need since the restaurant was only about three quarters full which I thought was pretty good at 2 on a Sunday. We had an oyster sampler with 3 each of four different types... all were very good. My son had some coconut shrimp with a mango salsa that he loved. There is an excellent selection of probably 100 or so beers but most are in bottles. My wife and I wanted po' boys which they had but we opted for a special of the day Gumbo. The Gumbo was great loaded with seafood salmon, swordfish, scallops, shrimp and two oysters on top, it was an excellent choice. My son had a steak sanwich which he said was very good. Since the food was so good we returned the next day ( a half hour drive from home) so we could get the oyster po' boys. It was worth the drive the po' boys had a good amount of fried cornmeal oysters along with apple wood smoked bacon, lettuce and horseradish mayo and some Roma tomatoes they were excellent. Not sure what some reviewers find fault in since I will return again and again. The service is excellent and there are wonderful photos and paintings everywhere. Their is something on the menu for everyone and there were some families with children.

• Visited February 2013