“Don't judge a WEBSITE by it's cover!”
Review of Cohill's Inn

Cohill's Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Lubec B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My husband and I just recently stayed @ COHILL'S INN for two nights. It was two nights too many.......Most unpleasant and expensive Inn I have ever been in. Yes the views from our room were spectacular, but we saw those same views while outside all day. First off we were on the third floor and all though I did chose the room I did not know what un safe the stairs would be.........very narrow and little to none safety features. No coffee maker in the room, in fact there was nothing in the room. No phone, no coffee maker, no air conditioner. The carpet and chairs needed much cleaning and the bathroom sink did not drain well so there was always standing water in it. The staff are the most unfriendly (almost rude) staffing I have ever come across...........not the best policy when depending on guests to make a profit from. I think they depend on their IRISH BAR to bring in the money and customers and the INN is an after thought. Anyone thinking they'd like to go to Lubec Maine and stay please do so as the scenery is beautiful...................Just stay some place other than COHILL'S INN......Oh and one other thing..............the sidewalks are pretty well rolled up by 7 or 8 at night...........Well except for the Bars and taverns. Oh and their so called continental breakfast............just ok especially if you don't mind sharing from the same jar of peanut butter and jelly as everyone else!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gneebug

Reviewed August 8, 2013

While on our trip we tried to find places on the water to have our meals.
It should have been a tip off when they didn't seat us right away ( the place was fairly empty). When we were seated she asked for our drink order my husband asked for menus she barked at him " its on the wall right next to you "! We didn't stay long but the view was beautiful.

1  Thank 24theroad76
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Wow, rarely have I had a meal this good! I had the lamb burger with goat cheese and could not stop mmm-mmm-mmm-ing! My husband was happy with his hamburger. The service was excellent, efficient, and quick.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were at Cohills on July 7th 2013.It was an usually hot day air so still no ocean breeze. Our room was on the entrance side of building with a view of the small harbor. This was pleasant. But no AIR CONDITION in the room or in the pub down stairs. I had a fan in my car but my husband took it out. We spent a very uncomfortable night.
WE ate dinner at the Inn because we read how great the Salmon was. I love and cook wild caught salmon all the time. I asked for it to be medium it came dried out the taste was fine but it was so dry I could not eat it.IT was suppose to have mashed potato with it ,but it was served with under cooked micro waved baked potato and frozen green beans.my husband just had an appetizer. He paid the bill and the wait person asked about the salmon he told her(the owner) that it was over cooked and her comment was "well you know it is wild caught" ,He told her that we ate it all the time and knew how it should be cooked. These people who own this business did not seems to be very friendly.I would not stay here again, All we heard from the people were how the town closed at *8pm* and it did. maybe if someone played some music and kept their lights on the would be opened later and MAYBE WOULD EVEN MAKE SOME MORE MONEY IT THEIR SHORT TOURIST SEASON. I'm so glad that we went on the Campobello and St Andrews we had a wonderful time and all the people were so nice.

Room Tip: Bring a Fan if it is summer and hot! Be ready for a few stairs to climb to your rooms
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The inn seems attractive but as others have noted, the staff is rude, surly and down right hostile. We had a reservation and they knew we were bringing our dog but the person we thought to be the owner (apparently, he is not) insisited we take our dog out the the inn IMMEDIATELY! and keep him in the car as he was very slightly damp from swimminmg hours earlier. Then he told us that we weren't welcome either and through us out!!. We ended up driving all the way BACK to Machias where we had stayed the night before. At the time we thought it might have been anti-semitism but reading other reviews makes me think it was just old fashioned nastiness. The owners should take heed!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ThePurpleProfessor
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed at Cohill’s Inn in Lubec for a week in July 2012 when I was visiting for a photography workshop. It is a nice place to stay. The rooms are large, and bright. There is excellent WiFi. When I mentioned beforehand that I needed a desk to work on my photography, the owner, Jack Cohill insured that a desk and chair were in the room when I arrived. My room, the Mulholland Lighthouse, was in the front with a nice view across the water to, what else, the Mulholland Lighthouse on Campobello Island. Keeping the window open at night made the room comfortably cool, and, after 8:00 there was very little noise from the street. The shower was a bit tight, and, probably due to the convoluted plumbing, sounded like a screaming banshee when the water was running…this was probably more annoying to the people in the next room if they were trying to sleep. The pub downstairs had several good beers on tap and had excellent food, including what was probably the best Shepherd’s Pie I have ever eaten.

All restaurants in Lubec close at 8:00 pm. After trying a couple of other restaurants for lunch, I decided to stick with Cohill’s for my dinners.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ken_Photo_Geek
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I live in southern Maine and own a small home in Lubec. We LOVE the community and it's people (Mostly the actual natives, but a few, "from aways" also~). The property, which is presently, Cohill's Inn, has had numerous owners through the years. Since these Jerseyites purchased; remodeled to some degree; and opened this place; I've only been in a few times, for a light snack and/or a drink, with friends. (-: On my last visit there, I was unnecessarily treated in an extremely rude manner, by the owner himself. And, later on, when I attempted, to discuss the unpleasant situation, I was spoken to very abruptly and harshly. Maybe some folks "from away" bring in enough money, to warrant the owners of Cohill's Inn, to treat them far more respectfully, than I was treated that particular evening. However, I don't believe that's any way to run a business, especially a so-called friendly Downeast inn. After some thought and consideration, I decided there are much better establishments to visit in Lubec, Maine. Uncle Kippy's and Frank's Dockside will have my business and I highly recommend both of these to others also, along with my opinions on Cohill's. (-: The Inn On The Wharf's restaurant is a little pricy, but also a recommendation. One last thing... Some folks believe Cohill's is a huge success in Lubec. I disagree. The "majority", of the patrons, are friends and family, of the owners, from New Jersey and neighboring Pennsylvania. Things aren't always as they appear! (-:

Room Tip: Stay at either The Eastland Hotel or The Inn on The Wharf instead! (-:
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends