“The kind of people, who give New Jersey a bad name~”
Review of Cohill's Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lubec
Cohill's Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Lubec B&B and Inns
Berwick. Maine
“The kind of people, who give New Jersey a bad name~”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I live in southern Maine and own a small home in Lubec. We LOVE the community and it's people (Mostly the actual natives, but a few, "from aways" also~). The property, which is presently, Cohill's Inn, has had numerous owners through the years. Since these Jerseyites purchased; remodeled to some degree; and opened this place; I've only been in a few times, for a light snack and/or a drink, with friends. (-: On my last visit there, I was unnecessarily treated in an extremely rude manner, by the owner himself. And, later on, when I attempted, to discuss the unpleasant situation, I was spoken to very abruptly and harshly. Maybe some folks "from away" bring in enough money, to warrant the owners of Cohill's Inn, to treat them far more respectfully, than I was treated that particular evening. However, I don't believe that's any way to run a business, especially a so-called friendly Downeast inn. After some thought and consideration, I decided there are much better establishments to visit in Lubec, Maine. Uncle Kippy's and Frank's Dockside will have my business and I highly recommend both of these to others also, along with my opinions on Cohill's. (-: The Inn On The Wharf's restaurant is a little pricy, but also a recommendation. One last thing... Some folks believe Cohill's is a huge success in Lubec. I disagree. The "majority", of the patrons, are friends and family, of the owners, from New Jersey and neighboring Pennsylvania. Things aren't always as they appear! (-:

Room Tip: Stay at either The Eastland Hotel or The Inn on The Wharf instead! (-:
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank 20Lubec00

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed October 24, 2012

During our recent trip to Lubec, we did not stay at the Inn but did have a few beers and snacks there. The beer was great, food very good and location nice. We were not there when any live entertainment was going on but would like to return to experience that as well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 17, 2012

You have to be of a certain disposition in the first place to want to come to Lubec, and assuming you are, you will find Cohill's Inn rich in character in a charming location. OK, it's a bit of a drive (from anywhere really) and it won't appeal to all, but that's sort of the point.

What you are getting here is the joy of being somewhere that rewards the effort required to get there. I arrived on a thoroughly miserable, rainy day and retired to the bar, where I supped Guinness, read a book and enjoyed expansive views of the coastline. Some women played guitar.

I then stayed for dinner - great chowder, amazing salmon salad. I took a stroll through the incomparably quiet town afterward, which pretty much shuts down completely after about 8pm.

I stayed in Room 9 (the Bay of Fundy room), their most popular room because of the views. Many of the reviewers are correct about the decor - the room could be described as dated, but this isn't supposed to be a clinical Best Western experience - I thought it was reasonably priced for what I had, but I would encourage travellers to check out their website and other reviews to set your expectations before coming.

The breakfast was just adequate, with plenty of coffee, bagels, cereal - that kind of thing.

Nearby are some great sights at Roosevelt park and the West Quoddy Head lighthouse. This is definitely somewhere deserving of a visit if you've the stamina to get here; I wish I'd stayed a couple more days. Colhill's Inn was a very good choice for the stay, I hope one day I'll go back.

Room Tip: Room 9, Bay of Fundy room is a large king size with good views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jon E
Waterville, Maine
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband & I stopped into Cohill's Inn looking for a room for the night. Luckily, there were vacancies but only for this one night. We were able to select from many choices of rooms, Jack even gave us the keys to available rooms-to "check them out". We chose the Bay of Fundy Room and were immediately rewarded to views of a dozen seals swimming into the bay to feed and they were followed by 3 very active eagles. We could sit in our room, watch the ongoing nature show, see the area fishermen coming & going from their boats as well as all the local street activity. Our room was neat and clean and the views were something we will never forget. We were offered a simple breakfast of items we would have eaten at home, fruits, juice, yogurt, cereals, english muffins and toast, etc. There was plenty of coffee & tea too. It was nice to be able to go downstairs and have a bite to eat before heading out the door for more sightseeing and talking with other guests at the Inn. Jack was a wonderful host and very friendly. We would recommend the Cohill's Inn to anyone looking for an Inn in a small, quiet, Downeast town where you will not find a nationwide burger, coffee or chicken joint in the entire area :) Lubec, the way Maine should be!

Room Tip: Take the best "room" that is available, you won't regret the scenic views out your win...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Miramichi, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed in 2 different rooms....The Bay, most popular had a great view, but the windows and screens were not clean.and the curtains just barely covered them...Bed not comfortable, needs updating and the bedspread looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a long time.

The Lupine room had a newer bed, but very firm. Filthy window, much worse than upstairs. Both rooms were clean, but there was no shampoo or hair dryer and only plastic cups.

Breakfast was a continental one, included, but just had the bare essentials....we have had much better many times.

Overall, cost too much for just an average room...lovely view and close to everything. Wouldn't recommend to friends

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scrabblersOnt
Harlingen, Texas
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We are traveling for fun and made reservations at the Cohills Inn. The other Inn we wanted was booked up. We stayed in the Mulholland Room which had a fantastic view of the seals and sea gulls on the Bay of Fundy. That alone almost made it the perfect place to stay. However, the room itself is very small. There is no place to put your stuff and being on a 4 week trip, we had a lot of stuff. The quilt on the bed smelled musty. The bed was comfortable and sleeping with the window open was nice. However, the bright lamp outside shined into our room all night. We learned to use a cloth over our eyes to keep the light out of our eyes. The curtains barely cover the window and do NOT block out the light. The bathroom was tiny as was the shower which we are accustomed to in Europe but the shower head is in need of cleaning so the spray is not uniform. Plus it hits those of us who are short right in the face. A hand held shower may have resolved this issue. The toilet lid was loose, partially broken so we had to straighten the seat before we used it so we would slide over.

Jack himself is very nice and friendly. Maid service was very good and fresh towels were delivered daily. If we needed ice, we went downstairs to the bar and Jack gladly filled up our ice bucket.

The best part is that the Irish Pub is downstairs and had Guinness Stout on tap. My husband was in heaven. The food in the Inn was wonderful. I had the Portabello Sandwich which exceeded my expectations. Terrific food!

I probably would never stay here again but the experience has left a wonderful memory of good times. Just not the shower, could hardly wait to get to a real hotel with a good shower. I just didn't feel clean. Parking is very limited which can make loading and unloading a problem. Consider it camping indoors.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My wife and I selected Cohill's from about 5 places that are available in Lubec, and there is no doubt, we selected the best one. (we had not been to Lubec and knew nothing about the motels, and B&Bs.) Cohill's overlooks the bay, is close to the water, and has a very popular restaurant.

The owner is very helpful and friendly. We had the Campabello room with a king bed - very comfortable. The building and room are not fancy, but was more than adequate for our stay. We had dinner - starting with a couple of draft beers (decent selection). Beer and food were very good and reasonably priced.

Cohill's has a limited breakfast but it was adequate. Coffee was excellent.

We went to Lubec to visit the Roosevelt cottage but wished we had stayed for another few days as Lubec is a quaint, peaceful village. The air was cool and crisp. Very relaxing. Both my wife and I and another couple thought that Lubec reminded us of Port Wenn (from Doc Martin).

We would stay at Cohill's again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lubec
The Inn at the Wharf
Deer Island Inn
Deer Island Inn
#1 of 3 in Deer Island
The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection

Been to Cohill's Inn? Share your experiences!