“Nice setting, good service, OK food”

Water Street Tavern & Inn
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Lubec
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Texas
“Nice setting, good service, OK food”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

The restaurant has a very nice setting and we had a great table. The service was good but a bit hectic. There is a nice wine list. The food was good if not overly inventive or great. The price was about right. We would go back again, but would also try anther restaurant.

• Visited August 2011

Stockton, New Jersey
“Surprise gem with great food and atmosphere.”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Went here for dinner on a Monday in August when many other restaurants were closed. The staff was very friendly, service was very good despite the restaurant filling up at peak dinner hours. Nice cozy atmosphere- sort of updated tavern restaurant with local art on the walls, good lighting, bright , warm, and very clean. Our party of 4 had the pork tenderloin, the Black and Blue, Tavern Pie, and Buffalo Tenders. The pork was awesomely tender and delicious, as were the buffalo tenders. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his tavern pie (like a shepherd's pie), my blackened haddock was delicious (the bluefin crab cake was also very good). The portions were very generous, 3 of us took doggie bags home for lunch next day. DO have dessert also! The carrot cake, chocolate cake, and blueberry pie were all delightful and delicious! Many good beers on tap, decent wine selection. A true find. This was their second season and I hope they have a long and thriving business. We hope to dine there again next year!

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Janice H
On the Road
“Surprised”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We went here, because my wife had read they had "comfort food." They did have good food, not exactly in the moderate cost range but very good. I had a Brazilian dish, a seafood chowder, with haddock, scallops and I am not sure what else, it was excellent. They seem to be having a little trouble with their service, but I seem to think that is problematic with most seasonal restaurants. We plan on visiting again, this trip. The food was excellent. I had desert, a $10 slice of carrot cake, which could have served 4. It is 4 layers and I would say it was the best I have had.

1 Thank Semperfi66
East Sandwich, Massachusetts
“Best blueberry pie... EVER!”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

My honey and I wandered down from the top of the hill looking for dinner. We heard a live band, and it drew us to Water Street Tavern. The kitchen was closing, but they seated us anyway, and didn't scrimp on the service.

The staff is great, they were very attentive. Our meals were fresh and good. As we all know (or should know), it's not a meal without dessert. My blueberry pie was so good, I may drive the 7 hours north for another piece.

They could benefit from having one of the local Maine craftsmen, of which I hear there are many, come up with some innovative way to create a screen door that fits the hole people walk in and out of. The bird-sized mosquitoes thought I was <i>their</i> dessert, and feasted on my exposed skin.

• Visited July 2011
derwood, md
“Food was only OK, People working there were Great!”
Reviewed July 1, 2011

My spouse and I ate here recently on the last night of our week long Maine seafood eating and driving tour. The restaurant overlooks the water. The food that we ordered was "OK", my spouses salmon was a little "fishy" tasting, my scallops were missing something (I kept salting them). The service and friendliness of the people working there, however, was outstanding. The owner brought us a free appetisor (clams in a red hot sausage sauce) which was also only "OK" (but free). The clams were sandy, but again they were free.

I'd probably eat here again, moreso because of the nice people working there, rather than the food. Two young sisters working there were from Lithuania and very pleasant to talk to.

I think the owner needs to take a hard look at the staff in the kitchen preparing the food.

• Visited June 2011