When making the reservations we asked if the hotel was handicap accessible and we were told that it was. Upon our arrival we found that our reservation was incorrect and that there was no record of our request as it had been entered incorrectly. Luckily they had a room available. We also discovered that the hotel was not handicap accessible. Instead, the hotel is located below the level of the road and can be reached via a steep incline/decline or a set of 17 wooden steps.
If space is available below, you can park your car and load/unload your luggage. If there are cars in the way then the only option is to use the stairs. If you are handicapped, and God forbid if you use a wheelchair or scooter which will result in an exciting ride to the water, do not come here. Also, we were required to pay our bill upfront upon registering! This has never happened to us before as we have always paid upon checkout.
Also, if you are a light sleeper then you will have problems since a working lobster facility is located directly below the rooms. As a result, the pumps that keep the lobsters alive in their tanks will keep you awake all night. It sounds as if a person in the next room is showering all night long! There is no A/C so the windows are open, which is nice when it is cool but there is a generator or motor on the dock that also ran all night on one of the nights we were there. With no A/C a person with breathing problems may have difficulty with the hot weather.
WIFI is not secure! Do not use WIFI! Cell service is problematic given the location of Lubec, no TV, which was fine for us but we are habitual weather watchers and felt in the dark on this when planning our activities.
The whale watching/tour boat, "Tarquin" did not have a working radio on our trip. Not safe. We were only made aware of this because the pilot told us and we were already well into the watch on the Bay of Fundy.
The owners were aloof but the staff was friendly and helpful. The room was nice. A large warehouse is available to park the car which was nice as the birds were very active!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy an oceanfront lifestyle and lodging in an elegantly renovated 100 year old sardine factory in Lubec, Maine. The Inn at the Wharf offers stunning ocean views and its own wharf. Each suite includes a bedroom, bath and a large sitting area, and opens to a large gathering room, kitchen and deck. Each oceanfront apartment includes two bedrooms, two baths, den, kitchen, dining and living areas, each with its own deck and complete laundry facilities. Free indoor secure parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Orbitz so you can book your The Inn at the Wharf reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Inn At The Wharf Hotel Lubec
- The Inn At The Wharf Lubec, Maine