“Take a path off the beatten”

Quoddy Head State Park
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Lubec
More attraction details
Owner description: Spanning more than 481 acres, this scenic park offers hikers breathtaking trails that follow along rock cliffs rising 80 feet above the ocean.
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This park offers a scenic hike along the coastal terrain. The vistas are terrific, and the hike is a little rugged at times but not treacherous (unless you get stupid). A great way to see coastal Maine. Figure 2 1/2 hours for a round trip. Begin near the West Quoddy Lighthouse. Oh, by the way, do you know what is west of the West Quoddy Lighthouse?....The East Quoddy Lighthouse. Go Figure.

1  Thank Ogadoo

Reviewed October 20, 2011

I came here to see the eastern most point in the United States, and found much more. The West Quaddy lighthouse at the park entrance was a nice landmark, being the only candy-striped lighthouse in the US and one of the only few in the world. Make sure you visit visitor center next to the lighthouse, I learned much about Maine and the lobsters there. On my way along the beautiful cliff walk I encountered two naturalists who are out here doing bird watching. They pointed out the stranded sand walkers on the rocks during high tide, and also showed me this really cool looking cormorant that had to wind dry its wings.

1  Thank beifangde1
Reviewed October 10, 2011

If you have ever ready the poem "Evangeline" the first stanzas perfectly describe Quoddy Head State Park.... a Beautiful, moss covered forest, the air heavy with a mixture of balsam and sea air.... waves crashing on the rocky shore, with small, babbling brooks feeding down through the forest floor and out the cliff faces to the shore below. There is a 5 mile hiking trail along the cliffs and then off into the bogs that is like walking through Middle Earth. It would not seem surprising at all to see a Hobbit greet you along the trail! Even the less physically fit among us (including me!) can handle most of the trail and if you get tired there are benches along the way to stop and rest and take in the breathtaking view. It is not a destination you will ever forget!

3  Thank ArtHounds01930
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Spent a glorious week in Maine Fall 2010 and wish we were there again this year!!! We went from the Portland Head Light up the coast to Lubec. We are from the south with beautiful white sandy beaches and were completely blown away by the rocky beauty that is coastal Maine!!! Too many to name them all but Lubec and West Quoddy are at the top!!!!! We loved Maine!!!

Reviewed August 28, 2011

My husband and I spent a leisure week driving up the coast of Maine. We flew into Portland and rented a car. We did not have any reservations, just a map and comments made from previous travelers. We decided that Lubec would be our northern most destination. By the time we reached Lubec we had a list of places we wanted to visit on our way back down the coast. My husband had to talk me into stopping at Quoddy Head State Park. I did not except to find beautiful hiking trails dotted with wildflowers, my favorite lighthouse that is now my computer wallpaper, and peaceful winding roads. The people were very friendly and it was a highlight of the vacation!

1  Thank Cindy E