“Good location but dingy rooms need to be redone”

Omni Providence Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed August 4, 2013

As per other reviews, this is a great location and the public areas are impressive looking. Unfortunately, the second we headed out of the lobby to the cavernous "north tower" it was all downhill. Stained carpets, peeling paint in the hallways and peeling wall paper in our room and a general stale smell- it all looks kind of tired and in need of updating. On the plus side, the linens were great and the beds were comfortable.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Fairfieldgirl
PRVOMNIMANAGER, Manager at Omni Providence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor. It was disappointing for us to read that your stay at the Omni Providence did not meet your expectations. Having just purchased the hotel we have already invested into the property and continuing. A full property renovation is set to begin in early 2014. Thank you again for your feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,970)

Reviewed August 3, 2013

The Omni was exceptional in their service to us. We brought our two dogs. It seemed the entire hotel staff bent over backwards to make sure everything went smooth, including on check -in. I was told if I didn't think the room would be quiet enough for the dogs, she would find another room for me. Our dogs are exceptionally well-behaved and well-trained so I think this was appreciated by the staff as well. The valet commented on our way out that he has seen a lot of untrained, unruly dogs. Their pet policy is extremely fair. Our room was exceptionally clean based on hotel standards and perfectly located to some nice restaurants, the canal, etc. Did need to request a refrigerator, which was brought in a timely manner. Great bed for sleeping. The entire staff was friendly, courteous. There wasn't one staff member that looked grumpy and unhelpful, so service and friendliness is top on Omni's list when hiring employees, which is very nice. Overall, a great place to stay in Providence. Yes, the parking is the one expense that is an ouch, which is always a city pinch in the pocket.

Room Tip: We had a corner room/East Tower Room on the 12th floor. Big enough. Quiet. Okay view if you looked...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for recommending the Omni Providence on TripAdvisor. We are glad you had a great stay and hope you will return soon!

Reviewed August 3, 2013

It's obvious that Providence has worked hard to up-their-game in terms of city attractiveness - and the Omni is an excellent example of development success. The hotel is well situated on the edge of this very walkable downtown and it is connected to the very nice city center mall. The entrance and lobby area speak both quality and warmth. My room was on an upper floor and it was first rate. The bed was extra comfy and all amenities were consistent with what I expect when staying in a major brand hotel in a downtown setting. One thought - my room was on the north side of the hotel and I heard more freeway noise (I95 is very close) then I'd prefer. I'd think selecting a room on the south side might be the better idea? Regardless - I'd highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: South side rooms may be quieter than north side rooms due to freeway noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2013

It was a great area to stay for the conference.
Attached to the conference center and a mall with some great shops and dining.

The staff was friendly and the room was clean and comfy.
I would stay again and recommend the Omni Providence.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Omni Providence and found the location convenient. Thank you for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor and we hope for a future opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is a nice hotel in the middle of Providence. You can walk to nearly anywhere you would want to go in the town. The staff is incredibly friendly and will go out of their way to help you.

Now that I've said the good, here's why it only received 4 stars. Parking is $18 a night which is a quite the price for downtown Providence. I've paid less at beachside resorts. Also, my room, albeit clean, seemed a bit dingy from overuse. The carpets were stained, the moldings chipped, paint looked aged and the light in my shower flickered on and off. This hotel is in need of going over.

That said, I'd still recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I generally will give business-class hotels in the Omni-Westin-Hilton category a Very Good rating if they provide the superior experience that such hotels promise, but don't happen to offer something exceptional that would incent me to fill in the extra circle, or have some shortcoming that would cause me to dip further town into the category choices. I stayed in this hotel two nights while attending a nearby conference, and it fulfills my requirements for the rating I've given. I also like to take walking tours in cities I've not visited before (or often; I've been in Providence before, but it's been awhile), and this hotel is centrally located for ones I found on the Internet.

Though I can't comment on value since the hotel bill was covered directly by the conference, my experience here was good, and I would definitely put this hotel on my list of places to consider for a return trip to the city.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We knew we wanted to stay right in downtown Providence so we could walk everywhere we went for the weekend. Based on this we choose the cheapest hotel meeting that criteria on Priceline's Express Deals and were so happy that we ended up at the Omni. Valet parking was easy, the staff at reception was friendly and explained their rewards program thoroughly (getting us both in-room Wi-Fi and room service drinks in the morning for free), our room was very clean, spacious, and very importantly, very quiet. We went to the gym and my husband, who travels a lot for work, was very impressed by the size and quality of machines. I would highly recommend the Omni.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
PRVOMNIMANAGER, Manager at Omni Providence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Omni Providence and found the location convenient. Thank you for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back.