“Friendly staff, but upkeep is lacking”

Omni Providence Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Pasadena, California
“Friendly staff, but upkeep is lacking”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is a nice hotel in the middle of Providence. You can walk to nearly anywhere you would want to go in the town. The staff is incredibly friendly and will go out of their way to help you.

Now that I've said the good, here's why it only received 4 stars. Parking is $18 a night which is a quite the price for downtown Providence. I've paid less at beachside resorts. Also, my room, albeit clean, seemed a bit dingy from overuse. The carpets were stained, the moldings chipped, paint looked aged and the light in my shower flickered on and off. This hotel is in need of going over.

That said, I'd still recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I generally will give business-class hotels in the Omni-Westin-Hilton category a Very Good rating if they provide the superior experience that such hotels promise, but don't happen to offer something exceptional that would incent me to fill in the extra circle, or have some shortcoming that would cause me to dip further town into the category choices. I stayed in this hotel two nights while attending a nearby conference, and it fulfills my requirements for the rating I've given. I also like to take walking tours in cities I've not visited before (or often; I've been in Providence before, but it's been awhile), and this hotel is centrally located for ones I found on the Internet.

Though I can't comment on value since the hotel bill was covered directly by the conference, my experience here was good, and I would definitely put this hotel on my list of places to consider for a return trip to the city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We knew we wanted to stay right in downtown Providence so we could walk everywhere we went for the weekend. Based on this we choose the cheapest hotel meeting that criteria on Priceline's Express Deals and were so happy that we ended up at the Omni. Valet parking was easy, the staff at reception was friendly and explained their rewards program thoroughly (getting us both in-room Wi-Fi and room service drinks in the morning for free), our room was very clean, spacious, and very importantly, very quiet. We went to the gym and my husband, who travels a lot for work, was very impressed by the size and quality of machines. I would highly recommend the Omni.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PRVOMNIMANAGER, Manager at Omni Providence Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Omni Providence and found the location convenient. Thank you for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We came down from boston to look at a dog and decided to stay the weekend. We booked on Priceline and the room was a great value. Staff was friendly and the room was clean and somewhat nice. The hotel is a little dated but is right on downtown. Providence is really a pretty crappy area though. We are surprised how run down everything was. The omni charges 10$ for wifi so that was super lame and so 5years ago.

• Stayed July 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed at the Omni for a conference, as it was the conference recommended hotel I didn't really choose it, but I was pleasantly surprised!
Starting with the basics: the room is very big with a huge bathroom (room 1911), and everything is spotless. The staff were super-nice & quick to respond to any request.
I signed up for their complimentary "Select Guest" membership program prior to arrival and got a room upgrade without asking for one. It also gives you free wireless internet throughout the hotel (room included) and a complimentary beverage delivered to your door in the morning at your time of choosing. Yep -- a pot of coffee delivered to your door when you wake up! GREAT touch, really made my stay.
I took a look around the fitness center and was impressed by the size -- didn't get a chance to use it though.
No problem with the elevators -- really quick up & down 20 floors and no wait.
Regarding location -- if you're there for a conference/convention it's perfect -- the hotel is directly connected to the Convention Center without going outside (and to the nextdoor mall too, which is also convenient). Not only that but the hotel is walking distance from the anywhere we wanted to be in Providence outside the conference -- cafes, restaurants, bars etc. (and good ones) are all minutes away. No noise from the highway -- I was on a high floor though.
The only 2 complaints I have is that the wireless was weak in most of the room (although there was also a wired option which worked great and was also complimentary) and that the AC unit was a bit loud and was slow to respond when I tried to change the temperature. But overall this hardly affected my stay and would definitely look to stay at an Omni next time I travel.

Room Tip: high floor = no highway noise corner room 1911 was big and had a huge bathroom
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Omni hotels bill themselves as luxury hotels. Unfortunately, not everything fit the luxury hotel moniker this hotel would like to have.

First, the good. The staff were courteous and helpful when I interacted, though slightly confused about a few things. I wonder how many of them were held over from the Westin-Omni switch and how many of them were new hires.

The location is excellent. It's just a few minutes to the historic parts of Providence or to countless good restaurants. If you're attending a convention, you can't possibly get any closer to the convention center unless you sleep in it, and I'm sure they don't encourage that. The fitness center is huge and very well-maintained. No broken-down elliptical machines stuffed in a corner here!

Now, the less than good. My room was comfortable, but the heat and A/C turned itself on and off randomly even after I had turned the controller off at the wall. My bathroom door had hit the shower rod so many times that the paint was chipping off, the bathroom light fixtures flickered on and off, the toilet and sink gurgled alarmingly at times, and my desk chair could not be adjusted.

The morning beverage delivery is a perk I really like about Omni hotels. Unfortunately, they delivered my beverage to the wrong room one morning and forgot sweeteners another morning. Fortunately the in-room coffee maker had sugar packets.

Overall, it wasn't as good as other Omnis I've stayed at.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
PRVOMNIMANAGER, Manager at Omni Providence Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
It was disappointing for us to read that your stay at the Omni Providence did not meet your expectations. As evidenced by our many reviews, we do our best to provide our guests with exceptional stays and apologize that in your case, we missed the mark. If you return please let us know if you have any concerns so that we may immediately address them. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope for a future opportunity to serve you.
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The staff was helpful (despite a baggage handler breaking a luggage strap), everything is new and smells nice, and the free services rounded out the experience. The proximity to both Federal Hill and Downtown Providence was very, very convenient.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family