“Providence Biltmore”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Austin, Texas
“Providence Biltmore”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Not enough value for the price. The room was ok, and the service was ok, but not worth the money. It was a WaterFire night and the fireworks kept us up very late. The service at McCormick & Schimdt for breakfast was terrible, we walked out after 10 minutes without being served or greeted.

Room Tip: Very loud on WaterFire night.
1 Thank Marianne386
Jeffrey L, Manager at Providence Biltmore, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
I appreciate that you took the time to review our property. Our team thrives on our guest feedback and need it in order to grow and excel. I am sorry that your expectations were not met during your recent visit. We are always pushing to raise the bar and exceed our guests needs and expectation. I hate to think that we fell short during your experience.

I am also sorry that the restaurant was unable to provide you with the service you desired and deserved. I will be sure to bring your review to the attention of the restaurant team as well as our own to ensure these instances are minimized and eliminated.

If you would allow, I would love to invite you back to the Biltmore. I would like to personally handle your reservation and give you the five star service that we strive to provide and that you should have received. I am leaving you with my direct line so that we may speak in person and I can show you that the Biltmore is worth every penny on your next stay.

Thank you for your honest feedback and I cannot wait to speak to you soon.

Direct line: 401-455-3160

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My family of four spent the night toward the end of June, and found The Providence Biltmore Hotel an excellent property. The room was well above standard-- with plenty of space, an (actually) separate sitting area with sink and fridge, and a nice big bathroom. We were able to walk to dinner, and to the park along the river. Also, the hotel is just a 15 minute walk up the hill to Brown.
We thought the place was awfully nice, and a good value. I would've given the fifth star, but thought the front desk needed a little more training. A couple of the staff seemed not to know the answers to questions that should've been anticipated, and that didn't make a great first impression. We'd definitely stay here again, in any case.

3 Thank Jwaterdock
Jeffrey L, Manager at Providence Biltmore, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Thank you for the great review. We are continually working and training to ensure each guest feels confident leaving us the fifth star. It is great to read that you enjoyed the size and space that the Junior Suite offers and that our location was the perfect base for you to explore Providence.

We look forward to your return trip when we can showcase the strides our team is making. It is my goal for you to return and feel that only a five star review will suffice.

Thank you so much for the great feedback. I hope to see you soon.

Cathedral City, California
Reviewed June 30, 2014

The hotel has been updated very well and with much attention to detail. All of the staff were unfailingly helpful and friendly. Little things slightly marred our stay: dirty room service trays in the hallway for up to 12 hours and bags of room linens left around for hours. Sometimes the valet was very slow to bring our car around, even when they weren't very busy. Our room was very nice and spacious, bathroom smallish but well appointed. The hotel is in a great location and is pretty pricey. All in all we enjoyed the hotel and the city.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

I have never stayed in a hotel with worse customer service, and I have stayed in innumerable hotels. First of all, arriving from the airport at 3pm, we were told we had to pay a surprise $28 fee for valet, or park in an "unaffiliated" lot for $20 per day (but the parking garage says "the Biltmore"). Then, they wouldn't let us check in, and we had to leave our luggage until after 4pm although we were given a strict 11am checkout time (we had reservations too). When we returned, it easily took 30 minutes after checking in to retreive our luggage. Also, we have to note the room service plates from adjacent rooms with obvious breakfast food is still in the hallway at 11pm. For this price I'd rather stay 2 nights in another hotel, I bet the service would be way better.

• Stayed June 2014
8 Thank Sara W
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take great pride in our hotel and use feedback such as yours to better ourselves and improve for the future. With that, I am sorry that your experience was less than exceptional. One of the unfortunate parts about staying in a city hotel is that parking is an additional cost. The hotels in the direct city center of Providence do not have the luxury of space for a parking lot to offer free parking to the guests. Many of the hotels including ours lease space from the neighboring garage which is privately owned.

I also apologize that we did not have a room available for you to check in before our scheduled arrival time. The Biltmore has a 4pm check-in time for its guests and happily checks its guests in as soon as a room is available. We have that set time so we can ensure you are given the best possible room and that it is in perfect condition.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to return to our city so that I may bring you back and ensure your stay exceeds your expectation. I'd like to offer you my direct line so I may personally arrange your reservation and win you over.

I look forward to speaking with you.

401-455-3160
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Very large and comfortable rooms, very centrally located, a super friendly and welcoming staff. The bathrooms were a bit small and depressing. The fitness facility was under construction during our visit, but the hotel had worked out a nice arrangement with a local sports club. The prices were quite reasonable. I highly recommend it.

2 Thank Stephen F
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Hotel has been lovingly updated to resemble its glory days of long ago. The details in the room are amazing reproductions from padded bed headboards to other art-deco type of ornaments. Romantic, very clean, nice front desk help

Room Tip: My room looked over a parking lot but the windows could open to let in the fresh Spring air - a plus...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank PurpleHydrangea
Londonderry, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I don't mind old hotels.... if they have adapted to the times. Biltmore has done nicely in room renovation aspect, but still lack due to minor oversights.

The biggest problem I had was with the ID cards to enter the room. First off, the card reader lever-set on the door was loose, and the door was warped and had too many layers of paint to close on its own. I had to push on the door to exit, and pull on the door to enter(yes Push to exit, because the door didn't close flush...so I had to push to free the latch of friction...). The door would stay open if I didn't forcefully push it closed at night. I'm not picky, so it didn't bother me. What bothered me most was the fact that we stayed for 2 nights and went through 9 ID cards.... they kept getting de-activated, and I'd be standing in front of my door 12 floors up only to have to go all the way back down, because both of my ID cards weren't working! Very frustrating and inexcusable this day in age, never had that problem before, but it happened 9 times at the Biltmore. Front desk staff didn't help either, suggesting I was de-magnetizing the card... "did you place it close to a cell phone or other credit card?" Are you kidding me... I have to separate my ID card with all my other essential items? They lost a point right at that moment for such comments! Like I said, you're an old hotel, but if you're not with the times on BASIC needs, such as room access/security, then you lose favor in my eyes. I've stayed in plenty of old hotels, some a lot older than the Biltmore, and they've all had ID room cards, and I've never had a problem, so no excuse as far as I'm concerned!

Pros:
Junior Suite was very spacious
70 something Cable channels, including six HBO Channels
Two TV's in Junior Suite
Newly Renovated
Comfy Bed

Cons:
- ID card issues
- Bathroom was tiny, toilet was too close to wall.
- Door knobs inside suite, had to be 40+ year old door hardware, if not original, but I hoped they weren't the ones from the roaring 20's.
- "The Shining type" OLD hallways, creepy as heck.
- Parking, 1 hour is $8, but daily is $20... so don't go in and out at the garage!
- Thin Windows, can hear everything outside, random people yelling at night.
- I just don't like Providence, the whole entire city rubbed me the wrong way, I'm glad to be home!!!

Room Tip: Junior Suite is very big, which relieved frustration from other issues.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business