“Authentic Italian Bakery”

Neighborhood: Federal Hill
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Authentic Italian Bakery”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Like the ones your Grandmother used to take you to. Very few of them left, in Providence or elsewhere. Everything is good, from cookies to cakes to the breads, you can't go wrong.

Maryland
“Authentic Italian Bakery on Federal Hill”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Anytime I fly into Providence I make sure that I stop at Scialo Brothers Bakery - coming and going if I can. I grew up in an Italian American family and this bakery always brings me back to my childhood - the cakes, the cookies, the overall atmosphere. I just love coming to this bakery. They open at 8am and I'm usually there early in the morning to stock up before I head to Cape Cod for a few days. I usually know exactly what I want but I really take my time just to hang around there a bit and soak in the memories.

My favorite things to buy there are the cookies - and among those my favorite are the fig bars. Don't miss these; you will love them. I also like the macaroons as they are very soft and chewy. This bakery also has sesame cookies which are very traditional and not very easy to find everywhere. You can buy cookies by the pound and also specify the kinds you want in your pound. However, baskets on the counters hold each kind of cookie offered in small bags of 4 each so you can also just pick out your favorites and put together your own cookie tray - prices are the same either way.

I also always purchase a couple of bags of bread sticks when I'm there and my favorite are the spicy kind - they are addictive and great for snacking or to eat with soup or salad later in the day. I usually bring a bag home with me and then ration myself over the next week because I love them so much.

Overall the prices are a bit high in my opinion but I see this as a chance to get something I can't get anywhere else. On my last trip to Providence I saw someone on my flight that I'd seen earlier that morning at Scialo Brothers, so I don't think I'm the only one who makes a stop to and from Greene Airport!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank HistoryLover2017
Boston, Massachusetts
“Scialo bakes the best”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Besides everything else you're going to buy in this bakery, be sure to get a couple of wine biscuits, too. At home later this evening, over some Chianti or a Pinot Noir, you'll be glad you did.

Portsmouth, Rhode Island
“Old World Bakery”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is the real deal. Everything is mad from scratch and baked fresh every day. If your on "The Hill" you must stop here!

Providence, Rhode Island
“The best sponge cake”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I often go their for desserts,they have the best sponge cake several different kinds all of them good their pies are excellent they also make small ones which is very convenient their biscotti are famous,I call that place a life saver when company comes or I go to visit a friend just go their and my problems are solved,very good cakes ll freshly made also good Italian bread and cookies.

Visited May 2013