“Great winter getaway”

Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Centrally located, friendly and clean - perfect for a two night stop-over.

The Renaissance is set in an ideal location, with an amazing view across to the State Building, a short walk to downtown and only a 5 minute walk to the train station.

The staff were very friendly and helpful providing directions / points of interest for our short stay. The room was also very clean and spacious (as were all aspects of the hotel). Would certainly return.

Stayed: December 2013
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Thank-you for staying with us and your wonderful observations about our staff and how helpful they are. We are centrally located and it is fabulous that you were able to get out and discover a number of areas that make the city of Providence such a unique destination. We look forward to your future stays with us.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,366)

Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Would've been nice to be assisted with my bags when I arrived by taxi. But that was a minor. Really great service at the front desk, friendly and attentive. Room was Spanish and a good temperature. Good quality bedding and towels, and excellent toiletries-all Aveda soaps and lotions. You can see downtown from the hill so it's a great location for scoping the city. Providence is not grid so this was helpful. Very close to the train station! Close to the mall, chain restaurants and a CVS. I'll stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank-you for discovering our hotel and your helpful observations. Fabulous that you enjoyed our rooms and amenities as well as our location. We look forward to your future stays to help you discover more about what makes our hotel and our city so unique.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Had 5 nights in this hotel whilst visiting family in Johnston, RI. Staff were helpful from the moment we arrived, even providing us with a complementary coffee arrival. Had a gorgeous meal in the contemporary decorated restaurant, and drinks in the bar on another night. Disappointed with the snacks we ordered in the bar. Beds comfy, would def go back.

Room Tip: Not ideal view from our room, overlooking mall
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Thank-you for discovering our hotel and your loyalty in staying with us 5 nights while visiting family in Johnston, RI. Wonderful to hear that our staff were helpful from the moment you arrived, even providing you with a complimentary coffee arrival. Fabulous you enjoyed your meal and will pass on your feedback to the chef in Public Kitchen and Bar about your dining experiences. Look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

This has easily become my go-to hotel for business in Providence. I returned for a second stay after an excellent experience in November 2012. I will admit that at first this could have been quite a negative stay, but the attentive staff turned it around. I was disappointed with the room I was assigned at check-in as it was no larger than a standard room and had no view. My platinum status afforded me a much better room last year, but for a 2-night stay I was not going to complain. However, before calling it a night I did notice a housekeeping issue that led me to call the front desk. Their response was to offer me the presidential suite for my two night stay. Let's just say most people will never live in a home as nice as this suite over the course of their lifetime. It would take too long and honestly probably not be a good use of space to give an in-depth description of the suite as most will not experience it (and I probably never will again). The point is that the attention the staff paid to me as a customer speaks volumes for how they value customers.

Beyond that absolutely spectacular accommodations, the concierge lounge is one of the larger and more well appointed at any Marriott property. In addition to the normal breakfast and hors d'ouvres service, they offer huge containers of candy and snacks throughout the day. There are comfortable seating areas both at tables and couches.

The location is another plus. It's no more than a 5 minute walk to the Providence Place mall and other downtown Providence attractions. It's directly across the street from the State House as well and many rooms have great views of the capitol.

If there is one complaint I have, it would be that I left my smartphone charger in the room and called the hotel as soon as I realize this - later the day I checked out. I was transferred to security and left a detailed messages with the exact location and physical description of the charger, but never heard back. It's a relatively inexpensive android micro usb charger so I did not follow up, but if it were an apple charger I would have been quite a bit more peeved.

All in all, I won't stay anywhere else in Providence.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the State House.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thank-you for your fabulous feedback. It is wonderful that you took the time to give us such a detailed description of your experience. I would also like to thank-you for your loyalty to our hotel and please call me personally so I can assist with that missing charger. Once again, thank-you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed there during a water-fire-event and it was really nice. We loved the way they welcomed us, the room was huge and lovely decorated and the location was perfect. We had a beer before we left for dinner and the restaurant and bar area is very cozy and cool both ways. We had dinner at Hemenways which was awesome and the event itself was wonderful. Only the room-service breakfast could be improved - otherwise it was really worth the trip!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank-you for your wonderful feedback and we are happy that you discovered our hotel. Water Fire is a fabulous event and a great time to visit Providence. We look forward to your future stays with us.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

My husband and I booked this room for our wedding night and couldn't be happier. We had an amazing room with a view of the state house. The only complaint that I have is we booked the couples package which included free breakfast, however they forgot to bring the vouchers up to the room. It wasn't a super big deal because at checkout they credited our account for the amount of the voucher.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank-you for your wonderful comments and best wishes to you and your husband on your wedding. I apologize that we did not have your vouchers delivered to your room but thankful that our team did react and we recovered to your satisfaction. We look forward to your future visits to our hotel.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

This was my second time staying at this property. Very comfortable rooms, very clean. The concierge lounge was beautiful and the breakfast high quality. The gym is also very spacious, which isn't always the case at hotels. The location is good with all kinds of restaurants and shops around.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank-you for discovering our hotel once again and your wonderful comments. We look forward to your next visit so that we can spend additional time in showing you what makes the city of Providence and our hotel such a wonderful place to visit and stay.