“Rust colored bath water & dead fly in salad”

Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Providence
“Rust colored bath water & dead fly in salad”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I am a Marriott Rewards member so I usually feel safe with the group hotels by my stay on Thanksgiving was just horrible. For some reason the warm water in the bath was iron oxide colored and a dead fly was in a salad order for room service....after I complained, they did not charge for salad, but received no follow up on the bath water issue....will stay away from this hotel...very disappointed. Only good thing is the downtown location. Otherwise would never go back. Btw, they also charge $28 for parking.

• Stayed November 2012
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank-you for your feedback and your loyalty as a Marriott Rewards Member. I apologize for your challenges and have reviewed your feedback with our GM of Food and Beverage and he would love to have you back to regain your confidence in our product, the items you discussed are obviously not our standard. In discussions with our Chief Engineer about the hot water, this was an isolated instance and a result of the high mineral content in the water being heated. Our water supply brought into the hotel is always monitored and I can assure you always safe for use. Please contact me directly so that I can have the opportunity to regain your confidence in our services.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 29, 2012

bed comfortable, nice deep bathtub. Comfortable recliner in room along with usable desk. Staff great, even though I was a Priceline 'name your price' customer. The bed covering was too heavy and warm, even with room thermostat set to 68. One light blanket was in the room the first night, but it wasn't enough. When I asked, they quickly and happily supplied another light blanket, which did the trick. And then they made the bed without the quilt - very sharp adjustment by the chambermaid.

The bathroom had French doors, w/light switch outside the bath. When used at night, the light woke one of us up - luxury that screwed up sleep. Giant headboard with ornate symbol on it - but the symbol looked like plastic, and the headboards were fastened to the wall - just the appearance of luxury,not the reality.

Wi-Fi cost $10-$11/day extra, of course. An insult, even though it was expected. No coffee in the lobby. But it was $58/day in downtown Providence, within walking distance of my destination, so I'm not complaining. Well, I guess I am....

1 Thank Phil B
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank-you for your comments, we truly appreciate them. It is fabulous that you rated us a four on Trip Advisor even though you do not consider yourself a 4 star hotel customer. We are proud of our luxury positioning in the market and our 4 star rating. Hopefully we will see you again soon and win you over as a 4 star guest.
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Despite paying full price, my room was located next to where the maid's carts are stored. The carts are noisy and there was almost continuous noise which prevented me from sleeping well. I have stayed in the Renaissance multiple times, and this was by far the worst experience I have had there. Management did nothing to help remedy the situation. Rather than risking one of the bad rooms and accompanying poor service, stay in another hotel.

Room Tip: Request not to be located near maid cart room, and there is no fan in the bathroom so mirrors are un...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Daniel D
Thank-you for your feedback. We do have linen rooms on the floors to accomodate our guests. I apologize that your room on this visit was near one of our linen rooms and that disturbed your sleep. As we have not heard this concern previously from any of our guests, I would recommend that if you are a light sleeper please request a room away from the linen rooms. Many of our guests request rooms away from the elevators, etc because they are light sleepers and any activity disturbs their sleep. I would also suggest that you do this with any hotel stay in the future as all hotels do have linen rooms. Hope this will help you in future stays and once again thank-you for your visit and feedback.
Littleton, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed overnight in this hotel during the Cheer Regionals. The hotel was very nice and clean. The front desk very helpful and friendly. Valet's were waiting by the door to assist us and were very helpful. The hotel is older so not as quiet as I would have liked especially in the morning. Not sure if it was the maids or maintenance but they weren't exactly quiet on the hallway at 6:00am. Other than that the beds were very comfortable and the room was large with 2 double beds. Room service brought up a sandwich for my daughter after hours within minutes. Very thankful for the quick service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank-you for your comments and your visit to our wonderful city. We do appreciate that you found our accomodations, staff and service to your liking. I am happy to hear that we were able to accomodate your service requests and hopefully we will see you again when your travels bring you back to Providence.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My family traveled to Providence over the Thanksgiving weekend.
The Renaissance is located within 5-15 minutes of wonderful restaurants, the Mall and a movie theater. A great city and a wonderful hotel with a very attentive staff. Perfect !

Room Tip: Ask for a Capitol view room. The first floor is actually the best !
1 Thank mamalab
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank-you for your visit over the Thanksgiving weekend. We are happy that you discovered our hotel and that you found our staff accomodating and that our location helped you explore our wonderful city and all it has to offer. We look forward to being of service in the near future.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The decoration in the hotel is wonderful, tastefully mixing old elements from the masonic origins of the building with modern art. The rooms were perfect. My kind of city luxury hotels! And of course the location is unbeatable. I am ultra sensitive to noise and could not detect the faintest humm from the nearby highway.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for discovering our hotel and for your fabulous comments. We appreciate that you found our hotel exceeded your expectations and look forward to being of service in the near future.
Beverly, ma
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Two of my best friends and I booked the Renaissance Providence Hotel for a "girls weekend" away. The hotel itself is fine and in a great location - but the service was terrible. Upon check-in at the hotel at 9:00 pm on a Friday night, our party found out that even though we had booked a room with two queen beds - they only had a king sized bed available. We were fine with this and asked them to please send up a roll-away cot. The front desk assured us that we would have a cot immediately as we explained we were exhausted. We were not offered a luggage cart for our bags or any assistance to our room.
At 9:30 pm the cot still had not arrived so we politely called down to the front desk and were assured that the cot was on its way up. At 10:00 pm we still had not received the cot and called AGAIN and were told they would check on the cot and send it immediately. At 10:30 pm we were livid and exhausted and had to walk down to the front desk to find out that - THERE WERE NO COTS AVAILABLE! Why didn't the front desk tell us this? Did they hope we would just fall asleep on the floor? We were livid... We were offered another room two floors away for one of us to sleep in for the night - which solved the sleeping problem but put a damper on the point of 3 great friends spending a weekend together catching-up.
On Saturday evening we had to AGAIN call the front desk and ask for a roll-away cot because one had not been provided for. No management had followed-up with us about our previous evenings problems... nothing was said. We went to dinner and returned at 9:30 to indeed find a cot in our room. We unfolded the linens that were provided and found a pillow, a sheet and a thin, old, over-used blanket. We called the front desk and asked if we could have a comforter sent up because the blanket provided was too thin and unacceptable. The front desk assured me that a blanket would be sent. At 10:00 pm no blanket had been provided. Again - we were exhausted. We called down again and asked if a blanket could please be sent up immediately - or if we could come down and retrieve one... (how sad is that? we were willing to walk to housekeeping and get a blanket? We might as well have gone to the in-room dining kitchen and made a snack while we were at it). The front desk assured me the blanket would be at our door in 2 minutes. I timed it - 10 minutes later - an identical, scratchy, nasty, well-used blanket showed up at our door. We politely refused it. I put on my shoes and AGAIN went down to the front desk at 10:45 pm to speak with them about the service problems. I stood there while 3 people called 3 other people to try and retrieve a blanket! It was ridiculous. Why didn't the manager walk to housekeeping - get a blanket - apologize and send me on my way? It's hospitality 101!
After 15 more minutes of lost sleep and shivering in the lobby - I was given a comforter that was acceptable. I asked the front desk to please note that I would be looking for a discount on our bill upon check-out because I can stay at my own home for free and retrieve my own linens.
I could go on and on and on... but the moral of the story is that this hotel has a serious service communication breakdown. Their job is to accommodate guests. They did nothing but cause me to lose precious sleep.
I would love a response from the management regarding this review... I would love to know why I was standing in their freezing cold lobby two nights in a row 2 hours past when I wanted to be asleep begging them for blankets and a bed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sarah B
Thank-you for your feedback and I would like to apologize for the circumstances you encountered during your stay with us. Although we do try to honor requests for room types, king room versus a double room, unfortunately it is not always possible. It is then our responsibility to do whatever we can to accomodate our guests so that they have a pleasurable experience no matter what, supply them with a rollaway cot, etc. No explanation will suffice as to why you encountered the challenges you communicated, these challenges are not acceptable and should never occur and I can assure you that they are an anomaly at our hotel.I would appreciate if you reach out to me personally so that I can do whatever necessary to regain your confidence. We are consistently rated #1 on Trip Advisor for our outstanding service and I would like the opportunity to show you why we are. Once again my sincere apology.