“Great front desk assistance and recommendations. It's a wonderful walking city and the hotel is perfectly located.”

Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My family traveled to Providence over the Thanksgiving weekend.
The Renaissance is located within 5-15 minutes of wonderful restaurants, the Mall and a movie theater. A great city and a wonderful hotel with a very attentive staff. Perfect !

Room Tip: Ask for a Capitol view room. The first floor is actually the best !
1  Thank Laura L
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Thank-you for your visit over the Thanksgiving weekend. We are happy that you discovered our hotel and that you found our staff accomodating and that our location helped you explore our wonderful city and all it has to offer. We look forward to being of service in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,383)

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The decoration in the hotel is wonderful, tastefully mixing old elements from the masonic origins of the building with modern art. The rooms were perfect. My kind of city luxury hotels! And of course the location is unbeatable. I am ultra sensitive to noise and could not detect the faintest humm from the nearby highway.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank-you for discovering our hotel and for your fabulous comments. We appreciate that you found our hotel exceeded your expectations and look forward to being of service in the near future.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Two of my best friends and I booked the Renaissance Providence Hotel for a "girls weekend" away. The hotel itself is fine and in a great location - but the service was terrible. Upon check-in at the hotel at 9:00 pm on a Friday night, our party found out that even though we had booked a room with two queen beds - they only had a king sized bed available. We were fine with this and asked them to please send up a roll-away cot. The front desk assured us that we would have a cot immediately as we explained we were exhausted. We were not offered a luggage cart for our bags or any assistance to our room.
At 9:30 pm the cot still had not arrived so we politely called down to the front desk and were assured that the cot was on its way up. At 10:00 pm we still had not received the cot and called AGAIN and were told they would check on the cot and send it immediately. At 10:30 pm we were livid and exhausted and had to walk down to the front desk to find out that - THERE WERE NO COTS AVAILABLE! Why didn't the front desk tell us this? Did they hope we would just fall asleep on the floor? We were livid... We were offered another room two floors away for one of us to sleep in for the night - which solved the sleeping problem but put a damper on the point of 3 great friends spending a weekend together catching-up.
On Saturday evening we had to AGAIN call the front desk and ask for a roll-away cot because one had not been provided for. No management had followed-up with us about our previous evenings problems... nothing was said. We went to dinner and returned at 9:30 to indeed find a cot in our room. We unfolded the linens that were provided and found a pillow, a sheet and a thin, old, over-used blanket. We called the front desk and asked if we could have a comforter sent up because the blanket provided was too thin and unacceptable. The front desk assured me that a blanket would be sent. At 10:00 pm no blanket had been provided. Again - we were exhausted. We called down again and asked if a blanket could please be sent up immediately - or if we could come down and retrieve one... (how sad is that? we were willing to walk to housekeeping and get a blanket? We might as well have gone to the in-room dining kitchen and made a snack while we were at it). The front desk assured me the blanket would be at our door in 2 minutes. I timed it - 10 minutes later - an identical, scratchy, nasty, well-used blanket showed up at our door. We politely refused it. I put on my shoes and AGAIN went down to the front desk at 10:45 pm to speak with them about the service problems. I stood there while 3 people called 3 other people to try and retrieve a blanket! It was ridiculous. Why didn't the manager walk to housekeeping - get a blanket - apologize and send me on my way? It's hospitality 101!
After 15 more minutes of lost sleep and shivering in the lobby - I was given a comforter that was acceptable. I asked the front desk to please note that I would be looking for a discount on our bill upon check-out because I can stay at my own home for free and retrieve my own linens.
I could go on and on and on... but the moral of the story is that this hotel has a serious service communication breakdown. Their job is to accommodate guests. They did nothing but cause me to lose precious sleep.
I would love a response from the management regarding this review... I would love to know why I was standing in their freezing cold lobby two nights in a row 2 hours past when I wanted to be asleep begging them for blankets and a bed.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sarah B

Thank-you for your feedback and I would like to apologize for the circumstances you encountered during your stay with us. Although we do try to honor requests for room types, king room versus a double room, unfortunately it is not always possible. It is then our responsibility to do whatever we can to accomodate our guests so that they have a pleasurable experience no matter what, supply them with a rollaway cot, etc. No explanation will suffice as to why you encountered the challenges you communicated, these challenges are not acceptable and should never occur and I can assure you that they are an anomaly at our hotel.I would appreciate if you reach out to me personally so that I can do whatever necessary to regain your confidence. We are consistently rated #1 on Trip Advisor for our outstanding service and I would like the opportunity to show you why we are. Once again my sincere apology.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed 3 nights and used as a base to explore providence and Newport. Unlike other reviewers we felt the hotel was more suited to business and convention guests than holiday guests. The restaurant and bar looks well designed but were empty and soulless. The main restaurant areas of town are a considerable walk away (other chain hotels re better located). Valet car parking worked well but is expensive and there did not seem to be any any other parking options. Our room was clean and comfortable but a little small and dark even with the lights on.

Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Jonathan T

Thank-you for your comments and appreciate all opinions about our hotel and style. We are centrally located in the historic Capitol District, a walk away from many of the areas that make Providence a wonderful place to visit. Our uniquness of style and product does seperate us from the normal hotel chain product, focusing on creating an atmosphere more experiential then transactional. Orchestrating proper mood lighting,music and scent are keys to creating a sensory experience for our guests and that is a main focus of our team. I am sorry that you visited us during a more subdued period in Temple Restaurant, it is great place to visit when it is packed and energized as well as during quiet times. Hopefully, we will see you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

It was a dad-daughter overnight, and even with use of points, accomodations and service were more than up to standards for a Renaissance property. Valet and check-in were seemless, and as others have sugegsted, asking for a view of the Rhode Island State House produced the desired results - a terrific view of the state capitol building. We had pre-requested a two-bed room, and were assigned a beautiful Queen-Queen. My daughter used the seventh-floor exercise facility and reported that it was clean and well-equipped. We enjoyed brunch the next morning, and found the service and food quality of a typical Sunday Brunch setup more than satisfactory. Overall, we were very pleased, would return, and highly recommend the Renaissance to others.

Room Tip: To avoid hallway noise during busy event weekends, one might want to request a room on the far side...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank-you for your fabulous comments. It is wonderful to hear that we were able to create a great experience for you and your daughter. Your comments about your experience in Temple are much appreciated and I will ensure I share your feedback with our team.We look forward to being of service in the near future.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

No other hotel as unique in Providence. Rooms are great with super-comfortable bed, linens, pillows. Very, very nice modern bathroom. Temple Bar maybe the coolest bar in the City but the mixed drinks are not good. The food and the service is good; not inexpensive and not the best place to eat in Providence but worth trying.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank-you for your feedback and your recognition of the unique character of our hotel.Next time you are in Temple please ask for Vincent, our GM of Food and Beverage, and he will personally make you one of our fabulous cocktails. We look forward to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed one night at the Renaissance during a family weekend at Providence College and were very happy with our stay. The staff is very helpful and accommodating. We had a room with a king bed and it was very spacious, clean, comfortable and quiet. We'd asked ahead of time for a rollaway bed for our youngest and had to call a couple of times to have it delivered once we checked in but they delivered it before dinnertime so that was alright. The only negative experience during our stay was retrieving our car from the valet on Saturday night. The valet staff had warned us that there were many events going on in the area and to call 25 minutes ahead for the car. We called 30 minutes ahead and still had to wait an additional 30 minutes before our car was finally brought out. We were late for our dinner reservations but thankfully the restaurant was not full so it wasn't an issue. During our wait, the valet staff apologized, explained the reason for the delay and informed us they would waive the daily valet fee. Their behavior made you feel at ease and understanding of the situation, so I give the staff kudos.

All is all, a great hotel and will be my hotel of choice for future trips to Providence.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank-you for discovering our hotel and it is wonderful that you enjoyed your stay. It is fabulous that you found our staff helpful and accomodating and that the valet team responded to your concerns and exceeded your expectations.We appreciate your loyalty and hope to see you again when your visit Providence.