“Lovely hotel, exceeded expectations”

Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The Renaissance feels upscale and elegant. The lobby is beautiful, the staff at the front desk and friendly and professional. The rooms were well-furnished and very comfortable - the Aveda bath products (including mouth wash) were a nice bonus. I was upgraded to club room access which was an unexpected delight. The club room serves a complimentary breakfast in the morning, sodas/bottled waters in the afternoon and a limited but still impressive evening hors d'oeurve service starting around 5:30pm (dessert follows at 8pm - it was cheesecake the night I was there). Other hotels have similar services with much more variety but this was plenty. The location is terrific - downtown, about a 2 min walk from the new mall (with a Panera, Cheesecake Factory, PF Chang; Nordstrom too) and a short (~15-20 min) walk to Brown University/RISD. This was my first time in Providence and I was surprised by how much I liked the city. The Renaissance had a lot to do with that.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

It is fabulous to hear that we exceeded your expectations on your stay with us. Hopefully we were successful in introducing the Renaissance Providence to you and helping you discover why we are so unique. We look ahead to helping you discover more of what we have to offer in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel

Reviewed September 28, 2012

As many reviewers have mentioned the architecture of this hotel is beautiful (built in a former Masonic temple) and the location is as good as it gets! The valet is a bit pricey (based on the other garages we saw in the area) but it is extremely convenient and the staff is friendly and prompt.

The staff helped to facilitate a special room service delivery for my anniversary (although it took quite a bit longer than I would have hoped) but I appreciated all of their effort.

Overall a a great place to stay in Providence!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank-you for "Discovering" our hotel and our fabulous city. We are very proud of our history and the unique story that supports our service philosophy differentiating us from everyone else in the market. Thank-you once again for experiencing us.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

From the moment we checked in our experience was wonderful. We took the train from Boston and walked to the hotel. We got to the hotel early but were allowed to check into the room. Suzanne at the front desk was extremely pleasant and helpful. The room was large, bed was very comfortable and the toiletries are Aveda products. The hotel is within walking distance of the Mall, many restaurants, across the street from the State House and River Walk down the street. Great location, great service. Also, Temple Bar was great for the breakfast buffet. Great food and reasonably priced.

2  Thank brewstersmom01

Thank-you for your fabulous comments. We truly appreciate that you found our hotel exceeded your expectations and that you discovered our city and our property. We look ahaed to being of service to you in the near future.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night (he surprised me!) Celebration before the big Celebration for 25th Wedding Anniversary. Beautiful Clean rooms and great service. A little pricey for us but worth it!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank-you for staying with us and congratulations on your 25th Wedding Anniversary. It is fabulous that we are able to be part of your celebration and that you found our rooms to be wonderful and that our service exceeded your expectations. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to be of service to you in the near future.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

On our way back from Newport RI we wanted to stop for an evening in Providence to take a friend out to dinner and to explore the downtown area. Being loyal Marriott users we first explored Marriott choices and this hotel came up. The location was where we wanted it to be so we figured we would give it a shot. Although our visit was short (less than 24 hours), we were very happy with the accomodations and quite frankly pleasantly surprised. This hotel had so much more character than the typical Marriott. The lobby was beautiful, check in was quick and pleasant and the room was very nice. We had the most awesome view of the State Capitol building. The bed was comfortable. In the morning we went to the dining room for breakfast, not only was it delicious but far more moderately priced than most Marriotts. The service was very good. As a matter of fact we were impressed with the good service we received from everyone we came in contact with. Even though we are frequent travelers, for some reason I didn't realize that the Renaissance brand was a step above the typical Marriott. Based on our experience here we will try to stay in them whenever we have that as a choice.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the Capitol building
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Live Life to Discover! This is what the Reanissance Brand is about and you are a true discoverer ! Thank-you for discovering our hotel and the Renaissance Brand, we look forward to being of service to you in the future as you continue to explore our brand finding out what makes us so special.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Location was nice. Got a room facing the capital building which was awesome to take a look at everyday of the stay. Very nice facilities but the rooms were a little cramped and it would have been better if the windows were bigger. Would definitely stay here again, due to location and room.

• Stayed: June 2012

Thank-you for discovering our hotel and our fabulous location. I am happy to hear you received one of our capitol view rooms and enjoyed the magnificent views of our state capitol. Because our building is an historic restoration, we do have 46 unique room configuartions offering you a different discovery each time you stay with us. Hopefully we will see you again soon and help you discover more of what makes our hotel and our city so wonderful.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed at the renaissance in early august for a wedding, the rooms were set up so everyone attending the wedding would have a room. The manager Crystal was helping check us all in because of the many people checking in at the same time. She noticed that i am a upper level marriot rewards member and gave me a room upgrade because of this, i was envied by everyone in the wedding party because of the wonderful room i had with the gorgeous view of the state house and amenities that were sent up to me and my new wife. Everything was fine until the valet decided to drive my standard transmission car without any knowledge of knowing how to drive a simple 5-speed BMW. I requested my car and knew that something was wrong when 30 minutes went by and there was still no sign of the vehicle. I asked several valets what the situation was and received a different answer from every person, traffic, many "call downs" at the same time, location of the vehicle and another excuse that i can not think of at the time but was just as ridiculous as the previous. I then asked to speak with a manager when a young man named Keith claimed he was in charge of the valet operations came up to me wearing sunglasses and barking out rude orders to his hard working staff that really degraded these individuals. He seemed like he was more worried about his appearance than his customers that are allowing him to keep his job. He then told me to "hang on" while he checked the status of the vehicle. I then saw him use the phone and told a young woman something and started laughing. I knew there was something wrong at this point. About 10 minutes later, making the total wait time 40 minutes he came driving my vehicle up the hill. As soon as the vehicle came into sight i already smelled my transmission. I asked him what had happened and he told me that there seemed to be a problem with the engine and they are not responsible for engine malfunctions. This was not a malfunction on my 8 month old car this was an issue due to negligence of this individual not screening his employees. I could not believe that they would allow somebody to drive a vehicle that does not know what they are doing. I am currently in the process of working this situation out with their corporate office and they are very helpful, unlike their representative at this exquisite Marriott property.

Room Tip: Do NOT Valet, park in the mall yourself!! (it is where they stick the cars)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank peter b

Thank-you for your positive comments about our hotel and our staff and it is fabulous that you found our hotel "exquisite". I apologize that you hade an issue with our valet operators and I will ensure that I speak to them on your behalf to offer any assistance I may. Thank-you once again for your wonderful comments about our hotel.