“Fantastic hotel with great service!”

Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Atlanta, Georgia
“Fantastic hotel with great service!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Have stayed here several times and love it. Great rooms, interesting hotel across from the majestic RI state capitol. Staff went above and beyond to make me and my 10 year old son comfortable. Feels almost like a 5 star. Strong emphasis on service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Yanks_in_Dixie
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank-you for your continued loyalty. We truly appreciate your comments about our hotel and our staff and please feel free to reach out to me on your next visit so I can thank you personally.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Had to stay in providence unexpectedly and this hotel was recommended... I arrived and was extremely pleased to find it a fine hotel in the grand old style. It occupies the former main Masonic Temple adjacent to the Statehouse, so the lobby is large and high, and the entire feel of the place has a touch of grandeur. Our room was clean, spacious and nicely appointed, with an entrance hallway and a huge bath. There's a nice restaurant/club downstairs as well. Another unexpected pleasure was The Vets auditorium right next door, hosting the Rhode Island Film Festival. I believe they have music and theatre there the rest of the time. All in all, a very nice experience- will certainly stay again if ever in Rhode Island.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank-you for discovering our hotel. It is fabulous that you were extremely pleasd with our rooms and our staff. We are located right next store to the VETS which as you commented has many amazing performances and events. A night at the Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel and a performance at the Veteran's Memorial Auditorium makes for a fabulous night out ! Hopefuly we will see you again soon.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

I was here for 9 nights at the end of July, so I was really hoping this place was good, otherwise those 9 nights would have sucked! Luckily, it did not disappoint. The rooms were large and comfortable, the beds were fantastic, and everything was very nicely decorated. The staff were awesome, and dealt with all of our requests right away. Even the guy painting the baseboards in the hallway was very friendly.

The location was perfect, with lots of good restaurants within walking distance (you should try AS220 if you dont like chain restaurants, it was goood). Still, we ate at the Temple restaurant two nights, and each time the food was delicious (vegetable tagine was so so good, and the sausage pizza! Mm!), and the service was great.

My only complaints are that the valet parking is super expensive (you moved our truck 15 feet and want 30 bucks plus a tip?!) and the breakfast upstairs was only for the people on the club floor, which felt elitist, considering we're paying enough for the rooms as it is. And the wifi really should be included in a place like this, it's so silly that it's not considered standard in a four star hotel when most two stars have it available for their guests free of charge.

Anyways, stay here, you won't regret it. We had a great 9 days!

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank-you for your wonderful comments about our hotel, our services and our staff. It is fabulous that you had a wonderful 9 day stay with us in our beautiful city. We appreciate your comments about our culinary preparations in Temple Restaurant. We do have a new seasonal menu and it is awesome and delicious as you found out. Hopefully we will see you again soon.
Sycamore, IL
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This hotel was very nice. Clean, well kept, and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. I was not impressed with the restaurant. The service for breakfast was slow and I overheard a waitress being rude with a guest when he asked for a refill on his orange juice, saying, "You know thats $5 a glass!". First of all, that price is outrageous and second, rude. Its also been a full week and my Marriot points aren't posted.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JoeP14
Thank-you for your wonderful comments about our hotel and staff. I will be happy to pass your feedback on to our Food and Beverage team and I can assure you that our team is known by our guests and our local customers for friendly, accomodating service in all areas. We look forward to be of service to you in the near future.
MA
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Sometimes I read reviews on Tripadvisor (no particular hotel/activity) and I can’t help but wonder “can an experience be that amazing?” I feel like people on here are cheesy and ridiculous.

I’ll admit I’m the hard to please type. I always find something wrong wherever I go, whatever I do, and I want things to be exceptional… not standard.

Time is something I value now that I have children, and since I can’t travel far at this moment in my life (for a quick 3 day getaway that was within driving distance) I thought the Renaissance in Providence would do its job.

The Renaissance didn’t do its job. It went over and above in more ways than one.

When my husband and I arrived we were immediately greeted by a cheerful front desk and handed an envelop from Angelo, the General Manager, wishing us a happy 5th yr anniversary. Inside contained some treats and the front desk went ahead and added to it. We weren’t even there 5 minutes and already felt like a valued guest. We were so appreciative that really went the extra mile to make us feel special and welcome. Thank you Angelo!!!!!!

Hotel itself: It’s the old Masonic building and the hotel did an incredible job keeping the structure and character of the building in tact. It’s within walking distance to the wildfires and Providence place. You do not need a car but I was glad we had ours. We visited Twin River and Newport, I recommend the later as slot machines aren’t my thing. If they are yours, you will love the endless selections and how close you are.

Room: We had a state capital view. That view is worth paying and then some. It’s absolutely stunning. I love the stripes and colors used throughout the room. It was spotless and of good size. Bathroom is small for what I’m used to but again I think they did a perfect job working with the space they had. Bed was comfortable and pillows were perfect. House keeping was a little late cleaning on one day but the hotel was at full capacity so when they finally made their way over, they did a great job.

Food: The breakfast buffet is delicious. They have an egg station, danishes, sides (roasted potatoes, meats, etc), bread and bagels, dairy (yogurt, granola, cereal). Well worth the money. Highly suggest it. One day our server was completely overwhelmed for whatever reason and not in the best of moods but the next morning we had a very cheerful girl right on top of her service. We ventured out for dinner and lunch so I can’t comment on that.

Valet: They were quick and always left the car running when asked. It was hot and humid so it really helped.

Late night front desk: We were lucky to cross paths with Thomas. He is an absolute treat. We came in late one night and he was more than happy to accommodate our requests. You can tell when someone does a job to get by and someone who it’s their nature to go above and beyond to make you feel special. He’s the above and beyond type and he was a highlight to our trip. Thomas you made our night and we are forever grateful for meeting you. THANK YOU

The Navigator/Concierge service is fabulous. USE IT and trust them! My husband called with a laundry list of requirements in a dinner spot (I already admitted I’m picky) and without hesitation they suggested Gracies. I will drive to Providence for the rest of my life to eat at this place. It is worth every penny.

We enjoyed our stay so much that we have already booked our next quick getaway and will be staying there again in October, this time we are bringing some friends.

Room Tip: Get a state capital view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tara.02
Thank-you for your comments about our hotel and staff. It is wonderful that you discovered our hotel and even more fabulous that we proved to be “Everything you want from a hotel and more!". Please be assured that I will share your comments and celebrate them with our team. We look forward to being of service in the near future.
White Plains, NY
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We decided to spend a weekend in Rhode Island; it rained all weekend so we spent a lot of time in the hotel. The hotel was beautiful, nicely decorated, spacious, and most importantly...clean!! I was very pleased with the accommodations. One thing that I was not very pleased with was the quality (or lack thereof) of the food we received from room service. The dinning experience is the sole reason that my rating is a 4 instead of a 5. There is a restaurant in hotel, which is part of the reason we expected room service to be decent, but it was barely tolerable. With that being said, the hotel is close enough to other food options, that even in the rain you can find some tasty alternatives. The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay at this hotel again; I just wouldn't make the mistake of ordering room service!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for your wonderful comments and I would like to apologize that you had a challenge with the culinary offerings in room service. We pride ourselves on our culinary accomplishments in Temple Restaurant and room service and I assure you that this is not a frequent challenge for us. I have passed your comments on to our culinary team and we will ensure we are focused on this immediately and in the future. Once again, thank-you for your comments.
Atlanta
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This was my third time staying at this hotel, and once again I was very pleased. Everyone from bell staff to front desk to housekeeping was courteous and helpful. This is evidence of great management. The rooms are comfortable and nicely designed, with really nice baths. The hotel restaurant, Temple, has very good kitchen, menu and service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank-you for your loyalty and it is wonderful that you once again found your stay with us a pleasure. We truly appreciate your positive comments about our team and services and rest assured we will celebrate your feedback with our team.